Anyone actually trying to gain weight?

Options
Any weight lifters out there? I've noticed that every thread I read is people cutting.
Wondering if anybody on the site lifts and eats above maintenance to gain mass??

Replies

• YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    They are few and far between. What weight are you trying to hit this year?
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    They are few and far between. What weight are you trying to hit this year?

Atleast theres a few of us haha.
    I'm at like 152 now, I'm slow bulking through summer then I'm gonna start eating well over and try to hit 170-175 by next spring in time to cut.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    I've done it every fall for over 20 years. Last fall was the last time I'll ever do it unless I should get sick and lose some mass. I bump up in 100 calorie increments above maintenance and watch body fat percentage trying not to go above 18%
  • panthernight
    Options
    I'm trying to add mass to gain as much strength as possible, currently 175lbs. Trying to eat as close to 5000 calories a day as I can, but from good foods not just junk.
  • bmontgomery87
    Options
    I'm trying to add mass to gain as much strength as possible, currently 175lbs. Trying to eat as close to 5000 calories a day as I can, but from good foods not just junk.

bulking hard huh? I won't go over 4k a day. I'm at like 2800 now, working my way up.
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    As a female, it's never been my goal to build bulky muscle like some guys would like to have. Might I ask what kind of foods you have to eat that add up to 3000+ calories without eating junk food? Do you have to gradually build up that number so your stomach doesn't explode? :) It sounds so desperately foreign to me, so forgive the curiosity.

Good luck! :)
  • bmontgomery87
    Options
    As a female, it's never been my goal to build bulky muscle like some guys would like to have. Might I ask what kind of foods you have to eat that add up to 3000+ calories without eating junk food? Do you have to gradually build up that number so your stomach doesn't explode? :) It sounds so desperately foreign to me, so forgive the curiosity.

Good luck! :)

Yes I gradually build up. The first couple days on a bulk diet can be a little tough. I started around 2400 cals and I've been bumping up 100 cals every few days. I'll end up leveling out at around 3000 per day until summer is over. Then I'll go up to 3500 since I wont be walking around without a shirt in the winter.

Add me and you can see my daily diet and what it looks like.
    Mainly I plan my meals around protein. Trying to eat 200 g a day or so.
    I don't really eat anything I'd consider "junk" food other than the occasional reward. I've been eating some peanut butter captain crunch lately because it's a nice treat and helps me fill a couple hundred cals in the evenings.

The main thing is just meat. I get a lot of cals from that. And I do a preworkout meal that is a scoop of protein, 1 TBS of peanut butter, and 1/2 cup of oats. Thats around 350-450 cals depending on what brand of protein powder I use.

A few of the things I eat may not be viewed as "heatlhy" by some people, but I feel much better than I did before I started lifting and watching what I ate.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    My bulk is meager compared to you guys - averaging 2100 a day.
  • bmontgomery87
    Options
    Dang dude. That doesn't sound like much fun hahaha.

I like having a little room to enjoy myself with the extra cals. My cut was around 2000. Just did it for a month to get a little definition back. Gonna try bulking for a year and see if I can get decent size.