Make it go away!!!!

Options
I am referring to this non-stop debilitating headache that is pounding my skull and nestling right above my eyes! Does anyone have any tips for getting rid of it that doesn't require popping pills? I have been suffering headaches non-stop for over a week and a half and I am tired of drugging myself with advil and its not working anyway! I went to the doctor's today and she said it is stress related. Well I am going through a career transition, getting married, just a bought a house after months of searching and will be moving to the new place in less than a month so maybe she's not off the mark on that one but that doesn't solve the problem of how to get rid of them! My fiance, in his effort to be humourous did offer to cut my head off at the shoulders and while I may have been too quick to decline his offer I can't help but wonder is there a better way?! lol

So,,,,,, if anyone suffers from headaches and has non-medicinal solutions for getting rid of them I would really appreciate your input. My doctor did suggest to exercise more and stay hydrated but since I have been feeling so crappy lately i must admit I have not been working out like I should be and perhaps my diet is to blame as well.

I should also mention my neck has been hurting the entire time as well so basically I am falling out of warranty and could really use your help!

Replies

• emott84
    emott84 Posts: 108
    Options
    Headaches are often caused by strains or spasms in your neck muscles, and not actually anything to do with your head itself! Perhaps you've done something to your neck?

It's funny because I have had a headache all day, and was just rubbing my head and mentally groaning about it when I clicked on this topic, lol. I think I must've strained my neck yesterday at Anti-Gravity yoga - because Excedrin sure ain't working!
  • millesun
    millesun Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Be careful with over the counter head ache meds...they can cause Rebound headaches.......
    I had that problem myself. Remember lots of water....and deep breathing and sleep.
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I have taken this verbatim from my website. Hope you find it helpful.

Headache Relief Without Pills

What to do when headaches do not respond to traditional pain relief? Locate primary trigger points in the head, neck and shoulders and give yourself a five-minute massage.

1) Place your thumbs in front of your ears along your lower jawbone and press firmly into the muscles. You may want to grip your chin with your fingers to help establish a firm hold. Run your thumbs along the muscles of your jaw line from your ears to your chin.

2) Place your middle three fingers under your jaw line and drag them hard down the muscles that run along the sides of your neck.

3) Gently wrap your fingers around your neck with your thumbs placed firmly under the front of your collarbones. All the while pressing firmly, drag your thumbs across the full length of muscles that run under the clavicles from your throat to your shoulders. Especially notice the trigger points buried deeply on either sides of the neck muscles. If you find hard nodules, press firmly until you can no longer stand the pain and hold until you feel the pain diminish.

4) Move your hand position slightly so that your thumbs are nearest to the outer edges of your shoulders and your fingers are on either side of the backs of your shoulders between the spine and your wing bones. Now move your thumbs and your fingers simultaneously towards each other as you gently squeeze the muscles along the spine and across the tops of the shoulders.

5) Place your right hand up and over the back of your left shoulder blade. You may want to help your right hand reach back by gently pushing your right elbow back with your left hand. Run your fingers downward along the muscles under the blades. You'll find a trigger point just before you round the corner of your blade. Press your fingers as firmly as you can onto the trigger point until the pain subsides. Repeat to other side.

6) Feel for the occipital bone at the back of your head, usually half way down. Beginning with your fingers in the middle of the occipital, slowly press your fingers firmly into the tiny muscles working your way across the base of the skull until your come back to the underside of your ears. Press firmly up and into the flesh under your ears and behind your jawbone.

Additional Resource

http://www.triggerpointrelief.com
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    about 80% of the time when I have a nagging headache that won't go away (due to stress as well), I drink a lot of water and if after a day that doesn't help I will go buy a starbucks coffee...the caffeine helps my migraines and other headaches. It doesn't have to be starbucks but that's just what works for me. Good Luck! I know what you are dealing with I've been there too!
  • lisateachawa
    lisateachawa Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    :wink: A nice relaxing massage which will work on those over stressed muscles. You sound like you need some pampering anyway!
  • ablueskier
    ablueskier Posts: 104
    Options
    Is there light sensitivity with the headaches? Odd smells that no one else notices? Pain all on one side?

