Want to bike to work, need advice! D:

Options
So I want to bike to work and save gas and get my legs in better shape.
Thing is, I don't have a bike, and I'm unsure what kind to get (I don't really want to spend a fortune either).

I'll be traveling alongside a highway mainly; no sidewalks, just ruralish.
It's only 4.5-5 miles back and forth.

My main thing (besides not having a bike) is riding along the highway. Should I ride on the grass? Or hug the shoulder? Ahhh...!

Thanks for any advice. :))

Replies

• zenzoes
    zenzoes Posts: 187
    Options
    I would love to know this info also. Is there maybe a site that can be linked to get an idea of the dos and don't s of bike riding in town or like above mentioned along a busy road?
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I've just started cycling to work (12.2 miles each way,) but I'm over here in the UK!

Here I ride on the road, normally about 2' from the side of the road (to avoid the drain covers and debris.)

Make sure you buy an appropriate bike for the job & make sure you wear a helmet!
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    Maybe have a look at this website: http://www.ecovelo.info/

It is ran by a couple in California...
  • Thresherinc
    Options
    You need to think carefully and decide if commuting is all you're going to be doing on a bicycle, if it is then a commuter or hybrid type bike will certainly seem to fit the bill for you.

My advice would be get yourself off to your local bike shop and ask about a fitting, it is also worth thinking about what you may have to carry whilst cycling, a bike rack and pannier set may come in handy if it's too bulky to make cycling in a rucksack comfortable.

As to Highway cycling, in the UK I avoid riding at the kerb, that's where all the crap from the road is deposited making punctures far more likely, also riding on grass is far more difficult than riding on tarmac, speak to the guys at your bike shop for more advice as I have never been to the States and have no clue what the road recommendations are likely to be.

Good luck.

PS: I found this site which may help http://www.bicyclinglife.com/practicalcycling/commuteguide.htm
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I bike through a park that is basically miles of 2 lane roads with park areas along the side. There is a path, but that's mostly for walkers and families so I stick to the shoulder of the road. I generally have a good 3-4 feet of shoulder, but in some areas it's much smaller and I see the pro bikers basically hugging the line between the shoulder and the road, I guess to keep straight and be more efficient.

I believe law says you must ride with traffic (at least that's what we do in our area), DO NOT wear headphones, you need to hear traffic, and always always assume traffic cannot see you because more than likely they can't.

You can get a $100 bike at Target or Walmart, they will be heavier but for the purpose you want, I wouldn't suggest spending tons of money. You can always upgrade later.....I rode several miles a day (usually 10-20) with my Target bike for 2 years and it worked just fine.
  • fumblerdog
    Options
    I biked to work for a while (about 6 miles one-way), before I moved to the suburbs. I started out on a hybrid bike, and then I moved to a road/racing bike (I also cycle competitively as part of triathlons). The first step is to Google and see if there are any cycling groups in your area - not racing-type cyclists, but more recreational/commuting-minded folks. If so, maybe you can borrow or rent a bike and go out and ride a couple of times to see if you like it. If it doesn't float your boat, there's no point in investing any money.

The laws are different in each state - I generally take the whole lane, because we do not have a good passing law here in Georgia and if you hug the shoulder/curb, cars are more likely to engage in dangerous behavior trying to get around you.

It's much like driving a car, in that it just takes practice and a certain comfort level.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    The laws are different in each state - I generally take the whole lane, because we do not have a good passing law here in Georgia and if you hug the shoulder/curb, cars are more likely to engage in dangerous behavior trying to get around you.

I road ride in the UK and that assertive riding style pretty much reflects what I do.

Don't be forced into the gutter! Own the road, because that way they have to overtake you properly and pay attention to oncoming traffic etc rather than breeze past you with two inches between your thigh and the car!!
  • cloggsy71
    Options

Don't be forced into the gutter! Own the road, because that way they have to overtake you properly and pay attention to oncoming traffic etc rather than breeze past you with two inches between your thigh and the car!!

I couldn't agree with you more here!

Be safe, be seen - I use bright flashing LED lights front and rear during daylight hours to ensure I'm seen by car drivers etc.

Being a cyclist makes you a third class citizen over here :noway:
  • backinthenines
    Options
    Being a cyclist makes you a third class citizen over here :noway:

I kind of agree (assuming you were referring to the UK), there is much animosity from motorists towards cyclists.

But having said that... I'm a cyclist, a motorist, a runner ... and I think I can see many perspectives... but SOME cyclists really don't help themselves and give the rest of us a really bad image.

Now that petrol prices have risen, the roads are full of numpties on bikes... !!!

