I have a problem.....

Options
I work out hard 6 days a week. Usually twice two days per week. I do kickboxing, weight class, spin, weight training.....
Here's the problem (don't laugh)..... I can't do 1 normal sit up!!!!! What is wrong with me. I can run, jump, and fly but can't do 1 sit up?????????
I'm actually laughing about it on the outside but truly confused on the inside.
How do you "learn" how to do a sit up. I try but go nowhere. I can do crunches like the best of them.

Anyway, if anyone has any advice I would take it. My husband just laughs and says "I don't know how to teach a sit up, you just "sit up"

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    You need to strengthen your core ;) I have the same problem.
    You should try having someone sit on your feet to keep them stationary as you do the sit up
    or lock them under the couch, etc.
    it helps make it easier :)
    also, if you're still having trouble. Keep your arms out straight infront of you and use them as leverage to pull you up!
  • hamsmash
    hamsmash Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Lay on your back, bend your knees. have your SO stand on your feet. cross your arms across your chest then sit up to your knees. and that is a sit up.
  • seadog1
    seadog1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Bend your knees, put your feet flat on the floor and lift your head and as much of your body as possible, dont worry about sitting all the way up for couple weeks. If you have to put your feet under the edge of the chair or couch if your top heavy.
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Try thinking about pulling your belly button toward your spine. Lay flat with your legs outstretched and straighten your arms over your head. Squeeze your abs and swing your arms toward your feet! Good luck!
  • dg58570
    dg58570 Posts: 5
    Options
    Well, everyone has their limits. I think you are way ahead of the game with your other activites. If you are doing crunches, isn't that accomplishing what you are looking for in a sit up? I was told once by a fitness expert that a full sit up isn't necessary and sometimes too hard on your back. Just stick with what you are doing and forget the sit up. I wish I could say I am doing as much as you are already doing.
  • Rockstar_rabbit
    Options
    I have never heard of this. Honestly I always have to remind myself to support my neck so it doesn't hurt. I cannot do push ups neither so don't feel bad. try asking a trainer for help. I love Exercise Tv. Maybe ask a trainer there. http://www.exercisetv.tv
    Good Luck!
  • tarynsawesome
    Options
    I agree with the whole "keep your feet stationary" thing, however, situps are really not that good for your back. Studies show that crunches are better for your body than situps. :)
  • NoelleW
    NoelleW Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    HA! I had to relearn situps after an injury and I could only do them at first with assistance (like a yoga band or a helpful friend) and by lowering with control from the top down. After a few weeks of working every day I could finally, with assistance, make my way up.

Good luck!!!!
  • geekface123
    Options
    Def. agree with having some one or something to hold your feet in place. If your couch is low enough you can try using that. I put my feet under the couch and do them. But if your feet are not stationary then it will def going to be hard. Also try dif. variations like v-ups. Good luck! And don't give up :D
  • HilarieXcore
    HilarieXcore Posts: 214 Member
    Options
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    try putting your feet under something solid, like a couch or a chair, and come all the way up..i cant do crunches OR situps without putting my feet under the couch..best of luck :D
  • lperezlopes
    Options
    You are not alone!!! I have NEVER been able to, I actually remember being in PE as a child frusturated because I couldn't do it. Like you I work out 5-6 times a week. I talked to the health director at my gym and he said not to worry about it. He said it is totally fine to hook your feet under something or have someone hold your feet down for you, he also swears that over time as you strengthen your core you'll eventually be able to do them ... I am not convinced on that yet. He also told me that I am still getting a good workout if I have my feet hooked. Hope this helps and I have to say I feel SO much better knowing I am not alone in this. :)
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I can't do a pull-up. Not even a pull-up with an assistance bar with the weight stacked in my favor as high as it'll go. I still have to cheat and jump a little, then finish the pull-off once I'm halfway up.

I can do a sit up, however. Go figure.

We all have limitations and things we're going to struggle with.
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have tried using the couch and I just go nowhere.
    I do have a very bad back so maybe it's my body saying to just stick with crunches.

Debbie
    71 lbs down, 80 to go
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Full sit-ups aren't great for your back, and crunches are just as good for ab strength without the injury risk. Even the 200 sit-up challenge website linked above says that you should do crunches and not sit-ups. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Continue doing crunches, add in some planks and other core exercises, and call it good.
  • sdirbder
    sdirbder Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    You could also start with something other than sit ups that will strengthen your core. Plank or different pilates moves.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Well please tell me then??? I thought crunches and sit-ups were the same? Whats the difference, I do them when I do
    30 Day Shred, what are they called?
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    You can work on strengthening your muscles by doing situps while lying across a large balance ball, which gives you a bit of spring, or I learned in one of my classes that if you hold a weighted ball or dumbbell in your hands while their stretched over head, that weight gives you just a little bit of extra momentum to help you pull yourself into position while you strengthen your core.
    I've had three abdominal surgeries over the years and situps and crunches are very hard for me to do otherwise, but these maneuvers have helped a lot.
  • VRoseDuda
    VRoseDuda Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If you have a weak back, it can be as big of a problem. Your muscles have a positive and negative ...quads--hamstrings, biceps--triceps etc. This is why a lot of people with poor posture don't have bad backs, they have weak stomach muscles which aren't supporting their core.
    When you work on the sit-up, try also laying on your belly and arching your back to bring your shoulders up. This should help improve your erector spinae muscles (sp) and counter your abs.
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I also do 30ds. They are crunches. With sit ups, you come all the way up to a sitting position.