stress fracture

Options
One week before I was to run my first 5k, I injured my ankle. I went to my podiatrist and he ordered an MRI. Turns out I had a stress fracture to my tibia and tendonitis. He told me to keep it wrapped, ice and elevate when possible. Its been three weeks now and I'm still in quite a bit of pain, but there is some improvement. Anyone else have anything like this? I'm really wondering how long before I can start back running again?

Replies

• hclayton46
    hclayton46 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Had the same thing, except I was in terrible pain; left side only. It felt like my shin bone was going to split in half. That was around October of last night. I can run a 5K on the treadmill, but I have to wear a calf/shin brace that I got an Academy, otherwise it starts to hurt. Although I have been fitted for shoes to try to correct the problem, the podiatrist told me its just the mechanics of my bones/feet.
    Pain management, elevating, compresses, icing, etc., didn't help me at all. I didn't start running again until about a month ago.
  • jeremymaritz
    Options
    Hey,

I'm exactly a week into recovering from Achilles Tendonitis (damn heel!) and I sympathize with you greatly! I feel like a complete invalid if I can't be out running.

Those fractures take forever and ever to heal (especially on a bone as overused as the tibia), so I would follow the docs advice. You get on it now and all you'll do is make it worse. I'd say keep it iced and elevated and either go do some bike riding or get over to the gym to do some no-impact exercise like spinning (best way to keep your VO2 max up while injured) or even some light elliptical. You can also use this time to do some strength training.

Point is you're not all the way down and out...just let that part of you heal and keep working on the parts that still work. :)
  • tkaderabek3161
    tkaderabek3161 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue a few months back. I was off from running for 2-3 weeks. And when I started back up i took it very easy. Just let it heel and make sure your feeling good before you go back to running, you dont want to make things worse!!
  • orchid100
    orchid100 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I had problems with severe pain on front of my feet when i started exercising ... was only walking , not running though. The pain felt almost as if you had tied your shoes too tight, and it really hurt.

Went to my doctor and she said i was suffering from stress fractures and inflammation. She advised pain relief, ice packs and to get some fitted shoes for walking. She told me that if I could manage the pain I would not be doing myself and harm walking through it.... So after taking her advice , new shoes (the best move ever!!) , pain killers before a walk to take the edge off and ice if bad after, I now have no pain at all and am walking 30 + miles a week.

I know this is only one opinion , but it worked for me. Hope you find your way through the problem too.

Good Luck
  • cjwilson57
    Options
    Believe me, I have been in terrible pain. Just starting to get a little better. You haven't run since October?!