Which is healthier?

Options
I've heard that losing weight and gaining weight fast, or even in general, is almost as unhealthy as "just" being overweight. I've heard that being pregnant and being overweight can cause complication and even be dangerous to mom and baby...

I'm overweight (even obese, as my BMI states - I'm 5'1 and 162 Ibs, but I'd like to call myself voluptuous -not obese) and am getting to the point in my life and marriage where babies are a-callin'.

My question: Is it better to lose the 30 some pounds to get to a more "ideal" weight for my height and age (27) even if it can take upwards of a year if done slowly and consistently and then put on a lot of weight again because of being pregnant, or should I worry about losing weight only AFTER getting pregnant and having a baby? I am asking my peers for advice based on experience and knowledge, I will look for an expert advice too, but wanted to hear your thoughts! Thanks losers! (I really couldn't resist!!!):flowerforyou:

Replies

• MissKeeKee
    MissKeeKee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose mine and be healthy before I have another baby so that my body will be healthier for the baby. :)
  • funauntsherry
    funauntsherry Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I think an ideal weight is healthier (and I'm trying to reach mine) and I've read that it can be harder for overweight women to conceive.

I think it would be best to start living a healthier lifestyle and get into shape while preparing to become a mother. It's best to start living like you're pregnant at least 3 months prior to conception, at least this is what I've read.

Don't focus so hard on the pounds and just start changing eating and exercising habits :)
  • avoisinet
    avoisinet Posts: 14
    Options
    It's never too late or too early to be healthy...exercise and keep a healthy weight for your height. I say, go for losing it at a pace that works for you and start a new lifestyle. This will help tremendously when you are trying to loose baby weight. Good luck!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Start a new lifestyle that incorporates portion control and good decisions for food. Start an exercise routine. And get down and dirty and try to make that baby. Few reasons to avoid doing both at once, but for now, I say go for it. :)
  • ashleyh3156
    ashleyh3156 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Ideally trying to eat healthy during pregnancy is best, but chinese calls, as well as ice cream, and chips and the list goes on. I would lose weight before pregnancy, it's a lot harder taking it off when you have a child on your hip, plenty of people make time, but I wasn't able to shed the weight until I stopped breastfeeding after my daughter turned 1. If I would have been 30lbs lighter, it would have been a easier journey. Ideally I would try to be proper weight!
  • lemanda
    lemanda Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    As someone who was about 30 pounds overweight when I became pregnant with my second, I would recommend losing as much as is safe and possible for you before you get pregnant. It is better to lose 30 pounds, then gain 30-40 with a pregnancy, then to be 30 pounds heavier, gain 30-40 lbs, then try to lose baby weight PLUS more. Trust me! I know! So I would encourage you to start now and see how far you can get before you become pregnant. You'll feel better about yourself as your pregnancy progresses too when you dont have extra fat to be carrying around. It is also good to be active throughout your pregnancy. But those are just things I have learned from my own experiences. Do what works for you and discuss it with your doctor.
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Start changing your lifestyle now and it will be much much easier when you are pregnant and after you have had your baby.
    Get the good food habits going and find some exercise that you enjoy.
    Being pregnant does not mean you get a free ticket to eat whatever you like and the more weight you carry the more chances you have to get gestational diabetes or other nasty health issues, and trust me the first year after birth is a blur. Its bloody hard to get motivated to do anything when you are surviving on only a couple of hours sleep in a row.
    Start as you wish to continue. Do it sensibly, learn about nutrition and calories and fitness. Get healthy.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I agree with previous posters. Losing weight doesn't need to be a priority. Work on being healthy, eat better and workout. Rapid weight loss just to get into an "ideal" range is not good for you. But being in a healthy range is good for your future baby. Yes, try to get there, but more importantly, just be healthy.
  • partcho
    partcho Posts: 225
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone, I really appreciate it. I am definitely getting healthier everyday. I'm eating better and am getting more exercise everyday (an hour a day) than I ever used to. I've been at it since December a little bit on and off and haven't seen loss in pounds but am feeling stronger and I have more energy. Getting healthy is my number one thing.