watch your sodium if you want to lose weight faster

Options
I have noticed high levels of sodium in many of the diets ladies....it will be healthier to cut back to 1.500 mg a day or less...i average 1000 but some days less because i avoid processed foods...

Replies

• kiannlouise
    kiannlouise Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Okay that's a good tip! I just added Sodium into my food diary because I didnt have it before!
    What catagories are best to stay under? carbs, fat, protein & sodium? Sugar?
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Sodium is a serious one for me, I am stage 2 hypertensive currently and in doing this I am hoping will end the need for medication. To be honest with you I had no idea sodium was litterally in everything :/ It is a tough one to keep down thats for sure! Its encouraging to know someone can do it for 1,000mg a day!
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Could you share your food diary with us? I'm curious to see what you're eating to keep it that low.
  • marianmaj
    marianmaj Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    yes and also add FIBER try for at least 15 grams a day...up to 35
  • marianmaj
    Options
    sure you can see my diary it is open to all friends just friend me!:heart:
  • marianmaj
    Options
    sure you can see my diary it is open to all friends just friend me!:heart:
  • marianmaj
    Options
    Yes you can do it too and you really MUST with your health issue....never ever EVER eat table salt...only sea salt ok? All processed food is laden with table salt and should be used in tiny amounts such as NONE!
  • marianmaj
    Options
    Yes you can do it too and you really MUST with your health issue....never ever EVER eat table salt...only sea salt ok? All processed food is laden with table salt and should be used in tiny amounts such as NONE!
  • kumamushi
    kumamushi Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Table salt has iodine added to it, which is important for avoiding stuff like thyroid problems. Why are you pushing sea salt so much, which has barely any iodine at all?
  • thefreemans28
    thefreemans28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    One thing I have discovered lately is making my own taco seasoning. Instead of the 580 mg of sodium in the prepackaged taco seasoning, homemade has only about 14! And the calories are 9 vs. 15! Here's what I use....

1 tablespoon chili powder
    1/4 teaspoon each of garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, paprika
    2 teaspoons cumin

You can add some cayenne pepper or more or less chili powder for taste. Also, adding minced onions is good too. I use it for taco dips, fajitas, tacos, etc.
  • Ctucker1962
    Options
    This one has recently surfaced as a big factor in seeing my pounds go down. I had found my weight loss plateauing at one point despite logging every bite and exercising consistently.

Sodium. The water magnet.

I'm at bigger risk because I have incompetent valves in my right leg veins. What this means is that I can balloon up my right leg until it is about 2x the side of the left from the knee down. That's a lot of water to carry around.

Sodium is so omnipresent in the world, most especially in pre-packaged foods. My wife, bless her heart, bought me an okra and tomato side dish. She wouldn't buy it for herself as she dislikes okra. I looked at the back and saw over 600 mg of sodium per serving.

That's a HUGE amount of sodium.

The problem is that I'm a guy who loves his salt. Back when I had all my own teeth I used to have cheat dates each week with a bowl of heavily salted popcorn.

The trouble is that the water you retain can mask the weight you lost, big time. Water alone can masquerade as pounds of fat on an otherwise fit individual. At the time that I was eating the popcorn on a weekly basis I was weighing in at 240. Considering all the other sources I was probably carrying between 5 and 20 lbs of water held captive by the sodium in my body.

I've been watching this more closely and gauging my sodium success not by scale but by observation of the swelling in my leg. When I am at my best I can weight my least.

My wife naturally avoids salt in her cooking by her own preferences. I must watch more closely the things that I take in which she doesn't prepare. It's not easy because the temptation remains. I just have to realize that any sodium binges will be reflected on the scale.

And that is a fact that I can not avoid.
  • jsteras
    jsteras Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    when I started on March 22nd I gave up the salt shaker completely. I have high blood pressure and my goal is to get off meds . I thought that would be enough but then I started watching my sodium intake and it was way to high. I at first didn't plan my meals ahead and even though I was under calories every day my sodium was too high. For three days now I have started planning the whole days meals ahead of time to stay under sodium level , What a difference. I have ankles again:) I lost 4 pounds since Friday. I was carrying around way to much water.