Is it okay to wear toning shoes on the treadmill?

Options
I heard from someone that your shouldn't or couldn't or something...

Replies

• 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Curious too.. always wondered about this!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I wear my Reebok easy-tones on the treadmill all the time. I didn't feel much of a differance when I started walking in them any way.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    The danger is that you will roll an ankle. The theory behind toners is that they create instability, so your muscles are constantly working to stabilize you. However, this instability when doing something other than walking (biking would prob be ok too) is that you will do something too fast and roll an ankle, which is obviously undesirable. Reebok makes some Runtones (I have and love them) that are specifically designed for running--less instability than other trainers, but safer.
  • lnelson88
    lnelson88 Posts: 64
    Options
    Thank you. That makes total sense.
  • wifeofsnoh8r
    Options
    I heard of people breaking ankles using those shoes on a treadmill. I just wear my regular shoes when I use my elliptical
  • punkrawkcutie
    punkrawkcutie Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    If they are designed as a running shoe then no worries, but most of them are not designed as a "training" shoes and have either a pamphlet or say on the box to not wear them to work out. Reebok makes both cross-training and running shoes (they are the easy-train and run-tone lines) and sketchers just came out with a whole line of fitness tone-ups. I know New Balance has rock-tones but it says on them that they are not a training shoe.
    Basically I would just follow what the box for that particular shoe says. Most are made for just everyday use though and not for "fitness" purposes
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    No run of the mill "toning shoe" will be specific enough to address your needs as a runner.

Why do you think there are literally hundreds of running shoes on the market? Not just to make money, but to address the gait-specific needs of various runners.

flat footed runners - pronating runners - high arched runners - supinating runners - heel striking runners - forefoot runners - heavy runners - light runners - distance runners - trail runners

If I saw you with your "easytones" or whatever on a treadmill, quite frankly I would think you havent got a clue and are an injury waiting to happen.

Honest opinion.

Go to a running shop, have gait analysis done and see what shoe is recommended for you.
  • lnelson88
    Options
    I don't RUN on the treadmill though. I just walk at a brisk pace and on an incline. But I'm not goin to wear them on the treadmill just to be safe. Thanks for all the comments. They helped. :happy:
  • denisec26
    denisec26 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    ok i took like an hr to check this yesterday because i wanted to buy shapeups and i was trying to pick a pair cause they have all different types. on their site they have a fitness section and have certain shoes for certain activities.
    so for walking, jogging they recommend 3 different pairs, for runners, theres another option, for working out, there another and so on..
    heres the site.

http://www.skechers.com/info/fitness

i was deciding between the action packed- originals and the xf's- i got the xf's because they have less of a curve which i thought would be good because i also walk briskly on the treadmill and work out to a dvd everyday.

hope that helps. i should get them in the mail in a few days so i can always let u know how it goes on the treadmill.
  • lnelson88
    Options
    These are the ones I bought.

http://www.skechers.com/style/11752/tone-ups-fitness-ready-set-tone/cclm

And thanks for the info! I actually did NOT research before I bought them but after looking at that site NOW am perfectly satisfied with my choice. I walked an hour and a half on a trail last night and can honestly say I feel a difference in just one use!