Wierd taste in food....

Options
So I really wish I liked fish, because there are so many different kinds of fish, and so many different ways to make it! It would definitely add some variety to my chicken... Oh I like tuna, but that's it, and only if it's like tuna salad... I think there's something wrong with me, I like tuna, a fishy fish, but I hate other types of fish because I hate the taste of fish! Does anybody have any recipes for fish that aren't fishy? I'm willing to try something new because I'm tired of eating the same old thing all of the time!

Replies

• ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Have you tried tilapia? I don't think it's too super fishy. I like to pan fry it using just a little bit of olive oil, and season with lemon pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Sometimes I will add a little butter to the pan if I haven't gone overboard that day.
  • cbratthauer
    cbratthauer Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Have you tried tilapia? I don't think it's too super fishy. I like to pan fry it using just a little bit of olive oil, and season with lemon pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Sometimes I will add a little butter to the pan if I haven't gone overboard that day.

I have tried Tilapia about 5 years ago when I was working at Apple Bees, it could have been the way it was prepared too... But I wasn't crazy about it. I'm such a picky eater so I hate dieting so much!
  • jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Try broiled Salmon, just sprinkle on some seasoning and cook skin side down until the top browns.
    Add a side of veggies, and you have a great dinner.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    eww canned tuna is like the grossest fish! no wonder people smother it in mayo...tilapia is pretty fishy imo.. cod and sole are pretty mild.. I like salmon the best-but i like it smoked or raw.. I LOVE sardines, which are kinda fishy but so awesome, brisling sardines are less fishy than tuna though and much tastier-but they are more expensive than normal sardines
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    try basa fillets. Super mild (not the least bit fishy tasting...a nice white fish)
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    have you tried Basa fish?

maybe google some healthy marinades or toppings you can add to fish. sometimes just a few drops of lemon juice helps.
  • crystal10584
    Options
    Mahi Mahi is a very meaty fish. If it didn't flake apart in my mouth, i would have thought it was chicken. :)
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Ps - nothing beats bbq'd salmon as well - in my opinion. BBQ it up, put a little miracle whip/mayo on top, lemon juice and onion.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    SHRIMP!
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I make boneless skinless sole and halibut fillets and put some shake and bake on them. yummy!
  • MissKMN
    MissKMN Posts: 119
    Options
    I am with you! I am not a huge fish person, but I have been trying. I actually have been steaming my fish in Orka steamers (from amazon.com) lately and they come out not bad. You can add anything you want and it's ready in 3 minutes. I have actually had good luck lately by drizzling evoo and using a TON of Mrs. Dash seasoning (citrus lime is great for fish like tilapia), and have been actually working to make my salmon come out sweet. Adding a honey glaze works great and it makes it so much less fishy and if you're using natural honey it's a superfood powerpacked meal!
  • BriannaSkye
    BriannaSkye Posts: 135
    Options
    I love salmon fillets, grilled or pan cooked with lemon and a red chilli flake seasoning ontop, I dont find it fishy and adding the chilli flake makes it even better
  • kattyisfat
    Options
    Instead of using Tuna use canned salmon (make sure it is bone free) It gives you great protein while having a lighter taste. Make it the same way you make tuna salad. Also, Frozen catfish filets are really easy to use and good with butter and dill or you can lightly flour them with seasoning in a pan. Good stuff!
  • mvonk1016
    mvonk1016 Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm not huge fish person either, but I have leart even with the less fishy fish, they can still be very fishy. This is due to how fresh the fish is. The fishier a "non fishy" fish is, the older it is. So I would suggest, if you have a way to buy fresh Cod, Halibut, or Talipia start there.

Here is a site that might help you out too. http://www.cookingfishmonger.com/fish-taste-chart.html
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I second the tilapia suggestion. It's not fishy at all, it doesn't even smell fishy when you cook it.
  • pearlsgirl96
    Options
    So I really wish I liked fish, because there are so many different kinds of fish, and so many different ways to make it! It would definitely add some variety to my chicken... Oh I like tuna, but that's it, and only if it's like tuna salad... I think there's something wrong with me, I like tuna, a fishy fish, but I hate other types of fish because I hate the taste of fish! Does anybody have any recipes for fish that aren't fishy? I'm willing to try something new because I'm tired of eating the same old thing all of the time!

Honestly if you enjoy tuna try buying a fresh tuna steak. You can grill it, pan sear it with some olive oil or bake/broil it. Put seasoning of your choice on it with lemon juice. You can eat it plain with veggies on the side or on top of a salad (goes yummy with mustard vinaigrette or honey mustard). I think you'll like it even without the mayonnaise. Trust me, I was wary about trying fresh tuna all my life until last year when a friend ordered it I asked to try a bite of hers. It was so good later that week I bought some for myself to cook. I think you'll like fresh tuna without mayo because its a high quality piece of fish as opposed to what comes in the can.

Salmon is pretty good and really easy to dress up with seasoning. Lemon and dill weed are my faves for salmon.

Tilapia is really known for being the "unfish" so its the least fishy tasting. Sole is another fish that has a light fishy flavor with flaky meat.

Keep in mind that tuna has a high mercury content so don't eat it too often as mercury is really bad for you. Tilapia, Sole and Salmon have significantly less mercury content than tuna so they are safe to eat around once per week. Here's a website for mercury content reference:

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/fishmercury.htm
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Orange roughy! Yum!