Eat This, Not That....sodium edition

Options
Holy crap! watch out for the Weight Watchers Applebees chicken...YIKES!
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/42437050/ns/today-today_health/

Replies

• MamaLeague
    MamaLeague Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    bump to read later :)
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    No joke. Some of the Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice meals are ridiculously high in sodium too. I've started prepping and freezing stuff on my own to get away from the sodium in those low-cal convenience meals. Funny thing is I can usually beat them on calories as well as sodium - and I don't have to heat my food in toxic plastic either.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I used to eat salt packets as a kid... oooh I wish my parents had known better.
  • T0RIEELIZABETH
    Options
    GOOD LORD!
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    That is crazy amounts of sodium!
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I just read that. That's why I limit eating out to only once a week or so.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm almost always over on sodium, and this is eye-opening. The entrees themselves that they list have incredible amounts. But I especially find the recommendations disturbing. most of them still contain almost the full amount of sodium for a person in a day (~1500mg!).

Don't get me wrong - I'll probably order from the recommended list from now on though!
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    holy cow!!! and THATS why I try to eat out as little as possible. yikes. my daily sodium limit is 1000mg
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Subway is the same way. I typical 6 inch sub has 1000+mg of sodium. Eat a foot long and you've met your daily limit or higher.
  • yazminetw
    yazminetw Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    WOW!!!! MFP has been a huge help in tracking my salt intake. Sometime I am very surprised at the foods that have high amount of salt.
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Wow...this article has me laughing my butt off lol. Whenever I see shocking numbers like that I just have to laugh at how bad those things really are. It's unbelievable what we put in our bodies without knowing it.
  • Srbaby32
    Srbaby32 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    that's just one of the things that people don't take into consideration when they eat out or when they buy those box meals. People always consider low-cal or low fat healthier for you, but they don't think about other things like sodium. I was floored by how much sodium (and of course, calories) are in those restaurant meals. I've been trying to stay away from eating out because I've noticed that when I cook for myself I don't eat near as bad as I do when I buy fast food.

Also, Saratonin- you used to eat salt packets? Really?
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Completed my diary for the day and only had 666 mg of sodium- for the entire day... breakfast, lunch, dinner, and 3 snacks... and trust me- I eat a lot.

This is disgusting.
  • JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    Eating at restaurants is now such a thought out process...I made a hasty decision the other day and got a blackened salmon......got home, looked it was 920 mg of sodium....I was so bummed, its trial and error...but cooking home, from scratch is the best way to control what we eat...
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Wow...this article has me laughing my butt off lol. Whenever I see shocking numbers like that I just have to laugh at how bad those things really are. It's unbelievable what we put in our bodies without knowing it.

It is also unbelievable at how many people don't educate themselves on what they are eating... ya know? Seriously- restaurants are in business to make money... not make us healthier. I wish the country would put things in perspective and start thinking for themselves... just b/c it is on a menu or labeled as "good for you" doesn't make it so. (shakes head) So glad we all found MFP!
  • 30tips
    30tips Posts: 132
    Options
    There´s another article that mentions an experiment, where they found out that people will eat more, if they are served more. That is probably why serving sizes in restaurants have increased.
    Here is the link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/30tips/view/conspiracy-theory-85444
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I also used to eat salt when I was younger. Not just salt packets, but I'd pour Lawry's Seasoned Salt into my palm and just eat it like that. Another favorite was sprinkling salt on watermelon. So tasty!

My mom and I used to relax in the evenings with a locally made Acme baguette, some Plugra butter and a jar of Fleur de Sel. Just slice of pieces of the baguette, smear it with the butter and sprinkle the Fleur de Sel on it. Until the baguette was gone.

What's funny is that while I've always been overweight, since I hit puberty at least. It wasn't during those times that I really packed on pounds. It was after those nights of bread/butter/salt or loads of amazing artisan cheeses and imported meats. It was when I got a desk job and I was constantly surrounded by fast food, bagels and sweet bakery items.
  • tarabee04
    Options
    I have been a huge fan of the eat this not that series. High BP runs in my family so I watch my sodium intake very closely. I am the queen of checking out the per serving sodium labels. They hide salt in everything but once you learn about sauces, frozen meals, etc you learn what to avoid when eating out.