Bored at work..soo I start eating..

Options
mwray06
mwray06 Posts: 10 Member
I often get really bored sitting at my desk so food is an easy distraction...I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions on how I can get my mind off food (especially late in the afternoon)..I have tried drinking water but it is hard to constantly be going to the bathroom. Please help! Thanks!

Replies

• teachparents
    teachparents Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    same problem here.. sorry cant help but interested in others answers
  • ngoat
    ngoat Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    ditto!
  • wearmi1
    wearmi1 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Sometimes chewing sugar free gum works for me!
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Sugar free gum or brushing your teeth, listerine works well too!!
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I drink water...LOL...I know it's not what you want to hear.

I also bring snacks like carrot sticks, celery, fruit...stuff to keep at my desk so I have something quick to grab.

I also keep a supply of sugarfree gum...helps the cravings for something sweet!

Good Luck!
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    You could always choose to munch on healthy snacks like carrot sticks....or celery.....Something that you can nibble on, but not have to feel guilty about...? Gum works, too. Sometimes even just sucking on a peppermint can alleviate my cravings.

Sorry that I can't be of more help!
  • debdptg
    debdptg Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My best suggestion is to brush your teeth during your morning (or afternoon) break. It is always easier to not eat when you have brushed and flossed. Plus, it satisfies the hand to mouth issue. At least this worked when I quit smoking a decade ago!
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Well, sometimes it is hard to get your mind off of food, so why don't you have a healthy snack ? Maybe bring a sandwich bag of baby carrots to munch on, cut up celery or 100 calorie packs of almonds ?
  • Ash32b
    Ash32b Posts: 9
    Options
    I try to keep healthy snacks at my desk & the sugar free gum works best for me to:)
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I also have the same problem, because of that I make sure to only pack really good thing with me.

Carrots
    Apples
    Oranges
    Grapes
    Strawberries

These can be considered your snacks and munches. They are extremely low in calories and fill you up (Especially apples!!)

I wish you the best of luck ^_^
  • marmite230
    Options
    Biggest problem for anyone working a desk job.
    I drink 2L bottle water every day.

Hardest days in the office are birthdays..... People bring in cakes.... the office has 50+ people so there are a lot of birthdays!!!
  • ChvyGrl22
    ChvyGrl22 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I've tried the water and it doesn't help. Sometimes I get up and stretch and toss a little stress ball I keep in my drawer around to distract me. Lately that hasn't helped much either so I started snacking on sunflower seeds, but I get the ones still in the hull so it's a little extra work to eat them so I can eat a smaller amount but feel like I ate a ton for all the work. They're cheap and 1/4 of a bag of the ranch flavored ones (which is a good heap) is around 35 calories!
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Water water water! And I always make sure that I bring plenty of healthy snacks with me so I can snack when I want to :)
  • ybelen
    ybelen Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Chewing gum or taking a quick walk.
    My job location has a lake and going aroung the lake 5.5 times = one mile
  • skinnymia
    skinnymia Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Gum for sure
    Lip gloss
    Get up and file, etc.
    Bring an apple!
    Never get anything from the snack/soda machine again. Ever!
  • ShiloughCoy
    Options
    I actually talk to myself a lot :) I find myself reaching for some food, see my hand going for it, and I 1.STOP! 2. Ask myself (if the craving is really strong I say it out loud) "Are you actually hungry or just eating to eat?"

That usually snaps me back to reality. Unfortunately, tips and tricks don't usually work. They just re-channel your bad behavior to something else.

Not what you want to hear, I know!! Sorry!
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    We dont have vending machines at work which I have to admit I am sooooo grateful for. So the only thing I CAN eat at my desk is what I bring so I make sure my calories stay within my goal. So if the visiting the vending machines are what makes you cave, dont bring cash to work!!!
  • snowflakelaia
    Options
    Biggest problem for anyone working a desk job.
    I drink 2L bottle water every day.

Hardest days in the office are birthdays..... People bring in cakes.... the office has 50+ people so there are a lot of birthdays!!!

There's always lots of food in the office too... and it's never healthy stuff. I drink lots of herbal and green tea, and I have hardboiled eggs or nuts in my desk to avoid the sweet stuff as much as possible.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    BUNNY LUV BABY CARROTS! trust me, my job is a very boring desk job too, sometimes i eat just to stay awake. or measure out dry cherrios...they keep the mouth and hands busy. i love kashi bars too but they're gone to quickly. also take a thermos of tea, the act of pouring it out every so often helps too....I usually nosh between breakfast and lunch, those are my "killer eating times" so I have to make sure that i'm eating something appropriate...and by 2pm i'm not hungry anymore...good luck!
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I have my snacks planned for the day, that way I always have something to grab. I also have a designated snacking time, which is usually around 10am for the morning and 3pm for the afternoon. That way I know exactly when I will be able to eat. I also drink lots of water throughout the day.