New to this Anybody been diagnosed with a vitamin deficiency

Options
I have lost a total of 52 pounds and I have another 57 to go to get to my goal weight. The problems I am having are my joints hurt so bad. After I exercise my knees and my hands ache tremendously. Wondering if anyone could give me an idea of which vitamins I should take for a vitamin deficiency that will work? Oh I almost forgot, I was reading one of the blogs about hair loss, my hair is also thining. I will be bald and cripplied if I don't get some help.

Replies

• MGleason2010
    MGleason2010 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    No suggestions for vitamins, but have you thought about going to the Dr. and having blood work done?

I just had my blood work done and I had no idea that I was vitamin D decficient. I am now taking perscription Vitamin D!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    2nd vote on getting a physical at your Dr.'s
  • crystal10584
    Options
    do you take a daily multi-vitamin? If you want to know which vitamins in specific you need to get more of, talk to your doc :)
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I take glucosamine for the joint pain. You can find it at WalMart or get a good vitamin supplement specifically formulated for joints at GNC.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I have lost a total of 52 pounds and I have another 57 to go to get to my goal weight. The problems I am having are my joints hurt so bad. After I exercise my knees and my hands ache tremendously. Wondering if anyone could give me an idea of which vitamins I should take for a vitamin deficiency that will work? Oh I almost forgot, I was reading one of the blogs about hair loss, my hair is also thining. I will be bald and cripplied if I don't get some help.

Most people in the NW are Vitamin D deficient. If you can't go in for tests, it's just a good idea to take a multivitamin and make sure you get your fruits and vegies, dairy and protein in.

My hair is also thinning, this was one of the things that got me going with weight loss, I don't want to be fat and bald, I have control over the weight, but can't figure out what it is with the thinning.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Definitely get a physical and get some blood tests ran. I am deficient in iron. All others are fine (but I take a flinstone chewable and drop of Vit D daily). I have thinning hair, fatigue, etc, but I also have Hashimoto's disease. So many different things can cause hair loss and joint pain!
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Sounds like maybe you've cut your calories too low or maybe hypothyroid, ask your doctor to order a blood test. (I have it, so I'm familiar with the symptons, it could easily be something else too, you really should talk to your doctor about it)
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I believe its called biotin for your hair. Its all natural.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Sounds like maybe you've cut your calories too low or maybe hypothyroid, ask your doctor to order a blood test. (I have it, so I'm familiar with the symptons, it could easily be something else too, you really should talk to your doctor about it)

Totally agree, doctors know best especially if they check ya blood!
  • KrystiR
    KrystiR Posts: 16
    Options
    My Dr told me I was vitamin D deficient. they just prescribed vitamin d supplements and I take that along with the multivitamin I take. I have to get bloodwork everytime I finish a bottle of the supplements to check to see if i need to continue or if I can just take the multi. so far I still take them. Have you tried glucosamine. Supposed to help with joints (flexomin i think is one and they even have it in juice). It prob wouldnt be a bad idea to see your dr for labwork. hair loss can also be indicative of something hormonal (like thyroid). Take care of you, please see dr to rule out anything serious.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    First, I agree that going to the doctor would be the prudent thing to do if you can. (I have no health insurance so I understand that sometimes it's just not able to happen.)

Several years ago (before I had my latest child) I had lost just under 50 pounds using diet and exercise. I had quite a bit of hair loss from that and did ask the doctor at the time. She told me that it was most likely because of hormones. As you gain or lose a lot of weight it will effect your hormones which can in turn cause hair loss. She told me to continue with my vitamins and weight loss program but if the hair loss didn't slow after a few months to come back for further testing. That may or may not be your issue, best to check with the doc (especially if you have other symptoms of thyroid disease).

For the vitamins, I do take Vitamin D (Studies have shown that adults need at least 4,000 per day to prevent cancer but the RDA's are significantly lower than that. 10,000 is the threshold of danger so don't exceed that.) I also take a multi vitamin and have recently added a "greens" powder to my morning routine. I've only been taking that for three days but I do feel more alert in the morning. The one I have is Amazing Greens or something like that. Lots of organic green and highly antioxidant foods ground up into a powder.

I also drink one green smoothie daily. This I've been doing since the end of August and it has made a HUGE difference in my health. In fact, before I started drinking them I was really having a hard time with my Fibromyalgia. Once I began drinking a smoothie a day (all organic fruits and vegetables; primarily spinach or another leafy green) I started feeling better, my muscle aches diminished, my hair started growing (a lot!!!) my nails got stronger, the fatigue lessened and I felt strong enough to begin exercising more than I had been. I also lost 8 pounds without tracking my food intake.

The other thing I did that really helped me (though this has nothing to do with your question) is I cut out processed foods as much as possible and don't eat white flour or sugar.

Hope you figure it out and feel better soon. :)
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    DEFINITLY SEE A DOCTOR, BUT MY VIT. D WAS OFF THE CHARTS LOW, AND I AM ON HIGH DOSES FOR THE NEXT 16 WEEKS. GOOD LUCK
  • barefootbeautiful
    Options
    I believe its called biotin for your hair. Its all natural.

Biotin is generally taken to strengthen air and nails, true. But don't take it if you're going to the Dr. - which you SHOULD - because it can give you false positive high results for some thyroid issues. I agree that you should see a physician and have some test work done.

Aside from that - could the knees be from bad form? Are you working with a trainer? It could be as simple a fix as staying on your heels during squatting and lunging.... Or as bad as arthritis. Again, check with the pros.

If you ARE seriously working out, I highly recommend a daily vitamin, probably extra Vit. D if you live in the NW like I do (I generally supplement 5000IU during the winter months), and make SURE you're getting enough Omega 3s; a good omega supplement can go a long way towards helping with joint ache.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Glad to see I'm not the only one taking children's vitamins. The regulars give me really bad headaches. Wasn't able to take prenatals because the headaches were so bad.
    Definitely get a physical and get some blood tests ran. I am deficient in iron. All others are fine (but I take a flinstone chewable and drop of Vit D daily). I have thinning hair, fatigue, etc, but I also have Hashimoto's disease. So many different things can cause hair loss and joint pain!