50-60 Calorie Peanut Butter Bon-Bons (Vegan)

Options
Barelmy
Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
Based on this recipe --> http://walking.about.com/od/dessertrecipes/r/pbbonbons.htm

006.JPG

These are amazingly simple. And so yummy!

Ingredients

20g Cereal (I used Tesco Special Flakes, which, incidentally, are more fortified than Special K, have less sugar, and are much cheaper. You're welcome.).
Fruit/Berries - the batch in the picture are made with two tablespoons of raisins (approximately 10g), but you could also use two large strawberries, or four chopped glacé cherries. I would suggest something soft enough to go well with the peanut butter - I don't think apple would work, but try it if you like - but hard enough to keep its shape (so not raspberries).
3 Tablespoons Peanut Butter (I use Tesco Wholenut, which is £1 a jar. I used to get Whole Earth, but I figure I can consume a bit of vegetable fat for the price difference. At least it has no sugar/e-numbers).

1. Crush the cereal (I used a potato masher). Reserve a tablespoon or two for coating the bon-bons.
2. Chop the berries/fruit into small pieces. Mix with the cereal crumbs and the peanut butter, using a fork.
3. With your hands, shape the mixture into eight balls of about 1-inch diameter. Roll in the reserved crumbs to coat, then stick in the fridge for about twenty minutes (or eat them anyway, which is what I did).

These are really quick, and don't require any special ingredients - this was all stuff I had in the cupboard anyway. They look like they've taken a bit of effort, though, and they taste absolutely delicious. They also hold up to being transported surprisingly well.

(From my blog ---> http://vegan20eleven.blogspot.com/2011/04/peanut-butter-bon-bons.html)

The raisin versions, as I made them, came to 49 calories, 4g carbs, 2g protein, 3g fat, and 1g sugar. The fat will be lower if you use a different kind of peanut butter.

With glacé cherries (about 25g), 55 calories, 5g carbs, 2g protein, 3g fat, and 3g sugar.

With two large strawberries, 47 calories, 3g carbs, 2g protein, 3g fat, 1g sugar.

Replies