Quick Snack Ideas

Options
I want to know, what are some of your favorite quick snack ideas?

I work at a grocery store and only have a 15 minute break during my shifts (usually around 6 hours). I try to eat something small right before my shift starts and then again during my break (usually counts as either lunch or supper for me), but I am looking for some new snack ideas that won't take that long to make and eat. Right now, I switch between Greek yogurt, string cheese, and granola bars. I have access to a microwave, so ideas for heated snacks (that don't take long) would be great too.

Replies

• Rebjones612
    Rebjones612 Posts: 408
    Options
    Fresh fruit is always a good choice.
    Sometimes I do a Special K bar.
    Yogurt and grapes.
  • Leela30
    Leela30 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I always opt for apples, they are juicy refreshing, and a great source of natural engergy
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I buy a big bag of almonds (blue diamond) and put some in a ziplock baggie and take them with me.
  • Leela30
    Leela30 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I always opt for apples, they are juicy refreshing, and a great source of natural energy
  • MidniteDayDream
    MidniteDayDream Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    If I'm feeling the craving for something sweet and not so good for me, I grab some frozen fruit and eat that. It's fruit so it's good for you, plus it's sweet, and it's frozen so you're, in a way, tricking your mind/body into thinking that you're eating some kind of dessert.
  • nmp1994
    nmp1994 Posts: 96
    Options
    I always have a variety of snacks prepacked in baggies...i'm a SAHM, and we're out & about a lot! I find myself snacking in the car often. My snacks include---baby carrots, pea pods, cut up bell peppers, apples, walnuts or almonds, small tuna packs, laughing cow cheese...GOOD LUCK!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I buy a big bag of almonds (blue diamond) and put some in a ziplock baggie and take them with me.

Or just buy the 100 calorie packs if you can't "be trusted" (like me!!! I love me some almonds).

A 0% plain greek yogurt is also a nice choice.
  • marspec1maven
    Options
    I take stuff easily prepped at home. I use those reusable (Ziplok or sliced lunchmeat) containers so that if I leave it somewhere Im not distressed. I cut up celery sticks. They keep well. I also put in Manns sugar snap stringless peas. Sliced red bell pepper strips are a nice color compliment and they are sweet. I dip them into Marzettis Otria yogurt dip. That is 60 calories for 2 Tbs. I also like Laughing Cow light cheese wedges. They don't require refrigeration. 35 calories. I spread that on a rice cake or a Wasa crispbread. You get crunchiness, fiber and some flavor. Good luck.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    oatmeal with fruit, oatmeal with protein?
  • daydreamer_28
    daydreamer_28 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    What about a salad with cut up chicken, or a sandwich, cut up veggies, pb and honey sandwich, apple and cheese, popcorn with some nuts, protein bar-I like the Think Thin bars, almonds,

Here is a website I found full of great ideas. I'm not diabetic, but they are great ideas. http://diabetes.about.com/od/nutrition/tp/Easyhealthysnacks.htm
  • jenniferlspies
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas guys! I'll have to raid the cupboards and see what I can pull together for when I work on Friday!