Cycling to work

Options
Hi, I'm Toby, I'm new to MFP and I'm looking for some advice. I downloaded the app a few days ago and it kind of inspired me to cycle the 3 miles to work instead of catching the bus. The only problm I have is actually cycling. I get up earlier and everthing but decide to catch the bus. I've aready lost motivation after cycling twice! Anybody got some adive for how I can break this bus routine?

Replies

• leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Hey Toby. I cycle to work every day and its about 3 miles each way. My main motivation is that it is quicker to cycle than to bus it! I used to hate the idea of turning up at work all sweaty but I take myself a change of top and that seems to be fine.

Is your route a nice route?

Leila
  • lowbeads
    lowbeads Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I cycle to work all the time. I'm temping at the moment and if I can help it, I cycle to all my different assignments. Living in London, this saves me heaps and heaps on extortionate public transport and my legs are getting to be in great shape.

Thing is you have to commit to ALWAYS cycling. Barring a hurricane or circumstances when I cannot avoid the tube, i.e heavy boxes, going out after work, I will cycle in the rain, hail or snow. (Have a change of clothes for when you get to work). when the weather becomes nicer, as it has already started to, you feel so rewarded for all the times you froze your *kitten* off.

Also since cycling everywhere and using MFP, the weight has just dropped off. That, I hope, should be ample motivation.

Save Money, Lose Weight.
    The bike is the way to go.
  • janehastings
    janehastings Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i tried cycling to work last summer and amazingly i felt so much more awake when i got there! i seemed to be more energetic in work and my mood was great. Unfortunately it's not an option for me when it's raining but i am really looking forward to starting again. The main thing is to be sure to leave loads of time - pick a relaxing route without too much traffic if possible - even if it's a longer journey, it will make it more enjoyable if you aren't dodging traffic. It can be daunting but keep at it and you really will feel better for it - the cycle home was great as a wind down after a day stuck in the office.

Make sure you have everything ready to go in the morning so you can't find make any excuses - i made sure my bike, helmet and bag etc were in my hallway so all i had to do was jump on and go

And be sure to reward yourself for doing it too :o) the money you save on the bus fare could be used at the end of the month for a treat! :smile: happy cycling!
  • armedgriffin93
    Options
    And be sure to reward yourself for doing it too :o) the money you save on the bus fare could be used at the end of the month for a treat! :smile: happy cycling!

I would be saving around £40 a month, which would let me get a gmy membership! I didn't think of that! haha
    I'm cycling everywhere now :smile: