Options
xxtc79xx
xxtc79xx Posts: 15
I've never cooked or even ate it before. Any suggestions on recipes? Thanks

Replies

• sixpacking
    sixpacking Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    if you seen Forrest Gump and heard of Buba's Shrimps., well Tofu its the same, you can do whatever you please with tofu. Its a great protein., the firmer the more protein, but more fat, so balance it out of how firm you want it.
  • lindainak
    lindainak Posts: 101
    Options
    My dietition has me reading the Whole Soy Story. She disapproves of anything soy......Sheeesh
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Tofu and other soy-based products are linked to thyroid problems, so just don't go crazy with too much soy. Almost all soy in this country is GMO too, so it's not the health food they market it to be. Just fyi.
  • Imthatg1rl
    Imthatg1rl Posts: 109
    Options
    Oh tofu is great, BUT I have never cooked with it.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried this yet, but it's on the menu for this week:

Curried Tofu w/Rice

4 Servings

Prep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.

Ingredients
    1 package (12.3 ounces) extra-firm tofu, drained and cubed
    1 teaspoon seasoned salt
    1 tablespoon canola oil
    1 small onion, chopped
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 cup light coconut milk
    1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
    1 teaspoon curry powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    2 cups cooked brown rice

Directions
    Sprinkle tofu with seasoned salt. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute tofu in oil until lightly browned. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute onion and garlic for 1-2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in the coconut milk, cilantro, curry, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 4-5 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened. Stir in tofu; heat through. Serve with rice.

Nutrition Facts: 1/2 cup tofu mixture with 1/2 cup rice equals 240 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 540 mg sodium.
  • daddyzgurl
    Options
    For your first go at making tofu I suggest tossing the extra firm version into a stir-fry with a bunch of veggies. Add a sauce like low sodium soy, rice wine viniger or teriyaki and put it over brown rice. Quick, easy and healthy.
    Nicole
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I agree with her! I don't touch the stuff.
  • xxtc79xx
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I only buy the extra stiff stuff...and cook it like you would chicken...it absorbes the flavours you cook it with...so when I make a stir fry i sautee the tofu in with onions, garlic, mushrooms and then add the sauce in after it's all sauteed. then add your veggies, the rest of the sauce and noodles or rice.
  • mwhartley
    mwhartley Posts: 35
    Options
    I like Tofu but never cooked with it myself. I am worried about all the research I have been doing about soy, and all the negative stuff I have read, so I make sure I watch how much I eat and keep it to a minimum.
  • jmccarton
    jmccarton Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been working with tofu for quite some time now and there are mixed reviews on whether or not soy / tofu is healthy for you. All I can say from my own personal experience and research is that it is beneficial.

My favorite (and quick) recipe reminds me of eating a fresh mozzarella salad.

Extra firm tofu (cut up into bite-sized chunks)
    2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
    Salt & pepper to taste
    1/4 cup chopped scallions
    diced fresh tomatoes (optional)

Toss all ingredients in a bowl, refrigerate for 30 minutes.

I also make meat crumbles with them and use them for things like chili.

tofu meat crumbles
    1 block extra firm tofu
    1 vegetarian beef bouillon
    salt & pepper to taste
    cooking spray
    1 medium onion chopped fine
    1 green bell pepper chopped fine
    3 cloves garlic minced

Drain tofu, freeze overnight and allow to defrost. Drain again. With a fork, or your hands, crumble the tofu in a bowl. Saute' onion and pepper on med-high heat for 3 minutes. add garlic and saute for a minute more. Add crumbles and remaining ingredients. Saute and stir for an additional 5 minutes.

You can add that to anything you would normal use ground beef for. If you wanted to create a tofu burger with it, add egg to help bind it.
  • xxtc79xx
    Options
    I made butterbean burgers tonight and put tofu iin it. Must say it was delish.:happy:
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options

You can add that to anything you would normal use ground beef for. If you wanted to create a tofu burger with it, add egg to help bind it.

oh good idea making it into burgers!
  • Jouquetta
    Jouquetta Posts: 20
    Options
    I cook with it quite a bit. I too only use the extra firm lite stuff. I love the curry recipe, it's close to what I make except I use curry in a bucket. I also really like to marinate it -- same as other meats (chicken, beef, or fish marinade)-- sometimes a few hrs or overnight then bake it in about 1/2 inch slices in the over @ 375. Play with it to find the texture & moisture level you want.

FYI - I got preoccupied last week with laundry and 'overcooked' the tofu so they were more like toast (but not burnt). I just crumbled it over salad and it was a knock-off crouton.

Best of luck!
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    i don't like the texture when it's cool and uncooked. I cut firm tofu into bite sized cubes and saute in a little oil with garlic and ginger until golden and crispy. Then I serve it with stir fry veggies and soba noodles, with either a curry sauce, hoisin sauce, or some other strong flavored asian sauce. Very low calories and you get a good range of nutrients.

I think soy, like any other "wonder food," has probably been over rated. It's not the cure for everything, but it's not bad for you and can be good for you in reasonable amounts. The tofu at my local grocery store says on the package that it's not GMO, so some non-GMO soy is still available in the USA. Asian markets might also be a good place to find a range of tofus, including imported ones.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I think soy, like any other "wonder food," has probably been over rated. It's not the cure for everything, but it's not bad for you and can be good for you in reasonable amounts. The tofu at my local grocery store says on the package that it's not GMO, so some non-GMO soy is still available in the USA. Asian markets might also be a good place to find a range of tofus, including imported ones.
    [/quote]
    Agreed :)
  • fridaythe13th
    Options
    A lot of the brands of tofu you get in regular supermarkets are organic (non-GMO), just look at the label.

I get a lot of soy in my diet, as well as other plant-based proteins and have never had a problem. I know there are literature out there maligning soy but I have also read a lot more that praises soy as a healthy high protein alternative.

Tofu pretty much takes on whatever flavor it is cooked with and you can do sooo much with it. Check out vegweb.com for a bunch of vegetarian/vegan recipes.

Good luck!
  • Cindylulu34
    Cindylulu34 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey there everyone! I love tofu, but was also "scared" to eat it at first too. Plus my husband kept worrying about my kids eating it too often. I am attaching a link to an article that helped us a lot! This along with other research has eased our minds, and we now enjoy tofu once or twice a week. :) Also, for anyone who needs a tv personality to tell them it's ok, Dr. Oz said the same thing as this article on his show a few months ago. (I don't need his endorsement, but someone else might.)

As far as how to prepare it, you have been given many great suggestions! I'm going to try a few that were posted here. I personally drain the liquid in the package, and then slice the block of tofu into about 6 to 8 slices. I place these slices in between several layers of dish towels, put a plate on top of the towels, lay a heavy book on it, and leave it to absorb for about 20 minutes. This gets all the moisture out and then you can marinate in anything. I cook it in a skillet or roast in the oven. Delicious! I also make tofu ricotta sometimes and eat it uncooked on toast (and put it in lasagna). I took some time to like that, but now I do, I really really do... and so do my kids and hubby! Here's the link to a positive tofu article.

http://shine.yahoo.com/event/staywellforfall/the-truth-about-soy-foods-2396850/
  • Cindylulu34
    Cindylulu34 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Also, forgot to say that someone on here posted a yummy sounding recipe for tofu burgers recently. I am cooking those tonight for my family. I'll be posting about them tonight or tomorrow... if we like them or not. They sound really good!