I purchased a Pedometer and need advise.

Options
So, this is a great devise it tells me how many steps I have taken and how many miles I have walked. How do I convert that information into calories burned? For example, so far today I have walked 6547 steps and 3.09 miles.

Replies

• MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown that net calories burned for walking is about 50 calories per mile.

But what you put into MFP depends on what you set your activity level too. If you set it to anything other than sedentary, then you've already accounted for some of that walking in your base calories.
  • MargieNgainesville
    Options
    Hello. I love my pedometer. For me a mile is 2,200 steps. All of these things are rough. You are looking for movement. Progress not perfection. Walk for 1/2 or 1 mile. Whatever you can do at the pace that walk when you are walking for exercise. See how much time went by and how many steps. Unless you are really picking them up and putting them down (3.5 miles per hr, brisk walk), most people are going to be doing around 3 (20 mins per mile) especially if it is new. Some more, some less... so many variables.. just like people.

For me. I only count the steps that I do in 15 or more mins of walking to burn calories. And I try to do that several times a day. The steps I get doing normal activities, I track for self as I try to get a min of 10,000 with a stretch goal of 15,000 steps per day. Did not start there. It is where I am now. If I do 90 mins of on purpose to burn walking. that is 4.5 miles or 9,900 steps. That is what I did today. 90 mins at 3.0 miles per hr that I will count. However, I have 13,960 steps on my pedometer at this moment.

Hope that helps. You are welcome to add me as a friend. The best thing the pedometer does is it Motivates you to MOVE.

Good Luck!
  • ashleyplus3
    ashleyplus3 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    My pedometer tells me calories burned, and today I've taken 6735 steps - 3.40 miles - 243 calories burned. However - 5673 of those miles were aerobic - meaning I walked them at a brisk pace. I walked a 3 miles track today. SO, I'm not sure if your steps were aerobic or not, because I think that would factor into how many calories you burned. But if they were aerobic, your calorie burn would be close to mine! :smile:
  • going2losebig
    going2losebig Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks, for all the great advise. I walked for 30 mins and went 1.58 miles and took 3362 steps. So I divided 3362 by 3 (3 half miles) and I belive me average mile consist of 2240 steps. Those were my active steps. What I reported earlier were just my regular steps through out the day. I am going to like this, because it will motivate me to beat my prev. steps.