Exercising with scoliosis

Options
Does anyone have scoliosis and know of any exercises that help or hinder? I have significant curves in 3 places. I've never done yoga but wonder if that would help.

Replies

• ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    my friend has scoliosis and she swears by yoga. I think it would depend on how bad your curvature is,etc as hers is only mild and yoga strengthened it very well.
  • bast2112
    bast2112 Posts: 63
    Options
    My yoga teacher has severe scoliosis. I think it could definitely help! Good luck!
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    I don't know, but bless you for not giving up on your health!
  • VialOfDreams
    Options
    I have scoliosis, with a 35 degree curvature and a 41 degree one (I feel very self-conscious about my back, b/c there is a visible bump where the muscles are pushed to the side). It's really, really painful. Or I should say it WAS. Ever since I lost the weight, my back only hurts when I lift things or stand for a long time. I can even do a back bend (my doctor would probably kick me for it). Yoga is amazing, especially Bikram yoga. In addition, you should take up swimming. I had daily pains for 20 years until I went to master swim class... after the first class I bent to pick up my towel and for the first time in twenty years I felt ZERO pain from bending.

Best wishes to you!:heart:

(Edit: I sure hope I didn't jinx myself. :tongue: )
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    Wait! I might know one. Tai Chi. I took it in college and the professor was a very nice elderly man that was in an accident that messed up his balance. Then he took up Tai Chi and he swears he got 95% of his balance back. I would imagine it would be good for people with Scoliosis, too. It's very low impact. I took it over 10 years ago when I was about 300lbs without (much) difficulty.
  • orchidandwasp
    Options
    My yoga teacher has rather severe scoliosis, and yoga has been a godsend for her. She had very noticeable curvatures in her spine, which caused her lots of pain and severe migraines. She is now pain free because of her consistent practice. I suggest you try a few studios, find the one that you are happiest and most comfortable practicing in. There are many approaches to yoga, but all of them will help you to lengthen your spine and develop the muscles that will support alignment. The key is to find the one that you enjoy the most and be consistent in your practice. Also, let your teachers know that you have scoliosis, it will help them guide your practice and make adjustments if necessary.

Here's a yoga journal article about it, but there are tons out there if you want to learn more.
    http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/1060

Have fun!
  • lnelson88
    lnelson88 Posts: 64
    Options
    My main curve is in the high 50 degrees. I HATE the way I look from behind and will never be able to look good in racer back tanks because they twist to the side all the time. It sucks. But I want to try some yoga. Are some yoga videos harder than others? Like pilates I like but have tried some videos where I absolutely could not do the moves. lol
  • lnelson88
    Options
    Oh and I don't know how to swim... :frown:
  • VialOfDreams
    Options
    Oh and I don't know how to swim... :frown:

You don't have to. They have classes for beginners and also aquatic aerobics.
    I HATE the way I look from behind and will never be able to look good in racer back tanks because they twist to the side all the time. It sucks.

I hear ya. I HATE wearing swim suits, but my fiance keeps telling me it's not that obvious. And he is probably right. One suggestion: look in the mirror from the front, and focus on the rest of your body.
    But I want to try some yoga. Are some yoga videos harder than others? Like pilates I like but have tried some videos where I absolutely could not do the moves. lol

The reason I recommend Bikram is the fact that they make the room really, really hot, which helps relax the muscles, therefore you get the full benefits of the postures. Don't do yoga if you haven't before without an instructor. It can do more damage.
  • nph1960
    nph1960 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have a very pronounced scoliosis, and had surgery in '04 to stabilize it. I now have two rods and 13 fused vertebrae in there.

I currently stick with using an elliptical machine for my workouts. I bought the same machine (Precor) that I had used at the YMCA, as I knew I was able to get a great workout without any back discomfort. Expensive, but worth it, for me.

I used to swim laps, as well. That is without a doubt the best overall workout.

So I would recommend those two, but yoga should be worth a try. Just take it slow and gentle.

PS If you haven't had your back examined recently, I would strongly urge you to do so. I was shocked to learn at age 44 that my curvature was not stable (as I had been told in my 20's) and had in fact progresed over the years. Surgery was imperative to prevent my internal organs from getting too cramped to function. Happy to say surgery went very well and I am as good as new. Good luck!
  • lnelson88
    Options
    PS If you haven't had your back examined recently, I would strongly urge you to do so. I was shocked to learn at age 44 that my curvature was not stable (as I had been told in my 20's) and had in fact progresed over the years. Surgery was imperative to prevent my internal organs from getting too cramped to function. Happy to say surgery went very well and I am as good as new. Good luck!

I have been for the first time in 20 years and found that my curve HAS worsened but not sure WHEN as for some reason I did not go to my yearly follow up as a teenager. I am a candidate for surgery but cannot afford to be off of work for the length of time needed to recover. That is why I'm trying to find ways to strengthen my back and lengthen my spine if at all possible without surgery. Thanks for the comments and encouragements! :heart: