I'm new to MFP and dieting is hard... need advice/encouragem

Options
I am excited to be new on MFP... I have seen how this website has helped my sister lose so much weight. Now I am hoping it leads me in the right direction. Of course, This is my 100th diet but this time it feels different. I want my life back. I feel like I have lost mosts of my teen and twenties life and I want to enjoy my late twenties and beyond!!! There is so much stuff I have wanted to do and my weight does not allow it. I am in need of encouragement and support please add me Beautifulat28 . I have a twin sister, a great family and tons of friends that I want to be around for years to come!! PLEASE feel free to share some workout tips, healthy food advice is much needed, and how do u deal with cravinging sweets!

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dieting is hard because it's usually something you look at doing for a certain amount of time (goal weight perhaps) and then getting away from going back to eating "normally" which is what got me where I am in the first place, I didn't know how to eat right, portions were all out of whack.

Log everything you're eating, make healthier choices, I personally can't give up my "full-fat full-flavour" miracle whip in favour of the 30% less fat ones (yuck) so I just use 30% less and get the same benefit yet ALL the taste that I'm looking for.
    Eat less processed foods, eat less of the high calorie stuff (I'm using spaghetti squash in place of spaghetti now, 50 calories a plate instead of 300) These are changes I'll be able to "live with for life"
  • mirna_ayala0428
    mirna_ayala0428 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I couldn't have said better. I throughly enjoy eating. However, I have learned that I don't need to deprive myself of the things I love but that I need to excercise more portion control and plan my meals a little bit better. I think most of us fail not because we give up but because for some of us, these changes must remain in place for the rest of our lives.

I know that I enjoy food maybe way too much, therefore, I know that even when I reached my goal, I will have to continue to workout and probably continue to note down what I'm eating in order to keep myself in check.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I am just about at the end of my weight loss, but I will never be at the end of this journey. I am in the final 10 pounds, toning and tightening but I will be eating like this for the rest of my life. I have been slowly adding calories back, but after nearly a year of measuring and counting, it is a part of me.

My biggest breakthrough was realizing that this was a change in my way of living. Not a diet. Not a short term solution. If you are ready to make that commitment, this will happen for you. Stick it out and you will see results. Ask questions, but go with answers that seem realistic, and don't follow the fads.

And finally, remember that while cutting calories helps at the start, you need to eat to live, so as you get closer to your target, start slowing down the rate of loss you are aiming for and your loss will continue. It got me through 3 plateaus in my journey. Good luck!
  • greatescape
    greatescape Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Just the fact that you said "this time it feels different" means that you could be ready. This is NOT a diet. I won't even be cliche and say it's a "lifestyle change". It's more of a commitment to yourself. If you want to be healthy and live a longer, more care free life, then counting calories is a great way to get you there. I still eat everything I love! I just do it in moderation. I no longer feel guilty about having "treats" now and then, and although I've always dreaded working out, this time I finally feel like the benefits outweigh my laziness. The best advice I can give you is to find something you love, or at least don't mind, to keep you active. Logging definitely helps you with your eating habits, but being active feels GREAT once you get the hang of it!
  • kruda
    kruda Posts: 2
    Options
    Welcome! I felt like "this time is different" when I first joined MFP too - that's definitely the right attitude! Stick with it!

I deal with sweets cravings by choosing lower calorie treats (example: Skinny Cow Mini Fudge Pops - they're only 50 calories!) or only eating one portion of candy. I also love mixing frozen berries with plain yogurt...it's a sweet healthy treat that you can have all the time - frozen berries don't really go bad so it is a good alternative to fresh fruit because you can have it on hand at all times to deal with sweets cravings!

Even just getting a walk in during the day can make a big difference. If your on a time-crunch, Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred is an effective quick workout.

Good luck!! :smile: