Not new... but my first post

Options
I have been on My Fitness Pal for about a month now, and I am finally getting the hang of it. I try to log in daily at work, then I have the app on my phone and on my Ipod... I have no excuses NOT to log my progress! Im having some serious motivation issues though. I NEED to lose weight! I am so uncomfortable with my body its not even funny, and I know what I need to do in order to get to my goal weight I just cant get the motivation to go to to the gym or not eat that butterfinger that stares at me from behind the vending machine glass. Im 5'4'' and 152 pounds, I want to be at 140 by May 15th and my ultimate goal is to be 125 by July 15th (My 23rd birthday.) I know this is a very reasonable goal, but I would LOVE to hear what other people do to lose weight... what you eat, how you exercise, how often you work out... the whole shabang. I just need to wrap my mind around how easy it is to get to the weight I want to be at!!! Any and all feedback is much appreciated!!!

Replies

• Puggled
    Puggled Posts: 26
    Options
    It's dead easy. It only seems hard until you get into the swing of things. You'll loose that weight in no time!
  • gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    Options
    hi lurker
  • sasala1221
    Options
    I'm new, I just started the other day, But I have this recipe I got tv, Use a potabella mushroom, cut the inside out, pizza sauce, and a string cheese stick. You can have 2 of these for under 170 cal, really good also you can use flat bread.
  • BrittBrat33
    Options
    I am fairly new as well but when i click on the COMMUNITY tab it has recipes and tips and all sorts of other useful information!!! Try that maybe you will find what you are looking for?? and if you would like to help each other on this journey then i hope you add me?! CHEERS!!!! :drinker:
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Dear Asia,

It's easy if you have your mind wrapped around it... that's the key. The truth is, nothing tastes as good as belief in yourself feels. If you can trust yourself to make good decisions, your battle has already been fought and won. However, let's get real... you said it yourself... that Butterfinger is calling your name. The question is, "WHY?!?!" Why does a candy bar have a hold on you? You aren't alone out there, obviously, I've had my fair share, or I wouldn't be the weight I am...

1) Ask yourself if you are really hungry.
    While standing in front of the vending machine, ask yourself if you are indeed hungry.... If you are just focused on "finding" the right thing, you most likely aren't that hungry. If you are hungry, than you know that you need to plan ahead for that time of day. Some things I like: light string cheese, a low-fat yogurt, some cut veggies, apples, strawberries, sugar free jello, etc.... If you find yourself staring at the vending machine, sit down and take a deep breath. You are probably stressed. Sometimes a hot tea or maybe just a bottle of diet green tea will hit the spot.

2) Plan for the day.
    Plan your meals and snacks the day before, so you know what you are planning and have them on hand. You may be able to plan for splurges. I do. Sometimes I eat mostly fruit and veggie so I can have a big slice of chocolatey caramel pie! Decide what you really want... and make it happen. It feels soooo good to eat a "forbidden food" while losing weight! Maybe you can fit in half a Butterfinger!?! If you do, I guarantee, that Butterfinger, even if it's just a fourth of it, will taste better than any other time you've ever eaten it... you'll savor it slowly! You might even find yourself closing your eyes while you taste each bite. And the best part is, there is NO GUILT attached to it! Love it!

3) Take Responsibility.
    Know you are in charge and no one else can do this for you. For instance, if someone who said they'd meet you at the gym stands you up multiple times, find a new buddy to work out with. Or if someone tries to make you feel guilty for not eating or drinking the calories like they are (happens a lot at parties, or social events... "You just HAVE to try these chocolate covered potato chips!" or "This is the best Margarita I've ever had, just try it!" ) It's your journey, and crazy as it sounds, I'm enjoying today as much as I think I'll enjoy the day I reach my goal weight. I finally think I understand... I can do this.

4) Keep Track of the Days
    I have a small pad of paper, that I glued to a magnet, fixed to my fridge. On each sheet of paper, I wrote a number, a countdown to the day I will reach my goal. For instance, you have about 100 days until your goal, July 15th, right? SO you write 100 on the top sheet, 99 on the next, 98 on the next, etc... So each day you wake up, you tear off a sheet and see the amount of days left. It's been helpful to me. The days fly by, and it reminds you that you WILL get there.

5) Find An Exercise You Enjoy
    As far as exercise goes... please know that losing weight is about 90% what you eat and only about 10% how much you exercise. However, the exercise is so good for you and feels great too. If you belong to a fitness club, try one of each of their classes, don't snob any of them. You may find Zumba or Jazzercise, or a spin class to be your favorite. Classes push you much harder than you can ever push yourself. Well, at least that is the case for me. You get more bang for the buck... and it becomes a fun social activity too. Once you find what you like, you'll start to look forward to the class and seeing your friends there.

6) Use MFP daily.
    If you track your food, see the results by looking in the "reports", and read the posts every day, you won't ever get a chance to get discouraged. It's a wealth of information and so easy to use... and its free. You can't beat it!

I wish you well, Asia! Hope you reach your goal... You will if you stay focused and refocus quickly when you get off track. Note that the "refocusing" part is the reason most everyone always gains the weight back... Don't let it happen to you. Refocus quickly! Keep posting and let us know if you have any other troubles with which we may be able to help!

Jules