I'm new. Any other P90Xers out there? I'm doing "doubles"

Options
Hi, I am new here, but not new to weight loss attempts. It seems perhaps I have been under-eating???? I work out hard. I always have. My main downfall has been sweets (w/coffee) and wine or beer with dinner. I have been calorie counting and not losing any weight. Though I have gained an appreciable amount of muscle doing P90X. I have almost 30 pounds to lose, but at this point would be very happy with 15 pound weight-loss.

Can any of you relate?

Replies

• A_shelton316
    A_shelton316 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm Doing P90X lean. It took awhile for some of the weight to fall off but it did. Are your workout calories?
  • MCDerin
    MCDerin Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    Welcome to MFP. P90X is intense. It is a VERY good possibility that you are undereating if you do that workout with a lot of intensity.
    Once you start logging your food and all your workouts, you can get a better determination if your deficit is too large.

I learned that I burn a lot MORE than I thought I did once I started wearing my BodyBugg and hence I eat more now (yipee :). SO, it does pay to learn and understand your own body's natural burn.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
    This community is amazing!
  • A_shelton316
    A_shelton316 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm Doing P90X lean. It took awhile for some of the weight to fall off but it did. Are your workout calories?

Sorry are you eating your workout calories?
  • DawnHeffernan
    Options
    What is P90X ?
  • heabear
    heabear Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just started P90X and like said above make sure you are eating your workout calories and wearing a calorie counter helps!!
  • leanmean20
    Options
    I'm a fellow p90x-er!!! I've recently joined this site and haven't really noticed any weight loss either. I use my wii fit to measure BMI and weight and some days it goes down, other days it goes back up. Frustrating, especially when using this website I'm always under my calorie intake for the amount of work I'm doing (I have a HR monitor that tracks calories too)

I have to remember to try and base my goals on how my clothes fit, how I feel, etc. not necessarily weight loss. As you said, you are gaining muscle so it's hard to lose weight if you're building muscle.

I own a dance studio so I'm doing that in the evenings & trying to keep up with my p90x during the day prior to dance so you'd think weight loss would be a given.....haha not so much ;)

Have you tried Shakeology? I've been drinking that for my dinner meal at dance for about 2 weeks now. I do think it's helping!!
    Are you already a member at Beachbody.com? I'm a coach there and could add you if you wanted! beachbodycoach dot com / LEANMEAN20
  • christadoud
    christadoud Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hello, we sound a lot alike! I have always liked to work out, but once I hit 40 and the metabolism slowed down, I started gaining- I just can't eat the way I used to.... it's hard to accept because I a "foodie"- love baking and eating junk!! Sadly I can not lose weight by exercise alone and have to watch what I eat. That is why I really like MFP!

I have been doing P90x for a year now- I never used the food plan. I have alternated it with running, which is the main exercise I like to do. It is a very challenging program - I still can not do a pull up but I use the bands. I also can not do some of the push ups (for example the hand clapping one). ... in fact I think very few women can actually do some of these types of push ups, but if I modify some of the moves I find P90x to be a good program.

I never did doubles! Good luck with that and keep us updatedon your progress. Are you doing the p90x food plan also?
  • grasp
    grasp Posts: 31
    Options
    P90 X is a 90 day workout DVD set. It covers Diet and exercise in a very intense manner.
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Coming up to the end of Phase 1 (Classic)
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    *double post
  • ButterflyKristen
    ButterflyKristen Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I spin or swim 3 or 4 days a week in addition to the p90x. I'm not doing the lean b/c I wanted to gain muscle to help me burn more calories at rest. I use a heart rate monitor. According to that I burn 500 cals each time I swim or bike and 350 to 385 for strength train/ ab ripper days, plus 250 for yogax and 350 for kenpo. I've been eating around 1500 calornies a day w/o regard to how much I burn.
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I'm on the fourth week of the classic version. At first I was just doing the P90X, but I had also ordered Insanity. When the Insanity DVD's finally got here I added in one of the cardio workouts to my P90X. I also started eating back my exercise calories and I've been dropping weight since then. Not much weight, but I only have about 7 lbs left to lose so it has become quite difficult to get my body to want to shed those last pounds.

