Everyones talking P90x and Insanity..

Options
I've heard a lot about these workouts on this board. When watching the advertisements, they look really intimidating. Everyone has ripped abs and perfectly scuplted bodies. :\ lol

Is it 5 days a week and hour a day? I am thinking about trying it. It's very intimidating for me, but I need something to push me. I am in that rut!

Replies

• AmandaArnwine
    Options
    6 Days
  • beckymike36
    beckymike36 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    6 days and then a rest day, most workouts are 1 hr.
  • manettaMikey
    manettaMikey Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    its 6 days a week an around an hour or 90 minutes. Sure people are ripped cause they ar marketing it to you. The programs are tough but if you are dedicated you can get through ti. I wouldn't get them though if you dont have a normal workout routine already because 6 days a week an hour a day is a lot to adjust too. I've done both programs a few times around and their pretty good.
  • marinabrazil
    marinabrazil Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Im on my second round of P90X and totally love it...it seems intimidating and you think you can't do it, but it is amazing to see how far your body can actually go! I would really give it a shot if I were you...

P90X is 6 days a week with workouts from 1 hour to 1:30h (only Yoga is that long).

Good luck!
  • Gvgoldmedal
    Options
    Never done Insanity but P90x is intense but fun. Most are an hour long which includes warm up and cool down. If it gets over whelming hit pause and rest.. walk around grab some water and towel off. Then hit play when you are ready. So the first couple of weeks you can count on it being longer than an hour as you try to keep up. But you'll see results. Its incredibly worth it. Just pick a 1 1/2 time frame each day and make that your P90x time. Good luck!
  • gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    Options
    ABRipper x is a beast
  • snowsflake
    snowsflake Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I love P90X it is an amazing workout and really good for people that need the structure and don't want to create their own workouts, like me. They are all challenging, but the great part about it is when you finish a workout how accomplished you feel. I think you would really enjoy them. Good luck! :)
  • angel_eyes17
    angel_eyes17 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I wasn't ready for P90X so I'm starting P90 on Sunday. I believe that one is about 35-45 minutes, 6 days a week. I have to work my way up to X. Good luck!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    You don't have to follow it. I refuse to workout 6 days a week. I don't feel the need to do that. I use the strength training DVD's according to the plan. I'm still working on cardio. I did the Core Synergystics yesterday and loved it.

I'm not following the meal plan to a "T" either. I couldn't do 30% carbs and 50% protein so I'm at 40% carb and 35% protein. Chose this according to advice I received from a trainer on this site.

In 5 months of diet and cardio (light strength training) I lost 8 lbs and nothing on my belly (thinned out everywhere else). Within 3 weeks of weight lifting I have dropped 2mm on my belly fat according to my calipers. (this is with barely any cardio - I'm working in a couple of 30 minute HIITs and his other DVDs when I feel like variety).

I could probably get better results but I'm not an extreme person. Love the set though. Haven't tried Insanity. That's entirely too much cardio.
  • JPayne53
    JPayne53 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    They are great workouts... if you can stick with it... depending on the type of workout warrior you are and what styles you are comfortable with.. I absolutely cannot motivate myself to do a home DVD workout!! I have tried and failed several times to do P90X.. I just can't stick with it at home.. so my modification (sense I know I need to be in a gym to get my full workout) I took the booklet to the gym and followed the plan.. so that's always an option!! The routine is killer for sure!! To get those ripped abs my suggestion is stick to the diet plan, whether you do the DVD's at home or try it at the gym. INSANITY IS INSANE!! My best friend (she is also a friend on MFP leigh82 and I'm sure she would love to hear from you if you try it) has done this workout several times and LOVES IT and has had amazing results.. another highly recommended.. but for whatever reason this is all body weight work and I think really needs to be done at home. And again stick to the diet plan for optimum results... let me know how your journey goes!
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I can only speak to P90X, not Insanity, but I say go for it! I'm 58 years old and had no previous history of weight lifting but I bought P90X and have completed it several times. It can be intimidating, but it is doable for most people. You control the weight, you control the intensity, and you control the number of reps, so you can do it at some level! And all of the dvd's show modified moves for those not up to it. I highly recomend P90X for anyone who is interested. The workouts can be long, but as Tony (the trainer) says, modify, hit pause, do whatever you need to do, but keep pushing "play" and you will get results. I am currently using the strength training portion only and getting cardio outdoors. I do love the plyo in P90X and use it on bad weather days. Next Fall I'm adding Insanity. Good luck to you!
  • joseplasma
    Options
    I've been using P90X for about 3 months - 3 times a week - 1 hour to 1 1/2 hrs a day. If i'm proof you dont have to stick to the 6 day a week work out if you just want to feel better. Its great. During the workouts I do what I can. It definately changes your "shape". Highly recomend it. Lost 15lbs hitting my goal of 155lbs in less than 90 days.
    Joe
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    The beauty of P90X is you don't have to keep up to get a good workout. You can modify the workouts as they suggest to make them a little easier if you cannot do a pushup or pull up yet. There are many modifications you can use for each DVD. Try to keep moving and keep your heart rate in your workout zone for the full time and you are good. I still do my pushups at an angle so they are easier and use bands for the pull ups instead of a pull up bar. I still get sore and know the workouts are pushing me so progress is being made, that is the most important part.
  • MaryS910
    MaryS910 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    You don't have to follow it. I refuse to workout 6 days a week. I don't feel the need to do that. I use the strength training DVD's according to the plan. Haven't tried Insanity. That's entirely too much cardio.

