How do I thin my thighs?

Options
I have huge legs (it runs in the family), and as I gained weight they got bigger and bigger. I find that a lot of exercises will build the muscle, but not thin out my legs, so they get bigger (yet again). What is something that will make them lean and thin (as much as genetics will let them)?

Replies

• mazomama
    mazomama Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    bump:wink:
  • crystal10584
    Options
    bump
  • MrsWendyQ
    MrsWendyQ Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I don't know either, but I wanna know myself...(thank you mom)
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I've cut 10 inches off each thigh through running.
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    bump, I'd like to know too!
  • arw3b3
    arw3b3 Posts: 52
    Options
    I find that the 30 day shred is helping me to lose a lot of the fat on my thighs. I think it is the combination of cardio and strength training. As much as I hate lunges and squats I have to admit that they really are helpful in this battle:)

Good luck!!!!
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I have huge legs (it runs in the family), and as I gained weight they got bigger and bigger. I find that a lot of exercises will build the muscle, but not thin out my legs, so they get bigger (yet again). What is something that will make them lean and thin (as much as genetics will let them)?

By losing fat on a diet that requires your calories out > calories in.
  • bkthomas2004
    bkthomas2004 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Bump...big thighs over here too
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    I have bigger thighs as well (genetics). I've been doing heavy weight training and HIIT cardio and while my thighs aren't skinny, they're very muscular and there is no jiggling when I run. Squats and lunges are going to be your savior.
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    Yoga and pilates. I really like DVD's by Shiva Rea for Yoga. The Daily Energy Vinyasa Flow Yoga is in 20min segments and very doable for beginners and somebody more advanced. I like DVD's by Jennifer Kries for Pilates. Her Perfect Mix DVD being my favorite, but I only do the pilates part of it. It also has a cardio and yoga segments that I haven't tried.
    I
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I started in January w/28.5" thighs.. I am now at 25", I do squats, lunges and walking. I am one that gets muscular very easy, and I have noticed my hamstrings have tighten and toned quite abit, But it's taken off the fat also. When walking I am wearing ankle weights also to help tone.. It can be done, and you will see your muscle defnition start first and then the fatty tissue will start breaking down...
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    You cannot reduce just your thighs. You need to lose lose far over all your body. As you do so your thighs will eventually shrink as well.
  • maggieschuck
    Options
    Do low levels on the cardio machines at a fast pace. Most of the thinning will come from weight loss. All of my weight goes straight to my hips and its the last area to see a change. My hips were over 48 inches back in Dec 2010 and now im at 42 inches.

I like to lift weights, up the resistance levels and do tons on cardio. I got down to 143 lbs 7yrs ago and I was wearing a size 10 in pants. Through that weight loss I only dropped 2 pant sizes. Im not meant to be a bean pole. Im happier seeing muscle on my legs.

Ive spent the last 2 months building muscle and loosing inches. Not much was happening on the scale but I needed to see less cottage cheese and more definition. Talk to a trainer about how to target that area. You will need to build muscle but you don't want to look like Hulk. Muscle is denser than fat and will take up less room.

Try running, rowing, Zumba, bicycling, wall sits, side steps with a tension rope (outer thighs) and leg lunges (butt). Best of luck to you in your journey.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Weight training, running and continue with diet and regular exercise. Unfortantly you can not spot train but you can add exercises to target your inner thighs such as weighted leg lifts and weighted inner thigh leg lifts. Hydren leg lifts, sumo squats, walkin side sumo lunges. I have "loose" skin on my inner thighs from losing weight that weight trainin may never be able to fix. I wish you luck and I hope that I could be of some help.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Now that I am on a computer rather than on my tablet, I can give a longer answer. The best way to get rid of fat is High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT), or better yet the version of it that is a hybrid of HIIT and Strength Training called Metabolic Resistance Training (MRT). http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/rileysowner/view/metabolic-resistance-training-86959

This form of exercise burns far more fat than long duration steady state cardio, and my experience with it so far has been amazing. In those three weeks I have lost 1.25" on my hips, 1.25" on my waist, and 1" on my chest measurements. In that same time my weight has remained roughly the same (I am only looked to lose .5 pounds a weeks at this point and had a couple of cheat days in there as well which is normally only a once a month occurrence). Basically this means my body through MRT is resculpting getting rid of the fat and so becoming more lean and toned. I highly recommend this over doing long stretches of cardio at a more or less steady pace. Basically it turns into 3-4 workouts a week of 20-30 minutes (you can push longer if you really want to, but if you are doing it right you should be out of energy by 20-30 minutes usually closer to 20) You rest the other days and do a light workout to help your body recover from the MRT/HIIT workout. At this point I do all my MRT workouts only using body weight exercises, so you don't need lots of equipment to do it.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    As many people have said, the combination of cardio and strength training along with sticking to your MFP calories is the key.

Personally I found adding kettlebell swings, which can be a bit of both, really made a difference for me. For the first time my upper jeans legs are loose! BUT not on their own.

Good luck!
  • Akayen
    Akayen Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    this is my current leg slimming workout. twice a day or more whenever you can fit them in.

20 squats
    30 lunges
    40 toe touches
    50 sec wall sit against a wall, knees flexed 90 degrees
    100 sec jumping jacks
    50 sec wall sit against a wall, knees flexed 90 degrees
    40 toe touches
    30 lunges
    20 squats
  • darrenham
    darrenham Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot train. So there is no point concentrating your exercise on your legs more than you want to.

If you have an area that retains fat, it's because your genetics dictate that that is where fat is stored. Men tend to retain love-handles and bellies, women retain boobs, hips and thighs. That's not because men do less sit-ups and women do less bench press than men, it's purely genetic.

The only hope you have of de-fatting that area is surgery (no no no no no, don't do it) or more fat-loss. Remember though, if you can tense it, it ain't fat, you're just muscular, so many women think they have fat legs because they only look at them when they're sitting down, whilst the men who are following them down the street disagree.

People who were previously overweight are likely to have very muscular legs, the muscles have grown to be able lift you up out of your chair, walk to the fridge etc. They are likely to slim down naturally once they realise they no longer have to be that strong to do your day to day activities. In fact, focussing high weight, low rep training on your legs could see your legs appear bigger, if the fat doesn't shift and the muscles get bigger and stronger, then you're going to have bigger legs.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot train. If you have an area that retains fat, it's your genetics. The only hope you have of de-fatting that area is surgery (no no no no no) or more fat-loss. Remember though, if you can tense it, it ain't fat, you're just muscular.

People who were previously overweight are likely to have very muscular legs, the muscles have grown to be able lift you up out of your chair etc. They will naturally slim down once this extra strain is removed by you losing weight.

This. You have to reduce overall bodyfat to "tone" or thin areas. You can't do spot reduction.
  • tjones7
    tjones7 Posts: 306
    Options
    BUMP cause I need help too