- can't show motorists when they want to turn left or right because they don't even have the bike skills to let go of one hand and indicate, so just swing across the road with no warning... :grumble:
    - no helmet :noway:
    - no high vis clothing or reflectors :angry:
    - no lights in the dark :explode:
    and best of all...
    - cycling with an iPod :sad: :sad: :sad:

AAAHHHRRGGGG!!!!!
    :mad:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I've just started cycling more to work (and sometimes the gym!) thanks to my daughter passing her driving test recently.

I have quite a racing model, and would really prefer one that was sturdier and had a basket for carrying things. I never use all those gears! A decent rucksack/ back pack is essential, and a lock to secure the bike when you get to your destination. And a thick skin. I was sorely tempted to scratch the Merc that had parked right in front of the cycle racks at the gym last week, making it impossible for me to park there.

I'm a cyclist, pedestrian, motorist AND motor-biker, so I hope I have a good understanding and tolerance of the different needs of all these groups. But expect a lot of ignorance :-(
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Ok, being an avid bike commuter before I switched jobs, I can tell you that first; check state laws for bicyclists. Most states require you and autos to follow the same road and traffic laws. This is good for you.

Go to a local bike shop. They have many entry level, inexpensive bikes designed just for that purpose that will perform better and longer than a K-Mart special, for just a tad more, plus you get expert advice and tuning by friendly folks. Support these guys, because they will become your best friends when you need bike repairs, accessories, general help/advice.

Drive the route, determine traffic patterns, and safe alternatives. For a 5 mile ride, give yourself at least 30 minutes when you start. Determine if the shoulder is wide enough to ride on, is there a lot of debris (i.e. trash, broken bottles, potholes...)

SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY!!! Headlight, blinky tail light, reflectors, bright clothing. Make yourself very visible.

Start out light. Maybe have a friend who lives near you, in case you need to drive home. The first few weeks, your legs and butt will be sore, so the return ride will be looked on with dread. As well, don't try to do 5 days a week at the onset. You're going to need recovery days in between.

Lastly, plan for the weather. A sunny morning can turn to a wet, windy afternoon. No fun riding in the rain without some outerwear.

Good luck. I enjoyed my days bike commuting, and wish I had a job where I still could. The bike time is peaceful and refreshing.

Check out:
    www.bicycling.com for bike commuting info, or google League of American Bicyclists. They are both great sources of info for bike commuting. Plus, May is National Bike to Work month in the U.S.
  • Thresherinc
    Options
    Now that petrol prices have risen, the roads are full of numpties on bikes... !!!

- can't show motorists when they want to turn left or right because they don't even have the bike skills to let go of one hand and indicate, so just swing across the road with no warning... :grumble:

There is no excuse for this, basic road safety and common sense dictate you should not be on the road if you do not know how to handle your machine.
    - no helmet :noway:
    There is no real conclusion as to whether or not a helmet makes you safer, I prefer not to wear one and will continue to not wear one. There's even evidence that helmets make the wearer feel safer and prone to unsafe riding, so in my opinion it is purely personal preference as to wearing a helmet.
    - no high vis clothing or reflectors :angry:
    - no lights in the dark :explode:
    These are so crucial and important they really cannot be stressed enough.
    and best of all...
    - cycling with an iPod :sad: :sad: :sad:

AAAHHHRRGGGG!!!!!
    :mad:

Each to their own I ride with music playing alongside a pace making app tracking distance/speed/route etc, I can still hear the traffic but again it's personal choice.
  • backinthenines
    Options
    There are many people with head injuries today that would have been wholly preventable had they worn a cycle helmet.

But there is also some evidence that cars give a rider a little more room when someone isn't wearing a helmet. The evidence on driver behaviour is actually pretty inconclusive. What you do with your brain is your business.... as long as you don't rely on public funds to care for you once you've become a cabbage!

Same counts for when you think it's not necessary to have all your senses (incl hearing) together when you're on the road.

It's up to you, it's your life... Just hope you have good accident insurance that coughs up for your care afterwards.
  • Thresherinc
    Options
    There are many people with head injuries today that would have been wholly preventable had they worn a cycle helmet.

Your point on the hearing is totally valid, however I choose to do it.

Your quoted point above is however I believe nothing more than at best Urban Myth and at worst scaremongering of the "Won't somebody think of the children" kind.

I invite you to research the subject.

This site here http://www.cyclehelmets.org has some interesting articles that make some excellent points.
    Here's a quote from one of the articles
    Furthermore concern has been expressed that the most serious types of head injury involve rotational forces that cycle helmets do not reduce and in some circumstances might make more likely.

Best to read the whole site so you don't take it out of context.
  • cloggsy71
    Options