Tips to prevent binge eating

Options
I need some tips on how to prevent binge eating at night. I used to chalk it up to no will power, which may still be the case but its like I can't stop myself when I get home. I do great while I am at work but I am not surrounded by crackers, bread, pasta's, cookies, even cereal. It's like the second I taste something sweet I go crazy. I am under my calorie goal mind you but my carb intake is way to high. I need some pointers from those that have been where I am now. How did you do it? I would love to just not buy those things but I have kids that eat that stuff. Help.

Replies

• enteralterego
    Options
    I was going to suggest not having them in the house untill I read you have them around for kids.
    Some people but pics of them at there fattest inside the cuboards where the treats are kept so when they go for a treat it's there as a reminder as what will happen if to many treats consumed
  • Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Get yourself some healthier options that mimic the foods you're craving. It sounds like if you can avoid those first few bites of carb-high goodies, you'll be all set. I really like sugar free Jello cups to curb my sugar cravings after dinner, and try to grab some carrots or celery when I want crackers or bread. Maybe put all of the kids carb-y things into one cabinet and make yourself not even open it when you get home from work?

You can do it!!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too. I actually eat the bulk of my calories at night. I know a lot of people cringe when I say that but I believe it comes down to calories in verses calories out, not when you eat them. Since I'm 4.4 lbs away from goal, seems to be working for me.

I have a snack around 6:00 pm. Usually tea with crackers (or a bagel thin) & peanut butter. Have some fruit at 7pm. I eat dinner between 8 & 9 pm. Will have a snack, usually skim milk and a 100 calorie pack (my sweet tooth satisfier for the day) before bed. And there are days, if there is a more than a couple hours between my dinner and my bedtime snack, I'll have a piece of fruit in between.

So basically I eat a little something every hour from 6pm on, keeps me satiated and I rarely binge. Keep in mind though I work out very hard so I have the calories I can eat back. If you don't burn as many, you can still plan like this, just may have to make the snacks smaller.
  • sammybey
    sammybey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am not a mother so maybe I don't understand- but it seems backwards to keep food in the house for children after you've identified it as being bad or sugary etc. Maybe just don't keep buying those foods anymore? Teaching kids clean healthy eating would only be a benefit.

Or you could buy 100-calorie packs of cookies for you and the kids as treat items only. Or healthy, unprocessed snack alternatives. Make a deal with yourself that if you drink a full glass of water and wait 20 minutes and STILL crave the food, then and only then can you eat it. Portion out all snack foods immediately after buying them so it may be harder to binge.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I usually have an instant coffee drink with just the right amount of sweet after my dinner. I also have sugar free candies that have about 10 calories each in them that helps with that sweet craving. One thing you need to really train yourself to do is only eat when you're hungry. Recognize the difference between hunger and a craving. Cravings come and go. If you're hungry, have a little protein and some water.
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I need some tips on how to prevent binge eating at night. I used to chalk it up to no will power, which may still be the case but its like I can't stop myself when I get home. I do great while I am at work but I am not surrounded by crackers, bread, pasta's, cookies, even cereal. It's like the second I taste something sweet I go crazy. I am under my calorie goal mind you but my carb intake is way to high. I need some pointers from those that have been where I am now. How did you do it? I would love to just not buy those things but I have kids that eat that stuff. Help.

Options hot chocolate and a cadbury brunch bar, that is what kept me going for the first month of this. I saved enough calories to have this as an evening snack.
    I am not a mother so maybe I don't understand- but it seems backwards to keep food in the house for children after you've identified it as being bad or sugary etc. Maybe just don't keep buying those foods anymore? Teaching kids clean healthy eating would only be a benefit.

Or you could buy 100-calorie packs of cookies for you and the kids as treat items only. Or healthy, unprocessed snack alternatives. Make a deal with yourself that if you drink a full glass of water and wait 20 minutes and STILL crave the food, then and only then can you eat it. Portion out all snack foods immediately after buying them so it may be harder to binge.

I keep things in for the kids to have as a snack. We have some biscuits and some chocolate and as someone else identified they aren't healthy but i let my children have a mini chocolate hob nob or a mini party ring every other day and they have a bit of chocolate on the weekend. I want to teach them that it's oky in moderation to have anything. Also i let them have it regardless of behaviour as i'm trying to teach them no food is a reward. I was brought up where the reward for everything was a treat food, so much so that i still have difficulties thinking of fun treats that aren't food related. I don't want my kids to grow up like that.
  • Strawberry34
    Options
    Well, to be honest.....I can't have anything in my house, that is a food that I would binge on. And I have a 14 year old daughter, that is a very picky eater. Try replacing the cookies with fruit, and the cereal with oatmeal. I've never binged on fruit or oatmeal, lol. I know what u mean about wanting your kids to eat "normal" and you want them to be able to have treats. "Why should our kids suffer because of our eating problems?" But I have learned over the years that it might be best to not buy those things to keep in the cabinets. If I feel the need for a sweet treat, make an event out of it and go to the store or wherever and buy a single ice cream or something.

