Bread! I need bread!!

Options
MrsCon40
MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
I am finding it difficult to live without bread. Sandwiches are my favorite!

I am vegan and eat more vegetables than probably anyone here, and eat pretty darn clean (with the exception of the occasional trip to Taco Bell :tongue: ) I eat very little in terms of non-whole foods. I have even been cooking my own beans!

I recently vowed to cut back on all non-actual whole grains (ie: anything processed) but I am wondering if it is worth it? Or are there other lower-carb alternatives to bread?

I am usually hitting all my nutritional requirements well before I hit my caloric max... should I just indulge? ACK! I am trying to break through this plateau and thought lowering my carbs might help.

(Sorry this is so rambly... I need a sandwich! LOL)

Replies

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    If you are really craving bread then eat it in moderation or you will eventually binge. Just eat 100% whole grain breads, pitas, english muffins or tortillas.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    If you are really craving bread then eat it in moderation or you will eventually binge. Just eat 100% whole grain breads, pitas, english muffins or tortillas.

I was raised on whole grain breads and don't think I've had white bread since I was a really little kid (it's gross!)

I just don't think I can reconcile low carb with vegan. Hmph
  • MeaganAnn84
    Options
    White bread = yuck. I agree! What about a sammich every other day?
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    nope i hate white bread too lol I noticed since gradually switching myself to a vegetarian diet my carbs have gone way up
  • ladybb7
    ladybb7 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Country Harvest Vitality has a whole grain, no sugar no fat added option. It's only 90 cal a slice :) I don't know if it's considered Vegan or not though
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I think there's no harm in having a little bread if you crave it. But I find oatcakes (the hard, dry, unsweetened type) a good alternative. You could also try Ryvita biscuits and Vita Weats. Or perhaps a bowl of (unsweetened) cereal would fill the craving? (Wheat Bix, bran flakes, oats). Or have bread, but make it country grain bread or dark rye bread instead of high GI white bread?
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    I gave up on regular sliced bread. I only eat it for breakfast with my eggs. But even at that it's Sara Lee low carb wheat bread. I moved to Pitas and to low carb tortillas. I also pretty much gave up potatoes and I think I might have rice on the weekends for work. As a Diabetic this has helped me lower my numbers quite a lot. And I don't miss it.
  • djarce
    djarce Posts: 1
    Options
    I found this bread in my local grocery store....It was really delicious, and the following ( if it comes out as copied from their website) will give you the information you may need.

SARA LEE® DELIGHTFUL™ 100% MULTI-GRAIN BREAD

NUTRITION FACTS

Serving Size: 2 slices (44g)

Amount per Serving:

* Calories 90
    * Calories from Fat 9

% Daily Value *

Total Fat 1g

2%

Saturated Fat 0g

0%

Trans Fat 0g

Polyunsaturated Fat 0g

Monounsaturated Fat 0g

Cholesterol 0mg

0%

Sodium 160mg

7%

Total Carbohydrate 18g

6%

Dietary Fiber 5g

18%

Sugars 2g

Protein 6g

% Daily Value *

Vitamin A

0%

Vitamin C

0%

Calcium

8%

Iron

8%

Thiamin

10%

Riboflavin

4%

Niacin

8%

Folic Acid

6%

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Calories per gram:

* Fat 9
    * Carbohydrate 4
    * Protein 4
  • theresaaugello
    Options
    You can be in control of the bread that you eat my making your own...

My mom's bf is allergic to gluten and she makes his. It's super easy if you get a bread maker and you can find recipes everywhere.
  • beccafertig
    beccafertig Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am finding it difficult to live without bread. Sandwiches are my favorite!

I am vegan and eat more vegetables than probably anyone here, and eat pretty darn clean (with the exception of the occasional trip to Taco Bell :tongue: ) I eat very little in terms of non-whole foods. I have even been cooking my own beans!

I recently vowed to cut back on all non-actual whole grains (ie: anything processed) but I am wondering if it is worth it? Or are there other lower-carb alternatives to bread?

I am usually hitting all my nutritional requirements well before I hit my caloric max... should I just indulge? ACK! I am trying to break through this plateau and thought lowering my carbs might help.

(Sorry this is so rambly... I need a sandwich! LOL)

Have you tried the "Ezekiel" breads from Food for Life? They are a bit expensive at about $5.00 a loaf, but they are as whole grain as you can get. Made from 100% sprouted grains, flour free, yeast free (I think). I just love them!
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options

My mom's bf is allergic to gluten and she makes his. It's super easy if you get a bread maker and you can find recipes everywhere.
    I just got a breadmaker and I love it!!!
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    So eat bread. I'm sure you have your reasons for being vegan and for choosing a low carb diet, but that's not a combination I could sustain for long.
  • susioryan
    susioryan Posts: 180
    Options
    Make bread! Get the book Healthy Bread in 5 minutes a day and make a loaf every other day and feeze. You know what is in it and what the heck-why not!
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options

i so second that. i've started baking, and never looked back