Failure to Launch

Options
I joined here last night. I just got around to posting today. Why, I don't know, maybe I was afraid of another failed attempt. Each time I try and fail, my self esteem goes farther and farther down the drain, and I'm worried it won't take much to knock me off the ladder again. I want to be healthy. I want to feel good in my skin and about my body. I want to live without worrying about how my bad health is damaging the rest of my life. :/

So, I'm here. My name is Dana, I'm 26 and I've been overweight since I was 8 years old. Today, at 190 lbs & 5'4", I have a 32.6 BMI score. Obese. I never wanted to say that word before, but I'm tired of being afraid of it, so there it is. I want to get back to "overweight" first, then move gradually down from there. I want my clothes to fit better and I want to be able to run, bike or swim without getting so winded I have to stop within a minute.

Well, that was a relief. Finally it's out there. Now I can do something about it.

Who's with me? :]

Replies

• KitKB
    KitKB Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Welcome! The best thing I've learned is if I had a bad day, that doesn't mean the diet is a complete failure and I should just give up. Even if I had a bad week of gorging and gained a couple of pounds... don't give up! Everyone has bad days. And food is so ingrained in our culture (weddings, funerals, family get together's, parties, movie night. What do these all have in common? Food.) It makes it hard to avoid it, you know? So you may have bad days or bad weeks. Just brush yourself off and keep going.

Add me as a friend if you'd like! I'll try to help motivate you.
  • snobuny032
    Options
    THIS IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE QUOTES:
    Funny thing about progress. If you beat yourself up for not making progress, you end up not making progress.
    Positive thought bring positive results!
    Welcome to MFP.. You can do this!
  • TiDinzeo
    TiDinzeo Posts: 309
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. The first step is always the hardest, and the most important. Now it's just a case of keeping the momentum going.

I rate as obese as well. And at 300lbs starting weight, I know I've got a long way to go until I get back to healthy. Keep on trying and remember to take it one day at a time. If you miss your target one day, there's always the next one.
  • ThatDollSally
    ThatDollSally Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on starting up again! It sounds like you're in a place where you not only want to make a change, but you're READY to make a change! The best advice I can give you is to remember that one bad day of drowning your sorrows in ice cream does NOT negate all the good you've done. All of us have missteps and the real victory is being able to acknowledge our mistakes and get back to making good choices starting with the next one. Also, try not to dwell on any mistakes you make. At the end of the day all that will accomplish is that you still made it and now you feel bad. Easier said than done, I know, but I'm sure you can do it!

Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like some extra support. It helps to have people rooting you on!
  • ohcaptain
    ohcaptain Posts: 25
    Options
    Thanks you guys for all the well wishes. I think that what I really lacked in all of my other attempts was support. A lot of my friends/family are either overweight themselves and don't want to change, or they just brush my enthusiasm off as another waste of time. Maybe MFP will be the godsend I've been looking for.

Anyone who likes can feel free to send me a friend request. I'm friendly. :D
  • trinitystrix
    Options
    I think the trick is that tomorrow is another day. That's what i keep trying to tell myself. I failed today, I didn't work out, or I ate the damn chocolate cake (my biggest weakness) but tomorrow tomorrow I will start fresh and try again.
  • ohcaptain
    ohcaptain Posts: 25
    Options
    Yeah, I'm trying to figure out a mantra to that effect. "Try, try again" is so very schoolmarm. "If at first you don't succeed" reminds me of the soccer coach who told me to get my fat carcass off his field. And I know my mom's favorite saying won't work: "Have another piece of pie." LOL Work in progress.
  • shakemybooty
    shakemybooty Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Find an activity that you enjoy doing and see if you can meet friends on here that enjoy that same activity. That's what is keeping me moving. We're suffering through the same workouts!

You got this girl!
  • JBeaner
    JBeaner Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Don't think that messing up one day is a failure, or that it has ruined any progress that you have made. Mistakes are just that, mistakes. Lean from them. Take stock of your day, and make yourself see the successes and not just what you consider a failure. Failure is very subjective, and each and every one of us has a different idea about what they are when it comes to our personal journey to living a healthier life style. We didn't get to where we are over night, so we can't go back any quicker.

Just find support when you need it, don't be too hard on yourself, and make sure you let yourself be human and remember that small slip ups one day, does NOT ruin everything.

Smiles,
    JBeaner:flowerforyou: