How can i properly measure this recipe?

Options
I am making tonight the fiesta chicken in the crockpot for tomorrow's dinner.

I am doing 3 chicken breasts
1 cup jarred salsa
3/4 packet of ortega low sodium taco seasoning
1 cup of frozen corn
1 can of 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup

And i may add a little fat free sour cream.

My question is when i have dinner tomorrow and try to log it how can i properly do it when i poured the salsa, cream of mushroom, taco seasoning, and frozen corn all over 3 pieces i obviously don't know how much is on each? Any advice? Also is one serving a little bit of the sauce and 1 chicken breast over rice or something?

Replies

• ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    take out the meat and divide sauce left by 3.. would be my approach (assuming one breast per person) *S*
  • Anbiv
    Anbiv Posts: 2
    Options
    Add all the calories together for all your ingredients, and then divide them by the number of portions. :)
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Just add all the calories up for the whole thing and divide by the number of servings.
  • frdw
    frdw Posts: 8
    Options
    Try putting it in to the recipe option on here. It will then give you at least the basic calories per serving, of everything you included in the recipe. I use it all the time and really like it. It also saves the recipes for you so that you can just plug them into your diary any time you make it.
    Search for the recipe option under "food"

Hope that helps. Your recipe sounds really delicious, hope it turns out well.
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    If you enter that entire recipe, and save it with a name that makes sense to you, you'll be able to indicate that the recipe serves 3 and that you're having 1 serving. You'll have to eyeball the sauce and try to have a third of what is available, but if you're going to eventually eat all three pieces anyway, that will even itself out. Hope that helps.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Add all the calories together for all your ingredients, and then divide them by the number of portions. :)

Yep. Also, plug everything into the recipe calculator on here/ Works wonders.
  • misty92
    misty92 Posts: 10
    Options
    Did you try using the recipe tab on here? I did a couple of things and you at least get a better idea of how many calories are in a serving.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Use the tools here in MyFitnessPal....

Under the food tab is a recipe button. Click it... click create new recipe. Enter your ingredients. Tell it how many servings you'll get... for your indicated recipe would that be 3 or 6 servings? Once all the ingredients are entered and you've told it how many servings it makes it splits the calories and nutrients evenly between each of the servings so if you have one it enters the values from 1 serving.
  • daydreamer_28
    daydreamer_28 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    When I am doing my recipe's I take the total of the ingredients, add it together and divide by three, I do it the same with calories. This tells me how many ounces or grams one serving of the sauce would be and how many calories are in it. I count my chicken and rice separate. If you need an example let me know. :smile:
  • lovinmamaxo
    lovinmamaxo Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    When I am doing my recipe's I take the total of the ingredients, add it together and divide by three, I do it the same with calories. This tells me how many ounces or grams one serving of the sauce would be and how many calories are in it. I count my chicken and rice separate. If you need an example let me know. :smile:

Would love one i usually do salad or something i can pre-measure... LOL just started a week ago today.