Mexican Fooood :)

Options
Hey everyone! I have a question about Mexican Food. It's my ABSOLUTE fave!! I crave it allll the time, and hot sauce..man I could drink it w/ a straw! lol. But was wondering..I've been cutting back going there b/c of all the calories / sodium / fat..so forth..but was wondering..when I do go..is there ANYTHING on the menu that is healthy / semi-healthy?! I know eating chips & hot sauce can add up calories fast..but was wondering as far as entree's.

Thanks!!

Replies

• jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    fajitas aren't too bad for you, especially if you eat them without the tortillas
  • alliebob27
    Options
    fajitas aren't too bad for you, especially if you eat them without the tortillas

I've heard about fajitas..just wanted to make sure :).
    Do you recommend any in particular? Shrimp / Beef / Chicken..?
  • oreyna49
    oreyna49 Posts: 152
    Options
    Try to stick with your grilled meats, charro beans, corn tortillas....watch out for the heavy creams, fried (anything), chips, rice. I will usually order a Steak Ranchero...which is a piece of sirloin steak cooked with onions, bell peppers, tomato, and jalapenos. i sub the rice for charro beans and have a couple of corn tortillas with an unsweat iced tea.....Man I'm getting hungry...Bye :happy:
  • TonyaJ83
    TonyaJ83 Posts: 155
    Options
    If I go to a Mexican restaurant, I order a vegan burrito. Beans, rice, grilled veggies - AMAZING. Saving all the fat from the cheese & dead animal! Love me some veggie burritos! I make them at home, too......I also love vegan fajitas! All I need is the grilled veggies, pico de gallo, sometimes avocado slices, rice & beans. Awesome!!
  • han182
    han182 Posts: 82
    Options
    I have chicken fajitas packed with peppers, onions and as many other veggies as I can chuck in there! Low fat sour cream or salsa and you've got yourself a lush meal!!
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Chimichangas are bad :sad:

Fajitas sans tortillas are not bad. Taco salads are not bad, especially if you can avoid the shells. Many Mexican restaurants serve shrimp, which is not too bad. Also, look for steamed or grilled vegetables on the menu, sometimes you can sub those for the beans/rice that come with everything.
  • abeesinger
    abeesinger Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ninfa's has Turkey Fajitas which are really tasty and pretty healthy. I often get a chicken fajita taco salad without the fried tortilla shell. Also instead of sour cream or salad dressing I get a side of guacamole and use it for the dressing with some pico de gallo. (careful though that can be spicy) It is my absolute favorite!
  • ricnrac
    ricnrac Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I order the chicken taco salad without the shell and usually ask for the sour cream on the side. I LOVE MEXICAN TOO! I could eat it everyday! CHIPS AND CHEESE DIP ARE MY WEAKNESS!
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I go for seafood fajitas (or chicken), with only a couple soft corn tortillas (not flour). If I can't do that, chicken soft tacos.
  • alliebob27
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the helpful advice!! It's SO hard to go there and try to be good LOL. I just LOVE Mexican Food sooo much haha. My weakness is chips & salsa..argh!

So I think I have a idea of what I'm going to order..and sorry for those of you who I made hungry :P
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Some of the Mexican restaurants will make a salad with spiced chicken or fajita meat if you request it.