SEATTLE SUSHI

Jon_Rod
Jon_Rod Posts: 158
edited September 25 in Chit-Chat
Hello Everyone,

I live in Magnolia and I work in downtown Seattle.....So those people who live in seattle will know that there is a sushi spot on like every corner in downtown.

So my question is:

Would you say that sushi is ok for you if your trying to lose weight or would you try to stay far from it ?

Replies

• katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Hello Everyone,

I live in Magnolia and I work in downtown Seattle.....So those people who live in seattle will know that there is a sushi spot on like every corner in downtown.

So my question is:

Would you say that sushi is ok for you if your trying to lose weight or would you try to stay far from it ?

Depends on what you eat, california rolls and sushi (fish on rice) is pretty low in calories...if you're eating the tempura rolls or roll with lots of sauce or cream cheese, lots of cals. Soy beans are good protein and fairly low in calories...bottom line eat the real sushi or sashimi or calif rolls :)
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    I love sushi! California rolls are probably one of your best bets tho!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    I just had some last night, so I'm kind of biased. I would say it's perfectly good, especially if you stick to sashimi. If you do sushi or rolls, it's probably a bit high carb:protein ratio, at least for me. Also, lots of rolls tend to have misc things in them like mayo, cream cheese, tempura, which you may not want. Whereas with sashimi, it's pure fish, and you can control how much rice you're eating with it. Some places even have brown rice (though I haven't seen this so much in Seattle).

I think the main drawback is the sodium from the soy sauce. Go for the low sodium soy if they have it.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Nigiri sushi or sashimi are probably your best bets. Maki (Rolls) are a little higher in calories.
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    My favorite sushi place (Izumi in Kirkland) has a really nice ratio of fish to rice in their nagiri-- lots of fish relative to the rice content! I eat there with no guilt. :) I'd just try to follow the same "rules" when ordering sushi that you would follow at any restaurant. Make choices that don't involve frying or sauces of different kinds, go easy on the condiments, and eat in moderation.
This discussion has been closed.