Runners? Affordable HRM that tracks distance and pace ...

Options
lculian
lculian Posts: 313 Member
Is there such a thing as an affordable, reliable heart rate monitor that tracks distance and pace? I have a Polar FT7 HRM but I have really gotten into running and need a way to track my pace to help me train. Oh yeah and it needs to be easy to use and program, I'm not so good with technology:blushing:

Also where did you buy yours and are the batteries easy to change?

Thanks for all the help!

Have a great day MFP!!!!

Replies

• audreyyrose
    Options
    i would suggest just using a website to figure out your distance and pace. i personally use runkeeper.com and LOVE it. especially if you have a polar, you can upload the info from your HRM straight to the website if you want :]
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I doubt this exists but just in case I'm bumping.

FYI the best I've seen is the Garmin 305 - I think it's about $120 on Amazon right now. Not sure about simplicity of program- I've been waffling on buying it for about 2 months
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Do you have a smart phone, I have an Iphone App that does that.
  • runnermel
    runnermel Posts: 278
    Options
    Runkeeper is great!! I use the app for my Iphone and I love how it tracks the excercies and keeps it for me. plus, it is free!!
  • lculian
    Options
    Do you have a smart phone, I have an Iphone App that does that.

Nope no smart phone, although it might be time to upgrade:bigsmile: . Although what do you do with your phone while you're running?
  • katrine_05
    katrine_05 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 305. I got it for $180.00 at the Running Room (here in Canada). I absolutely love it. A little bulky on my wrist, but I don't mind it. I haven't even explored any of the trainer features on it yet.
  • shawn526
    shawn526 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I use my Garmin to track distance and pace. I opted for the one without the HRM, but now I wish I had gotten it so I would know exactly how many calories I'm burning. But it tracks the distance and pace fairly accurately, so I'm happy with that :)
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    Is there such a thing as an affordable, reliable heart rate monitor that tracks distance and pace? I have a Polar FT7 HRM but I have really gotten into running and need a way to track my pace to help me train. Oh yeah and it needs to be easy to use and program, I'm not so good with technology:blushing:

Also where did you buy yours and are the batteries easy to change?

Thanks for all the help!

Have a great day MFP!!!!

affordable is a relative term..... I had the FT-60 and it did all of that.... was on sale at best Buy for $180 ( I think it still is)....I took it back to the store though because I saw a pocketbook at the Coach Store I'd rather have than the HRM and couldn't justify both to DH
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I recommend one of the garmins also. It will do everything you want.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin 305 AND I LOVE IT!!!! Its perfect for running outdoors, and the GPS feature is of little use of you're on a treadmill. I'm not good with technology and I find it easy to use. You enter in a little bit of info into the watch, and load some software onto your computer, which just means you put the disc in the drive and follow the prompts. While you run you can choose from three different screens to look at by pressing the up and down arrows, depending on what info is most important to you (pace, calories burned, distance, HR, mph, lap pace). Each screen has at least 3 of those variables listed. When you get home, you use the included USB cord and plug it into your computer, and the software automatically opens up and gets the data from your watch. Then you get to see a map of where you ran, what your best pace was, your average pace, calories burned, etc, and a graph of just about any variable you choose (I look at HR and speed). Then, by clicking on the week you can see all of that arranged for the week, and compare to how you did last week....and on and on. I have found this so helpful and encouraging. I cannot stress how easy this is to use. I was intimidated before I bought it, but its definitely easier to use than, say, excel.
  • gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    Options
    New Balance At Academy Sports
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmon forerunner as well, however, I think I'm going to upgrad to something a little less bulky. The device itself works great, though.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I caved and bought the Garmin 405cx. I absolutely LOVE it. It was expensive, I'll admit that, but to be able to track pace, distance, vertical profile was worth it to me. I'm also a backpacker/hiker though, so it def helps when we go backcountry and can't map routes online.

I'm considering adding the foot pod for indoor/treadmill use. You can turn the GPS off for indoor use, and the pod simulates the signal so you can get accurate distance measurements (like when my trainer makes me run stairs for 30 minutes - I'd like to know how far that is!) :D
  • lculian
    Options
    Thank you for all of the insight! It sounds like Garmin makes a great product. Any good ideas on discount places that sell Garmin?
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    My Costco use to carry the Garmin 405cx. I haven't seen it recently, but yours may have it? Also, if you are a member at REI, they are doing their 20% off one item sale right now. That would help a lot! :)
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I also use the Garmin FR305 and have been for over a year. I use it for running and biking, and if you get the optional Footpod, you can use it on the treadmill also.

You can see my runs & bike rides on the Garmin Connect website:

http://connect.garmin.com/explore?owner=rvachon1971
  • mazomama
    mazomama Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I use my smartphone ( droid x) with an app called cardio trainer. Ive used it for walks & runs. It talks to ya here and there letting you know your pace, distance, calories and time. I usually just shove it in my sports bra for now ....lol, its got a bigger screen so havent been able to find an arm band yet.

With all that said i still want a HRM too!

Not sure if i really need it since i do think the app is great ( ive compared cals to what my body bugg says and there pretty close) i think im just a junkie of gadgets ..lol
  • ohohraptor
    ohohraptor Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    i would suggest just using a website to figure out your distance and pace. i personally use runkeeper.com and LOVE it. especially if you have a polar, you can upload the info from your HRM straight to the website if you want :]

I used runkeeper on my iphone and it was off by like .8 of a mile. :/
  • Zuznana
    Zuznana Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Cardio trainer is good. I've been using it for ages. And you can set your music to it. But I've just started using RunKeeper and it's brilliant. You can set intervals too and it does the pace for you. But both of those apps are overestimating calories by a lot. Still, if you just want a pace, go with runKeeper, it's free from android market (unless you want to pay a fee each month, but the basic one is free. )
  • Helly86
    Helly86 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Oooo interesting post!!
    I love runkeeper and use it for all of my runs, but was wondering about buying a hrm. I was hoping to combine it with something like a garmin but was hoping there's a cheaper alternative out there!! Is there u reckon or best to save for a garmin? X x