Anybody else hate running?

Options
amberaz
amberaz Posts: 328 Member
I have finally come to the terms with the fact that I am just not a runner. Every time I have tried to get into shape before, I would start running, keep up with it for 3-4 months, then burn out and stop working out. I just get so bored with the repetitive motion of running, it does not hold my attention AT ALL. I have now given up running for Turbo Fire, Zumba and weight training and I have come farther than I ever have before. I will actually be in shape enough to wear a bikini this summer instead of giving it up by May. Why did it take me so long to realize this :laugh:

Replies

• JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    Have you only ran on a treadmill?

Try trail running! Won't get bored, I promise!
  • abra526
    abra526 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    i am with you there! I started the C25K and only made it thru the first week. Maybe I'm not in good enough shape to run, because I just feel like I can't do it, and It always brings back terrible memories of my PE teacher cracking the whip, making us run the mile in school! I figure if we can find other fun workouts that get us to our goal, there's nothing wrong with going that route!
  • bakersduzin
    bakersduzin Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you!! I HATE running, and I even used to run cross-country in order to try and stay in shape (haha!). It doesn't matter where I'm running, I just get bored - even when I'm with a group. How do you like TurboFire? I've done TurboJam and right now I'm doing a combination of Jillian Michaels dvds and I love it! I'm thinking about ordering TurboFire within the next month or so.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Yess i feel the same way...as much as I can hate it at times I do it because it really helps me lose the pounds. However I put some music on or take a long walk.
  • dietcokeplease
    dietcokeplease Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I despise running! That's why I love The Bar Method so much: they don't like it either! I took their classes religiously when I lived in Chicago and now I have their DVDs since I moved away. Definitely check out a class if you have a studio in your area but the DVDs are fantastic too.
  • SammyLynn010
    SammyLynn010 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Running and I have a love hate relationship! lol

I am working on running a 5k at the moment and couldn't hate running more--but I love the way it makes me feel. So I keep going.

My suggestion to you is that you try running again but maybe break up the running with some other form of cardio through the week too. I have had to do that and it seems like it makes going to run easier.

Just a suggestion! =)
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I really, really want to be a runner but I just don't enjoy it. I'm hoping it grows on me eventually.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options

agreed :)
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! Trails are better ... but there's just too much in this noggin to leave me alone with it :wink: But I AM going to train so I can do Warrior Dash in October... that might be worth it!!
  • ginalhorst
    Options
    I'm heading out for a run now. See, there is the misconception- it's hard to LIKE the actual running. It hurts, it can be boring, and long, but the feeling of accomplishment when it's done is unmatchable. It doesn't get easy ever and if it gets easier then you can push your mileage or speed. I just run slow and steady, don't allow stopping (anymore but I did when I first started) and always have music if I'm not with my husband. It gives me time to think, and makes me feel so much better when I'm done. Don't say you're not a runner- you just could end up being one some day. Also, running outside is so much better too- you map out some trails on your car for mileage- such as one mile out, one mile back. Then do 1.5 out, and 2 out, etc. Once you get out, you have to get back :-) Or a big loop if you prefer. Don't give up on running. Just try some new ideas? best of luck. Add me as friends people! :-)
  • misko_kamane
    Options
    Same here. I hate running with passion :explode: traumatized in high school. but I cycle a lot. Pure pleasure and lots of burned calories :wink:
  • bhunter20
    bhunter20 Posts: 14
    Options
    For everyone that hates running and loves to read. I would suggest the book slow burn. This is not an advertisement or me promoting the book for the author i just seriously loved the book. It gave me a different view to running. I loved it!! Because like alot of people i was not very fond of running (:

6370930.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I love to run. But, there are some days.. that I am out on one of my runs.. and I am thinking WTF?? Am I doing?? But, I do think either you have to love it or hate it. Glad you found something that will get you to your goals. Maybe running could be something to do once in awhile. Good luck!
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options

Absolutely! Trail running invigorates my whole life. Changing foliage, streams and waterfalls, wildlife, even having to watch your step because of roots and rocks, its all good! Being out in the woods makes me appreciate life. I used to hike a lot but now I just have to break out in a run anytime I'm in the woods.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I also hate running! My trainer has tried unsuccessfully to get to me run twice now and each time I shut him down.

I never have been and never will be a runner.. I can get to the exact same place by walking :)
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Running is something that once you get to where you can run for long distances without about dying... then its fun.. until then its not fun tho... I dont' find it fun until I can get to where I can run 3-4 miles with ease.. then its fun to push myself.

I suggest entering a race. one in which you have to pay an entrance fee... its motivation and it keeps your drive to keep going up. Don't wanna waste the money do you?

I agree with the other ladies.. trail running is much better... it is also much harder in my opinion than the treadmill because it is a different kind of running... tread mills propell you, the road doesn't, you have to propel yourself.. makes it a better work out in less time. but I like it much better than the treadmill
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I would hope you aren't basing this on treadmill running or ellipticals. Personally, I hate running on treadmills... Life is too short to run in the same place continuously. :tongue:

The real world is so much more interesting. It also helps when you run with someone.

(Running tip #321: When selecting running partner make sure you are a faster runner. You never know when you may encounter a bear :laugh: )
  • tamcrit
    tamcrit Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Never thought I would consider myself a runner either, but I now do. The important thing is finding an activity you enjoy that you can stick with.
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    It's ok to hate running - not everything is for everyone!

I used to say I hate running, which I do - on the treadmill - BORING!!!

Then I started getting outside and running trails, sidewalks, golf courses. I have my music, my Nike + and quite often I add some dancing to the running (might make me look like an *kitten* to others but I am having fun, so I don't care). I love the feedback I get through the Nike + ipod attachement: "this is Lance Armstrong, you have just finished your fastest mile, keep up the good work!"

But, it really is OK to not like it, since you found several other things you do like!
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I used to feel the same way... I despised running with a passion! Now, I run 4-5 days a week. I agree that the biggest motivator (especially at the beginning) is the way you feel afterwards. But now, I feel like it's a time for me to really think and reflect on things... almost like a meditation. The steady movements can be very soothing and help me a lot with stress. It's also great to get to a point where you can realize that your body is working but can also feel like you can go forever... if you want to run, take it slow and work in to it. I started out running about 3 years ago doing 90 second intervals on a treadmill... but if you don't want to run (not don't like to, just don't want to), then don't. You have to do what works for you =)