You bring up an interesting point. There are those who say that 30 minutes of intense cardio per day is plenty and anything over that amount isn't really benefitting you. Anyone have thoughts on this??
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    You don't have to follow it. I refuse to workout 6 days a week. I don't feel the need to do that. I use the strength training DVD's according to the plan. Haven't tried Insanity. That's entirely too much cardio.

You bring up an interesting point. There are those who say that 30 minutes of intense cardio per day is plenty and anything over that amount isn't really benefiting you. Anyone have thoughts on this??

Not sure about benefits or not, I prefer to not do more than 30 min of cardio at the gym. Before or after cardio though I will strength train so the entire workout last about an hour. I guess it depends on how many calories you want to burn :-)
  • AFitasticYou
    Options
    I am doing P90X right now. It's awesome! It's tough, but Tony encourages you to us the pause button & take breaks if you need too. Like others have said, it's 6 days a week but can be 7 if you do the stretch DVD instead of resting. Yoga X is difficult! I've heard that alot of people wills substitue Yoga X for another Yoga DVD. I'm going to by the Biggest Loser Yoga to do in place of it. I think one of the cool things about P90X is seeing not only the changes in weightloss, but your strength. You track your lbs & reps and you can see how you are improving as you go on.
  • JustMichelleB
    Options
    Am on WK 9 of P90X and very happy my husband bought it (got it for himself, but I'm now the one actually doing it!). I was already working out for ~40min 5-6itmes a week, so it wasn't a HUGE change, but the 90min of yoga is quite, well, long (although love it and have become stronger and more flexible just by doing this weekly). Highly recommend. I don't belong to a gym, I run on a treadmill or do dvds, and P90X is in a class by itself (although the cardio is kinda lame, except for the Plyo, which rocks).
  • dcjeffries
    dcjeffries Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have to say it is what you want to put in that determines what you get out of it. P90X has no gimmicks, no tricks, just hard work. I love the phrase, "it's not easy, but it is simple." The program is complete too and truly extreme (like the 'X' stands for). I am on my second round. My first round, I committed to the program fully and used the portion plan that was included with the nutrition guide. I ended up getting stronger and losing 21 lbs. (186 to 165), but I never got ripped like the infomercials. Again, I have heard a lot of people saying... well those are the infomercials... you can't expect those results. But I didn't buy it... did I really go hard enough? So I took some time off and returned to some of my less than desirable eating habits.

I attribute my success and progress so far with my coach. His name is Wayne Wyatt. He might just have the most amazing transformation I have ever seen. I looked at what he did in 90 days and said, "I must know what he did...'cause then I could copy him exactly!" His site, www.teamripped.com, has been a HUGE resource. Wayne directed me on a deficit diet. Back to my first round, I was eating 2400-2600 calories a day. Fine for my weight, and I still lost some, but way too much to really drop fat quickly. I settled on a 1600 calorie plan for the first 30 days at P90x's Fat Shredder percentages (50 pro/ 30 carb/ 20 fat). I have stayed at those percentages but bumped my calories to roughly 1800-1900 (my body started asking me for more). Man has it worked! I started this round at 168 lbs. and by day 30, I was down to 159 while still growing muscle.

I am now back to 2400 calories a day. I am maintaining my weight and replacing that last bit of fat weight with muscle weight. I have upped my carbs as well, 40p:40c:20f. You make whatever you want out of it. You want excuses don't blame P90x. Don't tell yourself you can't, tell yourself that you currently struggle with... (great Tony line).

Sorry if this comes across as harsh, but it is just tiring to hear people make excuses. If your goal is to get ripped and look like the transformations you see on the TV... you have to BRING IT! 100% with your nutrition, and 100% with your workouts. And remember... abs are made in the kitchen. Athletes, celebrities, models all work hard... yea they have time to do it, but they put in the sweat and blood and stick with their nutrition plan. You have to make the time. I work out from 4-5:15 am everyday. I then go to school (I am a middle school teacher), and come home to the family. Bed at 9:30 and do it again. If it is a priority, you will make it work.

Reply or message me with any questions... I would love to help. BB products are really great. I am gearing up for the new insanity: the asylum. I am not a coach, not an employee of BB, just a guy that got tired of being soft and tired... I made a change and it is wonderful!