new to this needing help

Options
I am a 48 yo woman who has had her thyroid removed due to cancer. I was seeing progress in the weight loss area then hit a bump. I can't seem to get over this bump. I work out 3 times a week (but trying to do more) and I am so trying to watch what I eat. I work in an office sitting most of the time so I depend on my work outs for exercise. I find myself getting hungry at work so I bring an apple, but that is getting old. If amyone has any ideas for great and healthy snacks and how I can ramp up my workout I would appreciate the input.

Thanks!

Replies

• MCDerin
    MCDerin Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome!
    There are actually a lot of "desk" or office workouts and stretches you can do. Not only will they be good exercise, but they will help break the monotony of the day and "wake" you up if you are sitting for a long time.
    This is just one site w/ some great ideas:
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/exerciseworkouts/l/blofficeworkout.htm

As far as snacks.....mix it up!
    Try cottage cheese (if you like it) with some fruit for a mid morning snack. The protein will help you feel full.
    Or, greek yogurt. It's higher in protein than regular yogurt and again, will make you feel fuller.
    If the apple alone is getting old, try bring (a portioned out amount) peanut butter or sugar free caramel to dip the apple wedges in.

If you would like other ideas, I am sure everyone will have others to offer :)
    Again, welcome!
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I have a desk job as well. Are you mixing up your workouts & not doing the same thing all the time?

On the snack topic, almonds are easy to carry with you. Any other fruits you like? Raw veggies? Sometimes I have the sugar free jello pudding when I have a sweet craving. Popchips are awesome if you're a chip kinda person.

Best of luck to you!
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I have a greek yogurt (plain) mixed with 2tbsps on all natural peanut butter. Its loaded with protein and keeps me full! Also, another snack I love is the laughing cow light cheese wedges. They are super yummy and creamy, only 35 calories each and they are good on some kind of whole wheat or whole grain cracker. another tip, they are a great substitue for regular cheese or mayo in sandwiches, and they are a great addition to eggs.
  • Shell521
    Shell521 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you can give yourself more exercise that would def help! (but if what I know about thyroid removal is true, it will def slow your weight loss down, so don't be too hard on yourself when its not your fault) Maybe just get in a 30 minute walk in the morning before work or after work if that is when you have more time. Every little bit helps!

For snacks, I like all kinds of fruit, apples, bananas, oranges. I know fruit gets boring at some point though. Have you tried the Special K cracker ships? Their pretty yummy & 110 for chips, pretty satisfying and way healthier than regular potato chips, but they have almost the same consistency & taste so you feel like you are eating potato chips still! What about quaker multigrain fiber crisps for something sweet! Their yummy too and easy for you to snack on at work. I love the wild blue berry ones & 110 calories for 13 of them! They have all kinds of different flavors too! Good luck and just remember the most important part is you are still here & the cancer is gone!
  • mommy3x
    mommy3x Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Do you have stairs where you work? I go up and down the stairs a few times a day (desk job also) just to move a little. I love to snack on cottage cheese and frozen blueberries - very yummy! Try walnuts or almonds - also quite tasty, and filling. Good luck!!
  • lworton
    lworton Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the good ideas and please keep them coming.
  • 06fusion4us
    Options
    I am no pro but let me tell you what works for me.

Protein heavy snacks!!!
    Cottage Cheese
    Cheese Sticks
    Beef Jerky (WATCH OUT FOR THE SODIUM)
    Chicken Breast (I have made grilled chicken nuggets)

You can always change it up and do a different routine. Our body learns and learns quick. LOL

Good Luck
  • loseit65
    loseit65 Posts: 47
    Options
    Welcome, and good luck to you. I also sit at a desk all day 5 days a week, dental receptionist. So i understand , the not moving much during the day and staring at computer. . this is my 1st week of joining the mfp. so i'm hoping with all the comments and blogs , i will be encouraged to move forward with some success. there are great stories here of struggles and achievements, and I'm looking forward to the journey. hope to share again with you. :)
  • bethgholmes
    bethgholmes Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    These are all great snack ideas! I would second almonds as a great snack! I also like carrots with a portion of hummus to dip them in. It's high in protein and tasty.

Welcome -- and I am so glad you are cancer free. My best friend had here thyroid removed for the same reason just before Christmas so I've heard a bit about what your going through.

~Beth:smile:
  • NicholasMongold
    Options
    Welcome feel free to add me I'd love to be able to help
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    Another "desk jockey" here! I work on the 3rd floor and I am now walking those stairs instead of taking the elevator! For snacks I always pack: an apple, baby carrots that I dip in a little hummus, and some light string cheese. Lately I've been bringing along a "cutie" (mandaran orange) as a snack too. I save my apple for the drive home - it helps to fill me so that I am not "starving" before dinner is ready.