Struggling to lose the first few Kilos

Options
Hello all,

So i have recently signed up to my fitness pal. The calorie counter is excellent! Dinners that i once thought were healthy options to cook, now turns out are not!

So it will be 3 weeks this Friday when i 'weigh in'. I started on 62kg and on my first weigh in i went down to 61.2kg (my goal is 58kg).
I was feeling happy with how i was exercising and eating under my goal - but on my 2nd weigh in i pulled 61.3 kg and my tracking of exercise and eating was better than my original entries.
In two more days i will weigh in for the 3rd time and i will be so disheartned if im over 61.3kg's.

Does any body have any advice? or any reasons why this is happening?
Before i signed up to my fitness pal i was keeping a diary of my food and exercise and i was very slowly losing weight but never gained.

i dont wish to be super skinny and my weight goal isnt very drastic.

Am i being unrealistic?

Any advice or comment is welcome :)

Replies

• sirphilipe
    sirphilipe Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi and Welcome!

2 things.
    1) Be careful with the exercise calories in MFP. Sometimes they are way out. Best option is investing in a heart rate monitor. It gives accurate calories based on your age, gender, weight and your heart rate.

2) Because you are exercising you will be building some muscle, this weighs more than fat. so even though you are healthier, on the scales you might become a little heavier.

So another way to gauge how you are doing is to measure yourself. Neck, waist and hips. you might find your are heavier, but are thinner.

the Supper Fit Zuzzana from Bodyrock.TV did a video and weighed herself and found she had put on 3kgs. however she is about 5% body fat, and it was infact all muscle.

Also eventually your weight will start going down. I am in the same boat but with a lot more to lose than you. Keep at it. you can do it!
  • 85specialk
    Options
    oh i'm in the same boat as you are.. I want to lose 9 kgs, but I'm not really overweight, i'm pretty much in the "normal" weight range. I'm losing to feel comfortable and confident in my own skin.

Anyways, I have definitely had this happen! I have been on here once before, and then took a several months break, and started back here about a little over a month ago. Both times, I've had a hard time losing! I keep weighing in at the same weight, and sometimes even above. I've been good at exercising and sticking to my calorie limit, but still very small results! I haven't weighed for 2 weeks now, but I finally feel like a can kinda see and feel a small difference (nobody else would notice i suspect, considering I examine my body for slight differences, and only I can feel how my clothes fit). I won't know for sure if I'm right until I weigh on friday though. Here's hoping!

Anyways, what I've been doing a little differently these last few weeks, is cut out all soft drinks (I would only every drink diet coke, knowing it wasn't good for me, but yet I didn't know it would hinder weightloss until I read it in a forum on mfp), and drink heappssss more water! I think it's having an effect :) I've also been experimenting with varying my calorie intake throughout the week. Sometimes I'll stick to my 1200 calorie intake, other times I'll change it and eat 200 more calories a day. I don't know if this helps, but I've heard that you can boost your metabolism by "keeping it guessing". Also, drink green tea! It's great for your metabolism!
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Another person here who is struggling to lose weight! I have 14lbs to lose to fit comfortably in my clothes again and would LOVE to lost 21lbs just because!!

I've hurt my back so haven't done any exercise other than walking the dogs for an hour a day over the past week and although I never lost anything when I was doing that plus 3 x running 1 x circuits 1 x zumba, at least I haven't put anything on!

One thing I have noticed is that although my weigh in time is first thing in the morning for convenience, it isn't always my lightest time! Sometimes I weigh more in the morning than I did the previous night just before I got into bed. Sometimes I weigh less at lunchtime than first thing that morning. I don't spend all day weighing myself but did weigh myself 3 x per day for one week and it was a real eye opener. Now I'm not so fixated on the scales and so long as I keep to my calorie allowance and do the exercise I have to beleive the fat will go eventuallY!

It IS disheartening but you just have to keep in mind the alternative if you don't try!

B x
  • SRM88
    SRM88 Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks guys! All the reply post have helped me a great deal!

i shall start measuring my body as i feel i can see a bit of a change on my tummy.

And i also agree , it is better than not making a change at all.

Thank you all again! i feel much better!