"Clean Plate" Eater

Options
I've started noticing that I am a "clean plate" kind of eater. I'm not married (yet), I live alone, and money can be tight at times for me and my boyfriend. So, when I order something and I have to spend money on it, I clean the plate, because I don't want to waste it and waste the money I spent on it. I know there are other options, like take 1/2 of it home, but I'm a foody in the way that I do NOT like eating leftovers. I've always been that way. For me to eat leftovers means that I must REALLY like the food. I know I can share a meal, but my family is so weird about sharing food in which they don't share at all, so that it really isn't an option. I'm torn. Because I can't seem to kick the habit of cleaning my plate. I don't think I've always been this way, but I started noticing it more so lately. I feel as though I need to reprogram my brain to know that it's okay to eat leftovers, share a meal, or just leave it behind. Besides, who likes mushy french fries!?

Replies

• NickiChase
    NickiChase Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Two words: smaller plate! :wink:
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I've always done this, and I struggle with changing this habit in particular. My mom made me clean my plate when I was a kid, and I think that's where my struggles started. It's so hard when we go out, because I feel like I'm spending a lot of money on this food, I don't want to waste it, then I usually go over my calories when I go out to eat so I have a "screw it, I'm already over, what's 700 extra calories on top of that" kind of thought process.

What I've started doing is not ordering the sides, like the other day I had a whopper at burger king, but juuuust the whoppper even though I really wanted the fries. I do this at nicer places too, or just ordering a half portion, or an appetizer
  • nikos
    nikos Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think of it as you can either "waste" it by leaving it at the table, or "waste" it by eating unnecessary calories that are going to stop you from losing weight. When you're half done, you usually full, you have enjoyed what you ate, and eating more is only more of the same. If you don't want to eat it later, and no else at the table wants it, leave it. You aren't doing any favors by eating more than you really want.
  • mkcalvert
    mkcalvert Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Two words: smaller plate! :wink:

Love it...and maybe try asking if they can bring 1/2 and put the other 1/2 in a to go box before they bring your food to the table
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    share what you order with your boyfriend. Also, you should not match a guy's intake bite for bite (that's my biggest mistake, I try to eat the same exact portions as my husband and he's 6' tall and I'm 5'6". Big difference in what we can eat each day.
  • JenCM
    JenCM Posts: 195
    Options
    I feel your pain. This is something I've had to break myself of doing. I was probably like that because growing up we really didn't have a lot most of the time, so we were supposed to eat everything on our plate and not waste food. Which was fine then....but as the eating got out of control it was a bigger deal to eat everything on my plate when I piled it with 3 times more food than I needed!
    We still struggle with money...but when we do go out to eat, I either eat half of what I get or get a smaller meal.
    One way to eat leftovers - is re-cook them as something else! If you like to cook it can be interesting seeing what you can come up with to use over again in a new way. Then they're less like leftovers and more like Made-overs. Something new from something old!
  • mageepilot
    mageepilot Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with this too. I have to MAKE myself throw it out if I shouldn't eat it. It does get easier. And better to throw it out than eat it and wear the pounds. I am now considering telling the server to not bring me the things I'm not going to eat - like the roll, sour cream, etc. And/or bring me a smaller portion.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    If you eat out a lot, order Kid's meals. That is a much better portion size and you will save money.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Most restaurants will have a "petite" size or smaller version of things...

I was this same way..

and I HATE leftovers.. the only restaurant I bring left overs home from is the cheese cake factory.

I had to reprogram myself.

What I did was this, when I realized that I ate too much, the next time I ate I decided that the first moment my stomach felt full I was going to put the spoon down.

I did this last night with my nightly slice of cheese cake. lol The night before I realized that I couldn't eat a whole slice, so last night, I promised myself that if I got to the last few bites and realized I was full, I was going to stop regardless.. Turns out there was one more bite on my plate and I was full. So I put the spoon down and gave the rest to my husband. He even exclaimed "its only one bite!" and I said, "yep, but Im full."

Its been a process. but you will get there eventually. Just think, if you eat it, you are just going to put weight on, and then have to burn it off at the gym that you are paying 80 dollars for. or what ever... so its all money spent. No need to punish yourself because you are full.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I think of it as you can either "waste" it by leaving it at the table, or "waste" it by eating unnecessary calories that are going to stop you from losing weight. When you're half done, you usually full, you have enjoyed what you ate, and eating more is only more of the same. If you don't want to eat it later, and no else at the table wants it, leave it. You aren't doing any favors by eating more than you really want.

You can "waste" it or "waist" it. Good one.

As for the fries...My brother always ate the fries at the restaurant and took the hamburger home. That isn't so bad as a leftover! :)
  • ShakenWithJoy
    Options
    i have a few answers to your question - most hovering around if friends and fam won't support your goal then find new people to dine with ... but that seems a bit rude and we can't just chuck are family to weeds ...

ask for only a half (kids/senior/lower carb) portion - i like the look when i get when i ask for a "Low Carb" portion :tongue:

great use of leftover fries ...

use a baking stone (like pampered chef stuff) to reheat the fries in the oven to return them to their crispy glory :happy:
    use them as a base for some great bean chili or a hearty lean chicken stew

chop them as 'croutons' for potato soup

juillene them and use to top a veggie casserole
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Some things taste good leftover, and some don't. Try to order things that are fine reheated.

Or, look for the smallest items on the menu.
  • StVal
    StVal Posts: 91
    Options
    If you eat out a lot, order Kid's meals. That is a much better portion size and you will save money.

I've recently started doing this. Even though a lot of restaurants give you a hard time about it, most will be fine with it. Plus, sometimes the kids' meals have something a little different and better for then adult meals. i.e. instead of fries, they offer apple slices. SCORE!!
  • BeyondApril
    BeyondApril Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Some restaurants will let you order the "lunch sized" portion if you ask - sometimes I ask for it and still pay for the full dinner portion because I AM WORTH IT and I also clean the plate (even at home!)
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I always use my smaller bowls at home just for this purpose. The other thing you can do is just not put as much on your plate in the first place.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    When you eat out, automatically cut the meal in half, clear the right half of the plate, and then the rest goes in a to-go box. Get all of the meal for 1/2 the price and 1/2 the calories.
  • jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Don't eat out as much, and when you do either take some home or split your meal with whomever is out with you.
    My wife and I started eating at home more and not only are we losig weight but we're saving a lot more money.
  • betsy_blixt
    Options
    You could ask the waiter to just bring half and that you will still pay for the full amount. They will be making the same amount of money and you won't eat as much.
  • nomoremuffintopness
    nomoremuffintopness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with this too. However, Ive read a tip from Kim Kardashian in a mag, she will pour her water (or whatever beverage) on her food and "ruin" it that way she wont continue to eat it. So when shes full and had enough, she "ruins" her meal and is no longer tempted. I heard pouring salt on your meal works too. Im going to start to do this, well Im going to try.
  • BeyondApril
    BeyondApril Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I used to "ruin" the kids' leftovers when they were young, otherwise I'd be eating their other sandwich halves, crusts, the end of their pasta, the rest of their chocolate milk... Right into the sink they go!