HRM suggestions!

Options
Hello. I've been wanting an HRM for some time but am too cheap to get one. I actually had one a couple months ago but I had to pick what kind of exercise i was doing. That didn't sound like it would've been anymore accurate than logging it under the mfp exercises. Don't hrm's go buy your heart rate to figure out the calories burned?? If this is the case i shouldn't have to select jogging, walking. ect.... right??

Anyway, I just finished my first week of turbofire ( loooooove it) and i would love to get an accurate burn count. Does anyone have any suggestions for HRM's that are reasonable? Where can I shop for them?? Am I even right when I think an hrm should be simple and just track her calories burnt by hitting a start button???

I would love any feedback you have.....Thank you!
Kara :)

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    The first one I got was a bowflex fit because it was only like $50 but it was a huge mistake and within a month I bought the Polar FT4 and love it! Yes they measure your heart rate and determine the calories burned. I got the Polar on ebay for like $75. Good deal! Retail is like $85+.
  • CarlitaK
    CarlitaK Posts: 139
    Options
    I bought the polar as well.. i really like it. it is really easy to use and i think it works great!
  • RRS1983
    RRS1983 Posts: 18
    Options
    I have used Polar HRM since the early 2000's and have loved them! They're comfortable and track everything I want them to track. The one I have, not sure of the model -- but it is an older one -- tracks HR/Calories/Total time in my target HR zone/tells me what my THR should be and how long I've been working out for....just remember to hit start! :-)

I've always gotten mine at Big 5. I couldn't find them anywhere else (in the small town I was living).

Good luck!!!
  • krystalstraw
    Options
    i'm actually using the fitbit and i LOVE it!! it's not a HRM, but a device that you wear all day and night and it calculates the calories you burn all day long and while you sleep! it's only $100. i also just started TurboFire and am LOVING it! can't wait to see the results. I got the full 15 disc set with the 4 advanced DVD's and am doing the full 20 weeks!
  • trhonda2011
    Options
    The Polars are good brands, I'm slightly frugal too when it comes to HRM's, but I'm a gadget freak so its a little testy for me LOL. I just bought the Omron brand with chest piece off of Amazon for under $30, I wore it to workout, my only thing is it just tells me what my HR is not how many calories I've burned. I'm in constant search of my GoWearFit system I bought a few years back, similar to the BodyBugg they use on The Biggest Loser. I can't find it for anything and I loved that one the best.
  • taldie01
    taldie01 Posts: 378
    Options
    Polar FT7. love it
  • sgm3
    sgm3 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 also and love it! I bought it on impulse when I was at Target and realized I had a sizable gift card I had been holding onto. Although I love the FT4, I wish I would have did a little further research and ordered the FT7 online using my gift card. I say this only because it's supposed to show you how much fat you are burning along with calorie burn, and also because I wasn't paying out of pocket for the entire expense. If I didn't have the gift card, I would have purchased one from eBay or Amazon.
    There is a difference between the MFP estimates and the HRM calculations. It's exciting to see how many calories you burn and how many more calories you burn after you've gotten your heart rate up. It's a huge motivator for me!
    Good luck with your purchase!
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I just got the POLAR FT4 it seems fairly simple to understand. I got it on sale for $75 at Big 5 sporting goods store. But, I know you can get them on amazon, ebay etc.

I needed a little help setting it up (my hubby is a tchno geek so it was easy for him) but I think if you just do what the manual says then you'll be fine. Also, the folks at the sporting good store should be able to help with set up too ;)

I looked at the POLAR FT7 model, it is the same as the FT4 but has a usb stick so you can plug the info from the tracker into your computer and see it all. (for the extra money - not important to me, but maybe for others.)

I also looked at the Garmin and Oregon Scientific brands, they do more with speed, distance, map plotting, etc. I decided that for me all I wanted was calories burned and even though all that other stuff was fun, I didn't want to mess with it. But, if you are a cyclist and want to log your routes then these are great.

In general I think you get what you pay for, so get the best you can for your money. It all comes down to putting in as much of your specific information to get themost accurate calculations. So the more info it asks about YOU the better.

Good luck!
  • Clipickett
    Clipickett Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I found a used (only used once) POLAR on Craigslist for $30 bucks! About a third of the cost of buying a new one and I really enjoy mine!
  • niclagi
    niclagi Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT6. And it came in Pink!!
  • Karasene
    Karasene Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone....looks like i'll be going to my local sporting good store and checking out all the polar hrm's! I really appreciate everyones feedback!!!