Q about hair loss and hypothyroid (not MFP related)

Options
I've been on medication for 5 months now and my hair is still falling out in mass amounts. Also, my neck has been dry and itchy for a month now (this is new.) The doc recently re-checked my hormone levels and hasn't contacted me (a good sign, since they only contact if something is abnormal.) So my question is this: once your levels are back to normal shouldn't your hair stop falling out? At this rate I'm going to be bald by summer... I'm pretty concerned.

Replies

• Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Ha ha ha... Not necessarily. Pick up an evening primrose oil supplement. You have to give it a couple of months, allowing for your hair's cycle of growth, but it will slow the hair loss down. It's the only thing that's worked for me.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I've been on thyroid medecine for years and I mentioned to my doctor that I didn't feel any different whether I took it or not, so she switched my meds...my hair begain falling out in clumps in the shower (amazingly not enough to show bald spots, but had it continued it would have eventually shown). I switched back to my old medicine and within a few months the shedding went back to a normal daily amount. So mention it to your doc and see about switching meds (I'm on the generic for levoxyl, not sure of the name of the one that made my hair fall out).

I also take Biotin, it's a hair, skin, and nails supplement, you can get it for under $2 at Target....just make sure to check with your pharmacist to make sure it doesn't mix badly with any of your RX's.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Did you start the medication when you started MFP? I only ask because a lot of things can cause hair loss, including your low calorie diet and not getting enough vitamins and minerals. Do you take a multivitamin?
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I have Graves disease, but had the radioactive iodine treatment and began taking levoxyl in 1996. My hair has fallen out since I began taking it. Some days I lose large clumps, other days it is just strands. My thyroid levels are good. But my hair continues to fall out. 15 years later, I'm not bald, but my hair is thinner than it used to be. It seems to be a part of my life I just have to deal with. I've tried taking different combinations of vitamins and supplements, nothing has worked.
  • jsoaper01
    jsoaper01 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My hair fell out for months and it was alot. I had vitamin levels checked and it was vitamin deficiencies. This may be a start for you. Ask about B12 levels.
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Did you start the medication when you started MFP? I only ask because a lot of things can cause hair loss, including your low calorie diet and not getting enough vitamins and minerals. Do you take a multivitamin?
    It was falling out before MFP. I started my medication way before MFP (about 5 1/2 months ago. I've been on MFP for about 5 1/2 weeks.)

I take a prenatal/postpartum multivitamin 3 - 4 times a week.
  • abyssfully
    Options
    I have Graves disease, but had the radioactive iodine treatment and began taking levoxyl in 1996. My hair has fallen out since I began taking it. Some days I lose large clumps, other days it is just strands. My thyroid levels are good. But my hair continues to fall out. 15 years later, I'm not bald, but my hair is thinner than it used to be. It seems to be a part of my life I just have to deal with. I've tried taking different combinations of vitamins and supplements, nothing has worked.
    I take levothyroxine (is this the same, just generic?)
  • abyssfully
    Options
    ~ I just looked up levothyroxine side effects and both hair loss and "unexplained rash" are there. Looks like it's time to make an appointment with my doc. ~
  • wises5
    wises5 Posts: 53
    Options
    its normal i'm on levo too & sometime name brand if my doc gives me samples...i've had my problem for five years
    it wont stop & it sucks
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I take levothyroxine (is this the same, just generic?)

Yes, it's the same.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I recommend natural dessicated thyroid hormone. The real stuff, like Armor or Thyroid (Canada) brand. The stuff has seriously given me my life back.
  • kirstengirl
    Options
    I was on Levoxothyrene (generic) for years. It stopped working recently and now I am on Synthroid (non-generic) and it has made a difference.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    It was falling out before MFP. I started my medication way before MFP (about 5 1/2 months ago. I've been on MFP for about 5 1/2 weeks.)

I take a prenatal/postpartum multivitamin 3 - 4 times a week.

Cool, I was just curious! Looks like you should probably ask for a different med. I hope you have better side effects with the next one. :)
  • jansus
    jansus Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    that must be really hard for you. My hair has been really dry - but the only place i lost hair was my eyebrows. I have been getting headaches at the back of my neck and feeling hot but no rash.
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I have had hypothyroidism since 18 months old. I was on Synthroid (the name brand stuff) for a long time until we lost our insurance. Now I am on the off brand, Levothyroxin and haven't had any adverse side effects. However, I do have a B 12 deficiency and an iron deficiency and a vitamin D deficiency which has nothing to do with my thyroid. My body does not metabolize vitamins and minerals correctly. It is why in the week leading up to my next B 12 shot I have a hard time functioning and being productive.
  • jansus
    jansus Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    did anyone feel worse before they got better on the thyroid tablets? Had a bad day today - feeling very up and down -nauseous and tingly pins and needles in hands