what to go to school for..

social work

criminal justice

education

can't decide.

Replies

• lilscotslass
    Options
    I'm assuming you've already done this, but thought I'd suggest it anyway: a pros and cons list for each of them? See what has the most pros.
  • KristenAnn711
    Options
    Yah I go over it and over it. Just can't figure out which one is best for me. I know social work is my strong point, but I would have to get a Masters to do a lot of what I want to do and I'm not sure I'm up for that.
  • vxmittyxv
    vxmittyxv Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I wanted to do Social Work too. Then I realized the money a social worker makes is not worth the expense of college tution. So I ultimately went for marketablity and double majored in Business and CIS. Figured more career options that way. I know too many people that Major in something like Nursing, only to find out the hate the work, and now their degree is useless.
  • liz11599
    liz11599 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Make a list of the different professions you can go in to with the different degrees. Figure out which best suits you. Then find a good advisor at school to steer you in the right direction for that major you've chosen. If you're entering your freshman year, then you have some time before you have to declare your major. Take a class in each major this first year (a lot of the same classes meet requirements toward different degrees, so you wouldn't be wasting your time). If you need to list a major for admittance purposes then list your most favorite one and if you decide that major isn't for you down the road, you can always change your major. Best of luck to you.:smile:
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Look at the curriculum of all three- surely there are some classes in common- take the common classes first, see if you can intern/ follow different individuals that work in the three areas and then decide based on the experience you have
  • Suelle613
    Suelle613 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    May I suggest spending a day or two with someone in those fields of work and seeing exactly what it means to do their jobs and maybe you'll recognize some parts you would not enjoy or some you would love enough to make it a profession or not.
  • Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    an education :-)
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    With you not being able to deicide within those 3 choices I wonder what may happen if you pick one and then decide that you wanna do something completly different.

Sorry, my spellin a way off today!!
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I was in school for journalism then realized I was on par with McDonald's front counter workers in terms of pay. Switched to computers.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Well.... there is a shortage of basket weavers in this country.

And try to find a good black smith! Where did they go?