My hubby hates brown rice

Options
He won't eat it.

Is there any kind of rice that looks and tastes like white rice but has the benefits of brown?

Probably a lost cause, lol.

Replies

• DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    my "we need to eat better" husband prefers white rice & have rallied our kids against me... I cook brown rice anyway and if they dont eat it, I have no guilt...DH has taken to buying white rice & cooking it when it is his turn to make dinner ( like tonight)

and while not all of my kids like quinoa, my husband dies which surprised me since he doesnt like brown rice

Also, I cant tell you how it tastes yet ( I just purchased it when I went shopping the other day) but Kashi makes a pilaf product... I figure if Kashi makes it, it cant be that bad for us

ETA: here is the link to the Kashi Pilaf
    http://www.kashi.com/products/kashi_pilaf_original

oops put correct link this time

hero.jpg
  • jennyph2006
    jennyph2006 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • crystal10584
    Options
    they've come out with whole grain rice. not as good as brown, but it's better than white.
  • FatBastard6135
    Options
    Sorry .. I am with your Hubby .. I would rather take the calorie hit than to eat brown rice :smile:

If there is something out there I'll try it
  • ChassityGetsFit
    ChassityGetsFit Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You could always make him a separate pot of white rice for him and a pot of brown rice for you and whoever else wants to eat it! I'm finding that I have to do this sort of thing a lot in my family in order to get through it! :D
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I don't mind brown rice.... I've noticed that if I cook it and add some soy sauce, I can't taste a different. Or, even less of a difference, because it absorbs the color, is to make homemade rice a roni, by adding in some chicken base with the rice while it cooks. Then it turns yellow like the chicken base and tastes like the chicken base.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Mix half and half and slowly put more and more brown rice into the mix.
    Or, eat the white.
  • sylvia1970
    sylvia1970 Posts: 134
    Options
    He won't eat it.

Is there any kind of rice that looks and tastes like white rice but has the benefits of brown?

I don't blame him. I hate it too. I have basmati rice but just have less of it. That way i'm enjoying something i like. But I also substitute it sometimes for bulgarwheat. And i do like that and alot less calories too.
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    they dont get a choice in my house lol what I cook either eat or dont...I am not an all you can eat buffet cook so starve lol

No really brown rice is not as good as white by any means but seriously I tell my hubby to put on your big boy underwear and deal with it. It's not like we eat it every day so once a week or so can be a small sacrifice made for rice :wink:
  • Somenameioi
    Somenameioi Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Have you tried different kinds of brown rice? There is jasmine, basmati, short grain, long grain... We like basmati. Is it a flavor thing or a texture thing? Maybe try cooking it differently. I made Mexican Rice with basmati rice the other day. I made it with 1 cup of rice, 2 cups of water and then added a can of tomato sauce or diced tomatoes. My husband was surprised that it was brown when I told him. Maybe you can disguise it and see if he notices?
  • HunnyLuvsJorge
    HunnyLuvsJorge Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My husband is the same way. I don't really get it. Brown rice does taste different, but if you keep eating it you don't really notice the difference. At least that's how it is for me. I don't miss eating white rice all that much and that's major especially since I'm Asian. haha I'd rather eat brown rice than no rice at all. But I have heard that wild rice pilafs are good for you - at least better than white rice. We eat pilaf sometimes and I enjoy it, but I couldn't eat it all the time cuz it has so much more flavor that white or brown rice. I bet you could even try and sneak some brown rice in there too.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer brown rice because I like the nuttiness of it. As others have suggested, you could try cooking it in some sort of low-sodium broth to see if that makes it more palatable to your hubby.

But you are not a short-order cook, either. He'll eat what you make or he'll learn to boil rice. ;)
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I started out by mixing a bit of brown in with the white (not for hubby, but step son), slowly increasing the brown:white ratio. we are now all eating brown rice all the time. In fact my step son said the other day that his mom's rice has something wrong with it- it just doesn't taste right. Yep, she uses white only and now he likes brown better!
  • JohnBlazeNY
    JohnBlazeNY Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm Puerto Rican so I grew up on white rice & beans salty to the t!

My wife makes the brown rice as if she was cooking it the Latin way. Instead of water she uses low sodium chicken broth which makes a huge difference. No salt due to the broth.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    He won't eat it.

I hear white rice looks and tastes like white rice. And, it has almost the exact same benefits of brown rice!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9302338
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Wild Rice may work for you.

My personal favorite is Millet!!! Its really really good for you (here's a link describing its health benefits: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=53).

I buy it at my local natural foods coop, I'm guessing whole foods or trader joe's may have it as well.

I cook 1 cup of millet in 2 cups of low sodium chicken broth in a covered pot...bring to a boil, then down to a simmer, watch that it doesn't burn on the bottom. It doesn't take long 10 - 20 minutes? for all the liquid to absorb then I just turn the heat off and let sit covered til I'm ready to use it. I put it in all fashions of soup and it makes a great pilaf for jambalaya.

If it gets brown but not blackened on the bottom, eat it like corn bread! Its DELISH!!!

good luck and happy eating!!
    JoJo
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Try quinoa. Its better for you than rice, it has more protein and tastes delicious.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Rice is rice. Brown may score a little bit lower on the glycemic index, but truthfully doesn't do much for you otherwise.

I would also suggest either a) cutting it out completely or b) substituting something like quinoa or garbanzo beans instead.

There is no rules in a healthy lifestyle that say brown rice must be eaten. :wink:
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Quinoa & Farro!

My local Costco sells Farro. Whole grain, tastes better than brown rice (IMO), has 3g fiber & 5g protein per serving! It cooks up puffier than rice; like barley.
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I hate it too. i refuse to eat it. It's gummy and nutty. Yick. I like basmati