Dairy Dilema

Options
JustGila
JustGila Posts: 23 Member
I have a compulsive need to eat dairy-all the time. I know this is contributing to my current weight and I am hoping for some suggestions to either curve this part of my appetite or find really good, low calorie dairy replacements.

Some people have suggested using cauliflower or squash as starch substitutes-are there comparable cheese substitutes out there?

Also-someone once told me that the reason I crave so much dairy is because my body needs the calcium. They also told me that my birth control could be depleting my body of calcium. This person is not a nutritionist and I'm not sure I buy this theory but I'm wondering if anyone else heard this or can speak to it.

-Gail

Replies

• autumn13
    autumn13 Posts: 295
    Options
    Try laughing cow cheese!
  • bethikabob
    bethikabob Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    What about cottage cheese--I get the fat free one because it has a little more protein per serving and it's 80 calories for half a cup.
  • sweetnshy
    sweetnshy Posts: 97
    Options
    I don't care what anyone says, I'm still gonna eat my cottage cheese, string cheese and ice cream! sure the portions may be smaller and I don't eat them quite as often, but I'm still gonna eat them and you can't make me stop :)
  • asallen7
    asallen7 Posts: 301
    Options
    Laughing cow cheese, almond milk, coconut milk, Skinny Cow ice crem, liquid eggs.
  • zoombie_bear
    zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    In my book, a healthy diet plan,includes 4 portions of dairy:
    yogourt 0% 3/4cup / serving(there are so many kinds out there) & milk low fat 1-2% 1cup/serving

Cheese is actualy a proteine in my book. And proteine are at meal time, morning would be 2oz, noon and supper would be 4-5oz/ serving
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    What about cottage cheese--I get the fat free one because it has a little more protein per serving and it's 80 calories for half a cup.

Most cottage cheese has a ton of sodium which leeches calcium from your bones so not sure that's the best choice, though it does have good protein. Greek yogurt has less sodium and is comparable in calories and protein.
  • daddyratty
    daddyratty Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Try laughing cow cheese!

I totally misread this at first. I thought you were telling her "try laughing" and calling her "cow cheese" as if you'd forgotten a comma in the middle of the sentence.
  • cokpara
    cokpara Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    cutting out dairy is super hard, but just try to choose the lesser of the evils when you have it. remember there are healthier versions of EVERYTHING out there and you don't have to sacrifice the taste either, just be more conscious of nutritional facts... the more natural, the better and the less fat, sodium, added sugars/preservatives etc, the better. someone mentioned laughing cow cheese, that'd be a great idea and they come in wedges of 35cals that are already portioned for you... try skim or 1% milk, some others said cottage cheese but the lowfat/1% kind... i'm obsessed with cottage cheese doubles which are BOMB and it's just enough weight/sweetness to keep you content with your dairy intake... all kinds of cheeses that are healthy out there. just pick wisely and know there's ALWAYS a healthier version of whatever you love. hope this helped some!
  • JustGila
    JustGila Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wow-thanks so much guys.

Laughing cow cheese, cottage cheese, skim milk-Got it. :)