pre-chopping veggies?

Options
Hi All,

I really need to get more veg into my diet. I don't have a lot of time in the morning to prepare lunch so If i were to chop my veg the night before, would it last till 1pm the next day? I eat veg raw so it wouldnt be getting cooked.

So how long does veg last if you pre-chop it?

katie
xxx

Replies

• kelfelbel
    Options
    I pre-chop my celery and it lasts for a good 2 days at least (in baggies). Carrots, peppers, and broccoli keep for a day or two also. The only thing I always prep the 'morning of' are cucumbers. They tend to get watery/nasty if you do them the night before.
  • KrisPage
    KrisPage Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Most would be fine if kept cool, I will put in ziploc backs with some ice store in fridge overnight and add more ice before leaving to keep crisp.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    carrots, celery, and bell peppers are fine for a few days. Cucumbers can get slimy but the night before should be ok.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I pre-chop my veggies all the time. As long as I keep them in a baggie and semi cold/cool. They always seem great. If you have a ice pack you can take with you in your lunch..that helps!
  • sarabellum
    sarabellum Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I pre chop all of my veggies and just grab them and go - it's so much easier and then they don't just go bad in the fridge.
    I find that they keep just fine - you shouldn't have any problems.
    I chop up peppers and keep them in a container, buy baby carrots (to keep them from drying out, I keep them in a container with some water in it and that seems to work as well).
    I definately recommend it - it makes everything SO much easier :)
  • bmmiller4
    bmmiller4 Posts: 39
    Options
    Veggies will last for several days in the fridge after cleaned and chopped. I always clean mine when I get home and put them either in Tupperware Fridgesmart container or even just a zip lock bag. As long as you eat them in a timely manner you shouldn't have a problem.
  • curvykatie
    curvykatie Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys,

The veg I have in my fridge to prepare is: carrots, bell pepper, mangetout, sugarsnaps, mushrooms, brocoli, red onion and spring onions.
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I really need to get more veg into my diet. I don't have a lot of time in the morning to prepare lunch so If i were to chop my veg the night before, would it last till 1pm the next day? I eat veg raw so it wouldnt be getting cooked.

So how long does veg last if you pre-chop it?

katie
    xxx

According to what I was taught at catering school.... vegetables lose nutrients when they are cut.

So, if you cut them a long time before eating them, then you will have a lost a lot of the nutritional value of the vegetable - the same applies to leaving vegetables in water.