how much water?

Options
It says you should drink 8 cups of water a day. Normally, now lately, I have been drinking 12-15.

IS THAT BAD FOR YOUR BODY!?

Replies

• alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Drinking too much water could be bad. I've read many places that you should take your weight, divide that by two and that is how many ounces you should be drinking. However, if you are exercising you should drink more than the recommended.
  • jennro7781
    jennro7781 Posts: 208
    Options
    If you look up water intoxication on wikipedia, it will tell you all you need to know. Unless you are a marathon runner there isn't a danger of drinking too much.
  • en4cerd43
    en4cerd43 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Too much water would be around 3 gallons. You're well within reasonable, especially with regular exercise. Remember, 8 cups is only one half gallon.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I think you're fine drinking what you are now, but if you get uncomfortable, you can back off a bit.

Hyponatremia (loss of sodium in the body through sweat or overconsumption of water) is very serious. We cannot live without a certain level of sodium in the body.

So, say you're drinking a lot of water, that plus exercising and sweating a lot, and you're aiming for low sodium (under 1,000 mg a day, for instance), then it could be a problem. People other than marathon runners can indeed have this problem. Long distance runners, for instance, or anyone sweating excessively for a long period of time.
  • yeaah
    yeaah Posts: 34
    Options
    I never really eat much sodium....crap.