sushi lovers

Options
ladybb7
ladybb7 Posts: 134 Member
Does anyone seem shocked by the calorie count of basic maki (salmon, tuna, yam)- about 130-160 for 6 pieces based on the database..... It seems too good to be true... thoughts?

Replies

• faerybun
    faerybun Posts: 65
    Options
    it's very fresh and healthy food! enjoy [:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have only looked up the counts for Yo Sushi, and they all seem shockingly high. I thought sushi was a healthy option, but I can easily eat 1000 cals in one meal out, and not feel full, and then have to starve myself for the rest of the day.
  • OpalFruitJam
    OpalFruitJam Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    It's usually quite healthy as long as you aren't coating it in soy and salt etc. If you want to get a basic idea of the calories of sushi etc, take a look at the Yo Sushi nutritional menus.... here (hopefully this link works)

http://www.yosushi.com/static/downloads/YO!NutritionalBooklet.pdf
  • Brittney24
    Brittney24 Posts: 105
    Options
    I know, when I wanted sushi for my birthday I calculated what I was going to eat beforehand and it was like 1200 calories. And I was barely even full, I couldn't believe it.

I worked out 1000 extra calories that day just to be able to eat it haha!
  • Maureen80
    Maureen80 Posts: 10
    Options
    Wow!! thats amazing, I LOVE sushi..sorry what is YO sushi? and why is it higher in calories?
  • Tamstar1985
    Tamstar1985 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    i think sushi is pretty healthy, as long as you're not getting those americanized cream cheesy or mayonnaise-y or deep-fried messes :P but if you're looking to lower calories, try sashimi... it's waaaayyyy more delicious, imo! ob course, raw seafood isn't suited to everyone's taste, but if you've never eaten it, try sometime~~
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Mmmm....sushi. Topped with wasabi and Sriracha.
  • Brittney24
    Brittney24 Posts: 105
    Options
    Looking at that pdf only made me crave sushi even more! Haha!
  • skinnyjeans13
    Options
    I went for sushi last week, put it in MFP and almost died... worked my *kitten* off afterwards to balance out my calories! I could NOT believe it!
  • ladybb7
    Options
    For anyone that has eaten at YO sushi how big are the pieces? estimation wise anyways...
  • fteale
    Options
    The vegetable ones I have are about an inch across, and the same high. Six on a plate. The fish ones are more like 2 inches across and an inch high, and come 2 on a plate.
  • ladybb7
    Options
    i think sushi is pretty healthy, as long as you're not getting those americanized cream cheesy or mayonnaise-y or deep-fried messes :P but if you're looking to lower calories, try sashimi... it's waaaayyyy more delicious, imo! ob course, raw seafood isn't suited to everyone's taste, but if you've never eaten it, try sometime~~

Ya since being on MFP I have only been eating plain salmon maki or plain avocado maki.... I've tried to cut out any deep fried rolls
  • Maureen80
    Maureen80 Posts: 10
    Options
    ok i just looked it up we dont have it ( YO sushi) here in NZ but it doesnt seem that high for the Maki? it doesnt say if that is the calorie amount for the pictured plate of food, or for just one roll. i would assume the plate which is four pieces of maki, is what has been calculated.
    im not worried anyways.....i have it maybe once a fortnight and LOVE it so never giving that up no matter what the calories are :)
  • ladybb7
    Options
    The vegetable ones I have are about an inch across, and the same high. Six on a plate. The fish ones are more like 2 inches across and an inch high, and come 2 on a plate.

Thanks, :)
  • fteale
    Options

Thanks, :)

Sorry, the little ones are 4 on a plate, not 6. Brain elsewhere.......
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I love sushi! If you're trying to avoid the rice, definitely go for the sashimi. I can taste the salmon now :heart:
  • get_it_gone2012
    Options
    Nope. sushi is the most amazing food known to man (okay, I may be exaggerating a little bit).
    But my friends and I definitely switched from burger night to sushi night... and now we can eat more with a tonne less cals!
    'Tis amazing!!! :smile:
  • get_it_gone2012
    Options
    Wow, I just read some posts where people are saying that they're eating mass amounts of cals through sushi, and they're not even getting full!
    When I go I usually get an Alaska Roll (6 pieces, 304 cals) and like half a california roll (I think it's 3 pieces around 150 cals?) and about a cup of edamame and I'm stuffed!
    I think the rice does it for me, I'm good after 9 pieces!!! What kinds of sushi are the rest of you eating?
  • faerybun
    faerybun Posts: 65
    Options
    Wow, I just read some posts where people are saying that they're eating mass amounts of cals through sushi, and they're not even getting full!
    When I go I usually get an Alaska Roll (6 pieces, 304 cals) and like half a california roll (I think it's 3 pieces around 150 cals?) and about a cup of edamame and I'm stuffed!
    I think the rice does it for me, I'm good after 9 pieces!!! What kinds of sushi are the rest of you eating?

Oh yum, girl, Alaska Roll is my FAAAVORITE! I usually order that and just a simple rice and salmon in nori and eat about 9 pieces, I'm definitely SHOVING those last two in, though. Mmm! Then I'm full for the rest of the week [;

I do wonder what on earth types of sushi leave ya'll hungry, though.

Main thing is, as someone mentioned earlier, stay away from the philly roll, and anything deep fried or 'tempura', it'll kill ya!

Wasabi is known to increase metabolism, and so is that lovely green tea they always serve. [;

(Miso soup is also very low in calories!)
  • a_reyes9288
    Options
    I usually load up on edamame and ginger salad before I eat any sushi and once I finish and order sushi I just order one roll and I'm full!!

The fill up on edamame and ginger salad is great cuz its healthy and low cal! And drink lots of water that's what I do!