I am addicted to sloppy TEX MEX

Options
kelfeene
kelfeene Posts: 78 Member
Living in Houston, the biggest temptation I have is sloppy TEX MEX, with a few Texaritas (BIG MARGARITAS). You know the kind, sloppy enchiladas, beans/rice, a taco, nachos, tort chips, green salsa, guac.. the works! SO! I am trying to engage myself in healthier choices.....

When going to a MEX restaraunt.... any tips for HEALTHIER options?

Replies

• bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I guess opt for rice fajitas(minus the tortillas)
    Or if you can fit it into your daily macros, enjoy yourself.
    If I know I'm going out to eat, I adjust my diet for the day so I can have something I want.
  • crystal10584
    Options
    FAJITAS!!!!
  • helenamonks
    helenamonks Posts: 176
    Options
    I agree, when eating Texican (hehe) try regular fajitas, if you skip the wraps, it doesnt blow it most of the time, if you eat the wraps, still not too bad, just go work out to accomodate so that your waist won't! ;)
  • PrfctGdess
    PrfctGdess Posts: 257
    Options
    Guac isn't bad (just the chips you eat it with :P )
  • HipsterGirl
    Options
    This is exactly how I gained weight! I loved the Mexican restaurants in Texas!
  • kelfeene
    Options
    BMontgomery87 - Fajitas sound good, but I do not have enough macros to equal my intake, especially when you add a good rita!

Crystal - I dig fajitas... but usually put all the OTHER stuff on it...

Maybe, I should avoid this for a while... :).. thanks for the tips!
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Oh man I could eat Tex Mex every day, it's so awesome.

Cheese Enchiladas are my favorite! - This is why I try to keep as far away from them as I can!
  • hollym76
    hollym76 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I completely feel your pain! I also am addicted to TEX MEX! Living in Texas, there is a TEX MEX joint on every corner...yummy. I personally have to stay away because i don't have the self control to sit in front of chips and salsa and queso without eating my share...plus someone elses probably lol. But if you can do it, Fajitas without tortillas is a pretty safe choice :) Good luck!
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    mmmmmmmm love TexMex--It's one of the many things I miss living in Tx. My favorite is Chuys.....

So for healthier options, I get chicken fajitas, or chicken enchiladas with no cheese. Carne asada or carne pollo is also the least evil out of all the options. I stay away from the chips, guacamole, or anything smothered in cheese. Take away the cheese and reduce the sauce and you can reduce the fat and calories. Also, you can get the corn tortillas that are steamed instead of fried into chips or tacos.

Good luck and enjoy a big drink for me!!!
  • Limeinthecoconut
    Limeinthecoconut Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    A tip for when you make Mexican at home-

Non-fat yoghurt with a little salt mixed in is an amazing substitute for sour cream. And 200g of it is 100ish calories. It always hits the spot for me!
  • liswilla
    liswilla Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love Chuys!!! Thank goodness the closest one is 1.5 hrs from me. :) My advice is to just stay away from the Tex-Mex joints for a little while.
  • kelfeene
    Options
    nomomush - When you said the word CHUYs, I seriously drooled! :) Thanks for the tip

hollym76 - I seriously dig the green salsa at Casa Ole or Los Cucos... and I could eat chips and salsa with a RITA for years, after I lose 20 lbs, I am SOOO treating myself to this!

sigra - Cheesy anything is yummy! I think I am deleting the Mexican Restaraunt from my GPS!

Girlonadiet - I am a firm believer that THIS is why HOUSTON is one of the FATTEST cities in the world!
  • deanie0515
    deanie0515 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    mmmmmm Cheese enchiladas!!!! I struggle with that too!! Here in Austin...good Mexican food everywhere! Sometimes I just have to have them and try to make up for it with exercise.... oh and is it bad that a margarita sounds good at 10:30 AM!!!??? lol
  • austxdreamin
    Options
    mmmmmmmm love TexMex--It's one of the many things I miss living in Tx. My favorite is Chuys.....

Oh Chuy's how I miss you!!! I mean something that good can't possible be bad for you...right? I say do the best you can and if you know you are going out for that YUMMY food, adjust the calories for the day so you can enjoy that food! And, get a to-go box right when the food is brought to the table and toss half in a box so you don't see it!
  • hollym76
    Options
    If it is bad, then we are both bad haha! I could have a rita any time of day!
  • kelfeene
    Options
    It is 11, officially afternoon now! Chheeerrrssss! I will raise my water bottle to that!
  • hollym76
    Options
    CHEERS! Dang, you are making me want to go to lunch early haha!
  • kelfeene
    Options

• hollym76
    Options

You should dip them in salsa :)
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I'm in Texas, toooo, I love my TexMex food.
    For me, I'm trying to eat the tortilla soup (minus most of the tortillas) when we go out to eat at my fav place. I'm also trying to eat corn rather than flour tortillas when we get fajitas... and I don't put on the sourcream or the cheese..... I ask for double guac. :-)
    I also count out 10 or so huge tortilla chips when we get seated, and eat those with the salsa and only those......

The ritas, though.... seriously yummy.

~maddymama