I know, for myself, that I need ALOT of cardio to see results. So I bought a heart rate monitor and I make sure I burn at least 400 calories/day. I also eat that back, but I've been losing so it weems to be working for me :) Add me as a friend if you would like and we can help/support each other through this :)
  • Megn_11
    Megn_11 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm a P90Xer! I was doing P90X without counting my calories and was not see the results I wanted. But now that I stick to 1200/day (without eating my workout calories) I'm shedding 2.5-3 lbs/week. I had a major sweet tooth too, but I have an orange for a snack instead of cookies or brownies. Do you drink your coffee black? That makes a HUGE difference too!! I cut almost 300 calories/day by drinking it black. (I drink a lot of coffee). Just stick with it. You'll get there. And like someone else said, sometimes it takes a few weeks before you start seeing the result. Just continue you to "Bring it!"
  • Megn_11
    Megn_11 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm a P90Xer! I was doing P90X without counting my calories and was not see the results I wanted. But now that I stick to 1200/day (without eating my workout calories) I'm shedding 2.5-3 lbs/week. I had a major sweet tooth too, but I have an orange for a snack instead of cookies or brownies. Do you drink your coffee black? That makes a HUGE difference too!! I cut almost 300 calories/day by drinking it black. (I drink a lot of coffee). Just stick with it. You'll get there. And like someone else said, sometimes it takes a few weeks before you start seeing the result. Just continue you to "Bring it!"
  • ednalaura
    Options
    I have had P90X for a few months now but I haven't try it becuse it seems too difficult.I wonder if it's :ohwell: worth it. Does it really work???
  • ButterflyKristen
    ButterflyKristen Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Wow, I am psyched that so many people replied so quickly! What a great community! Here's my question: Do I have to quit wine completely because of my intense workouts, due to the fact that wine is nothing but empty calories?

I do not follow the P90X eating plan b/c I thougth it sounded like WAY TOO MUCH FOOD!
  • leanmean20
    Options
    I don't think you need to give up your wine :) As long as your total calories each day are less than what you've burned, you should be fine. It's okay to indulge once in awhile - it helps prevent you from binging later!! at least, that's my opinion :)
  • jackies620
    jackies620 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hey there!
    I'm also pretty new to this site & also recently started the p90x, and I have a weight loss goal of 20-30 lbs. I just started the lean program last Friday. I feel the same way too, in that I can't lose the weight! I'm not the greatest at counting my calories, but I do know that I'm at 1200 or less each day. I don't follow the p90x nutrition guide, mainly because its a lot of seafood, and I don't eat seafood...so it's a bit tougher for me! Hopefully, like others said, I will start seeing results after a couple of weeks!! I'm sticking 100% to the program, and am eating much healthier--I kicked my pop habit, and instead am drinking a good 25-30oz of water each day. I also cut out a lot of pastas, where I'm only allowing 1 pasta meal each week, so hopefully all of that will start adding up as well!
    Good luck!!
    Feel free to "friend" me if you'd like some support with the whole p90x thing!!
  • heabear
    Options
    I spin or swim 3 or 4 days a week in addition to the p90x. I'm not doing the lean b/c I wanted to gain muscle to help me burn more calories at rest. I use a heart rate monitor. According to that I burn 500 cals each time I swim or bike and 350 to 385 for strength train/ ab ripper days, plus 250 for yogax and 350 for kenpo. I've been eating around 1500 calornies a day w/o regard to how much I burn.
    If you dont eat your exercise calories you end up under 1200 calories a day your body goes into starvation mode and you wont drop a pound cause it saves everything you eat cause you are starving your body! You need to eat your workout calories!!! Plus changing the amount of calories you eat everyday also keeps you from leveling out!
  • heabear
    Options
    The wine is up to you but maybe cut back as a treat instead of a regular thing! P90X eating plan is actually not to much food its actually alot of nutrient dense food so that its more filling with less calories!