Need calorie burn advice/help

Options
Can someone check out this site for me and let me know what you think about it - If I go by the website I burn way more calories based on my weight vs. just what is on this website - what are your thoughts? - Thanks in advance

http://walking.about.com/library/cal/uccalc1.htm

Replies

• Photoplex
    Photoplex Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I would rather err on the side of conservatism.

Over estimate calories that go into your mouth
    Under estimate calories you sweat out of your pores.

If you do anything other than that, the only person you're cheating is *you*.
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    i would go by this site...as far as i can tell it also bases calories burned by your weight!! i guess the best way would be with a HRM though :)
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    The site really OVER estimates my calorie burn....After about 3 weeks of using MFP, I realized I just needed a HRM. Its not perfect, but it gives a more accurate estimate based off of your height, weight, sex, and heart rate. I got a polar ft7 back in March and have used it almost everyday since. I love it and it is WELL worth the investment!!
  • ksgran
    ksgran Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hmm...read through all the comments, and since I'm only on my second day, had some of the same questions. The biggest one is whether to rely on the MFP calories burned as accurate or on the much lower calories burned totals on the machines at the gym. Can't afford an HRM yet, but will probably compromise for now by not using the calories burned through exercise to eat more. Thanks for all the interesting input on the topic.