And snacking through out the day, and not skipping meals is important too. Don't ever let yourself get hungry. That helps me. Hope this helps!! :)
  • neverrgiveup
    Options
    brush your teeth :) haha thats what I do after my last snack that I planned for the day, so I dont go back to the kitchen and get more food
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options

I agree with this. Also, if you're hungry, wouldn't it be better to have a small healthy meal, rather than snacking? I never really get why people have 'snacks' parts in their diaries...
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I don't buy in chocolates, crisps, biscuits, cookies, sweets/candy, cheese, white bread... anything I know I can't control myself with. Occasionally I kid myself that I can handle it, and then regret it afterwards. So 9/10 times, I refuse to buy it. If I want chocolate, I will eat it outside of home. :)
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i know kids will want cookies and treats like that, i have 2 kiddos myself *ones only 7 months so shes not there yet lol* but try to limit their intake of junk too, i know totally ruling it out is unrealistic, but try having more fruit around, we keep canned fruits around too...the ones packed in juice though. i feel your pain, i made some cookies a couple days ago and its so hard to stay away from em...i limit myself to one a day. im not sure about how to give you any advice from binge eating, i dont have that problem so ive never been there done that. every once in a while ill have a bad day, but the next day im back on track.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i know kids will want cookies and treats like that, i have 2 kiddos myself *ones only 7 months so shes not there yet lol* but try to limit their intake of junk too, i know totally ruling it out is unrealistic, but try having more fruit around, we keep canned fruits around too...the ones packed in juice though. i feel your pain, i made some cookies a couple days ago and its so hard to stay away from em...i limit myself to one a day. im not sure about how to give you any advice from binge eating, i dont have that problem so ive never been there done that. every once in a while ill have a bad day, but the next day im back on track.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest drinking a glass of water before eating. Sometimes you can confuse thirst for hunger.

Another thing is to reward yourself occasionally, so that you aren't constantly craving all of these sugary foods.

And you can always limit what you keep in the house. Even with children, you can buy healthier options for them as well.

Carrots make a great snack that fill you up. When I was on a cut I ate a ton of carrots, chewed gum, and drank tons of water.
  • Cynderella91
    Options
    Try eating mints or brushing your teeth. The clean mint feeling will make you not want to binge. Either that or the mints, in general, will provide you with the little bit of sweetness that you're craving. It does help. Either that or do something that keeps your hands busy. Paint your nails, crochet, braid your hair! Anything! I've struggled with it, still do, and determined that mints are really the best way to go. For me at least.

Hope it helps =)
  • AmandaArnwine
    Options
    Buy Fruit and veggies and Binge on those.. I'm sorry , but if you know you shouldn't eat it .. why poison the children .. they only eat what YOU provide.. I say TAKE CONTROL for the family's sake..Stock the kithen with Healthy options.. Carbs are ADDICTING..
  • pinksherbert
    pinksherbert Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    . Don't ever let yourself get hungry. That helps me. Hope this helps!! :)

I have to say I disagree with this - I think feeling hunger is important. I do however agree that it is best not to get tooo hungry or there is a tendency to binge, But actually feeling hunger is how we are built to survive. It also allows your body to dig into those reserves it is storing.

I like the idea that someone on here mentioned about giving treats every other day - I think it is important to show that every day should not involve a treat. Although during my journey on this, I am trying to find the 'treats' in the little things in life - like a nice bath, or a trip to the gym (cos I feel so good afterwards), or a good book or something - to remind myself that food is the focus of my world!

Thanks.
  • SweetBeth
    SweetBeth Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    chromium helps curb sugar cravings. It's a mineral supplement that can be found at any health food store. I take it with my vitamins. :-)
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Agree this is so hard. If it's in the house it tends to call to you. Especially if no one is looking.

My best defense is a toothbrush, and to keep my hands active doing something else if I'm with someone else eating things I am craving. I read somewhere even just subtly pinching your wrist or fingers can distract the urge. Keep something moving and focus on that. Sounds silly but it can help.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I secOnd the vegetable thing
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Brushing your teeth, or drink caffeine free mint tea. If you are actually hungry, then eat some of the suggested foods here. I find that if I just want to eat bad food and am not actually hungry, having a large cup of caffeine free tea helps a lot. Celestial Seasonings has a whole line of dessert teas that are pretty awesome. I love the English Toffee and Sugar Cookie Sleigh Ride.