Protein HELP!!!

Options
Protein HELP!!! I was wondering if anyone else out there has a problem with Whey Protein. I had been drinking it in the mornings after my workouts but I think the whey is making me sick as I can not really digest milk products or forms of milk (lactose intolerance)....anyway. I know I need protein...I also dont always like to eat meat (just gets on my nerves)....AND....when I drink soy protein my sugars are too high....so whats a girl to do??? I saw on Body Fuel this morning that I am tearing down my muscles without enough protein, but where can I get it from if I cant drink the whey protein or the soy protein and I dont like to eat meat everyday and I am lactose intolerant....hopefully I dont sound like a nut.....sorry if I do:)) Any advice would help:)) oh and by the way.....I am allergic to eggs....I know....I know....gee wiz!!!:smile:

Replies

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    You can get unsweetened soy milk. Do you know if you are allergic to the whole egg, maybe just egg whites are ok? Do you not eat all meats? Poultry, fish too?
    Nuts
    Beans
    Legumes
  • kms1981
    kms1981 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I mix mine with Almond milk, unsweetened.
  • triinityz
    triinityz Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    It's funny because I'm having the same problems. I'm a veg but you can only eat so much tofu and beans. I bought this stuff called Vega, it's got 11 g of protien and 100 cals in one serving with zero sugar and it says to mix it in water so no worries on the dairy. It's kind of expensive but worth it I think.
  • jllipson
    jllipson Posts: 646
    Options
    You might not be a nut, but you can eat nuts (I hope) :tongue:

Try almonds (I think that's what I heard was highest...) and try eating peanut butter on toast or bread, or just plain or on celery.

Also fish, chicken and pork are protein sources too.

Good luck
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    can of tuna, protein bar, there are soy proteins powders, nuts, eggs, cheese.
  • snowflakelaia
    Options
    If you like almonds try Almond Milk. It's more natural and it is not chemically processed as soymilk is. Go for the plain, natural that already has 7gr of sugar, or the unsweetened one. I can taste the almonds so it's still a bit sweet.

Vanilla flavored one has way too much sugar in it, you'll do better adding some fruit to the shake.

hardboiled eggs, chicken, turkey... plenty of protein sources!! ^_^
  • SweetBeth
    SweetBeth Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Ok...this is a tough one. The best source of protein is of course meat. You can get it in other items, nuts and seeds are a great place to start, but with the other items you're gonna find more fat and often carbs as well. The leanest way is with meat. Perhaps there is one meat you can cook in bulk at the beginning of the week. Baking Chicken would probably be easiest. Then just add it to meals through out the week in smaller portions so that you don't feel like you're just eating the meat. Make spaghetti into chicken spaghetti. Fish is LOADED with protein. Tuna and salmon are great options. And both can be used in lots of recipes that might not feel so meaty: salmon patties, tuna salad, etc...

Good luck!
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I do eat meat.....I just cant stand to have to eat so much of it to get my protein in....it gets to the point where it makes me want to vomit....A friend of mine told me to have my blood type checked bc she is an A blood type, which she says tends to crave plant foods....that's me!!! I will eat meat....I just only want maybe a day or two of it...if that....the only reason I am eating so much of it is because I know I need the protein....

also, I am pretty sure I am allergic to the whole egg...my stomach hurts really bad if I eat any part of it....dont know why:))
  • dixiechicdana
    Options
    Beans...great source
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    No I don;t have the problem but the powder can be mixed in just about anything and/or sprinkled on things like oatmeal, cereal, yogurt, just another way to get the protein without having shakes.
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice:)) I am going to try the almond milk and see if doing chicken 2x a week will be okay. I eat lots of almonds and rice and beans. I will also get the unsweetened protein powder (didnt think of that---thank you!!). The fish for me is a good idea, though I have been told that I only should eat it 2x a week. thanks again!!!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Alpro unsweetened is the best!
  • pchann
    pchann Posts: 84
    Options
    Mix your protein powder with water.
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    My surgeon and dietitian recommended a medical Whey Protein called UNJURY. It is fabulous!!!!!!!!! I have added it to soup, sugar free jello, made milkshakes, and so much more. Each scoop of powder contains 20 grams of portein. I look forward to my nighly milkshake....skim milk, a scoop of either Strawberry or Chocolate UNJURY, a few frozen berries and 3-4 ice cubes....and my blender...and it is heavenly. The powder comes in 5 flavors and is available in containers and individual packets which are perfect to take to work. One way that I get my water and protein in is to add a packet of sugar free lemonade to a 16 oz bottle of water then add a packet or scoop of the Strawberry and it is strawberry lemonade and is so refreshing. You can only get it online and the website is www.UNJURY.com
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    +1 almond milk; have you tried greek yogurt to see if that affects you too?
  • bs_price
    bs_price Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    not sure if this will help not sure about the lactose content but look up beverly international products they have a ultimate muscle protein? shake u mix with water it tastes really good kinda like yoohoo and there is either no sugar or like 1 gram it's kinda pricey like 35 dollars for a big container but it lasts a while also look into a detour bar low in sugar 6 grams and has like 15 grams of protein doesn't taste too bad either they sell them at sams and i believe costco