Push ups with palm pain?

Options
I am doing the 30 Day Shred, and the push ups are really hurting my right palm (bottom of hand near wrist). I had bilateral carpal tunnel release 6 years ago, and for some reason that hand didn't heal as good and is still a bit tender. Anyways, last night the push ups were really killing that hand. Would push up handles help with this? Is there a way to modify a push up some other way to take pressure off that part of the hand? (Is this a totally insane question?) Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

Replies

• Clipickett
    Clipickett Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I get the same pain from time to time (I type alot for work) so when this happens, i modify the pushup by doing them on my knuckles and keeping my wrists straigt and firmly fixed in place. This is good for two reasons, it aleviates the pain AND a pushup this way is more difficult than palms down. No need to get pushup handles yet, although later on you might want to so that you increase range of motion which is always good. But just jumping up to your knuckles will do that for you now!
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Holding onto dumbbells will help take the pressure off this area. If this doesn't help, then you might have to modify, either prone on the floor or on the ball.
  • goddessofmath
    goddessofmath Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I get the same pain from time to time (I type alot for work) so when this happens, i modify the pushup by doing them on my knuckles and keeping my wrists straigt and firmly fixed in place. This is good for two reasons, it aleviates the pain AND a pushup this way is more difficult than palms down. No need to get pushup handles yet, although later on you might want to so that you increase range of motion which is always good. But just jumping up to your knuckles will do that for you now!

Awesome! Thanks. I think Jillian Michaels telling me to not wuss out during push ups took away my brain power to figure that fix out. hehe. :D I'll try that tonight.
  • breakingthecycle
    breakingthecycle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I am also doing 30DS (L2 D6) have the same pain and I do crunches instead of the Plank exercises or if I feel ok, modified push ups.
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    I get the same pains, and yes push-up bars or even dumbells (if they aren't the completely round ones of course) will help. Doing them on my knuckles is uncomfortable for me. Push-up bars will also give you a bigger range of motion and allow you to go deeper. :flowerforyou:
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    You can take some pressure off by putting you knees on the floor and doing your push-ups.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    You could also try using the small medicine balls (the soft ones, not the hard ones) might add a little extra to the push up too. They make gloves for yoga that have almost like a wedge in the palm so that you are not having to force your hands flat on the floor to help with that pain as well. Just a couple of other ideas, of course the dumbells are the easiest to get a hold of and they work
  • pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I get the same pains, and yes push-up bars or even dumbells (if they aren't the completely round ones of course) will help. Doing them on my knuckles is uncomfortable for me. Push-up bars will also give you a bigger range of motion and allow you to go deeper. :flowerforyou:

+1, pushup bars supinate the wrists and will take pressure of the joint.
  • goddessofmath
    goddessofmath Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice! I'll try some of them tonight. :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I have a bad left wrist that I can't bend back. I do my push ups on my fists.