These are signs that it is a migraine and not stress related. If you just say " headache" to the doctor they may not know to question it further. If it is a migraine, caffeine is your friend and don't work out while the headache is in progress. instead of Advil try out Excedrin Migraine.
  • TaraLawrence11
    TaraLawrence11 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My doctor once told me to use 1 advil, 1 gravol and wash it down with some pepsi and it does work and I get very severe migraines!!
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    my remedies for a headache without taking something.
    1. make sure you have had enough water. When I haven't had enough I usually get a headache.
    2. Are you eating enough? Same thing if I am low on calories I will get a headache.
    3. Do you need a nap? When I am overtired I get a headache, I find naps help
    4. If none of the above help where it has been persistent for a week and your neck hurts you may want to see a Chiropractor or you may want to get your eyes checked to see you are having any eye strain depending on if you currently wear glasses or contacts. I recently had to get my prescription increased because of my headaches. Now they are all gone.

Those are my usually things I will do when my headaches will not go away. Another question would since you said your diet has been off, did you recently stop drinking anything that has caffeine in it?

That is all I can think of hopefully that helps you and I hope your headaches go away.
  • DAKTHREE
    DAKTHREE Posts: 52
    Options
    I had pain in those exact same spots 5 years ago. Kept taking Sudafed for sinus. Something caused me to think it was Diet Coke so I quit drinking it. My Doctor advised me to wean myself slow to avoid more headaches. Long story short headaches went away. I don't know if you are a Diet Soda drinker but wanted to share this just in case.
    Good Luck!!!
  • thisis4me
    thisis4me Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I was getting very bad headaches after eating and drinking anything with aspartame in it. Stopped doing that and they have not come back!! Good luck to you hope it goes away soon!!
  • freebirdschick
    freebirdschick Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I tend to get headaches fairly regularly. Something I just found that has worked for me is laying with a hot pad under my shoulders and the back of my neck/head. I tend to store tension in my shoulders and neck which causes a sinus like headache for some reason. I usually find relief in 20 to 30 minutes. Alternately I've tried ice on the back of my neck as well...I've just found that the heat seems to work better for me. And when all else fails...I LOVE my chiropractor! LOL
  • anewattitude
    anewattitude Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions! . I look forward to pain free days ahead :)

Again, I really appreciate the responses!!
  • imakatie
    imakatie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Dear Anewattitude:

I suffer from migraine headaches so I get what you're experiencing!
    i\I hold stress in my neck and shoulders which does not help with headaches.

You stated you are going through some life changes...the first step to reducing stress is being aware of what is stressing you...a major life change cause stress - you have several life changes occuring at one time...WOW, no wonder you have a continuous headache What can you do to relieve the headache and cope with your stress: Talk to your friends and family (who are willing to just listen) about what is going on...let others help with with packing/cleaning/moving...simplify what you can...make lists and cross off accomplishments and acknowledge you are accomplishing things....and sometimes just accept that life is stressful.

what can you do? I find that relaxation techniques help (deep breathing, head to toe progression muscle tense release); easy stretching exercises for the neck and shoulders; taking a hot bath and relaxing or a hot shower and just standing in the shower and letting the water run over my neck and shoulders; making sure i drink more water; going for a walk or just sitting outside if it is nice (if it isn't nice I sit in my comfy chair and enjoy the scenery on my street); drinking an herbal tea while listening to calming music or environmental CD's; reading poetry or a book; sometimes laying down with my feet elevated in a quiet darkened room helps.

headaches are no fun and can be debilitating...be good to yourself...stretch then relax your neck muscles and tell your fiance that instead of cutting off your head...why not give a neck/shoulder/foot massage and he prepares the meal...better yet he acknowledges all you are doing, the stress you are under and takes you out for dinner :)

Take care and I hope you feel better soon
  • Waynes_World
    Options
    Wish I could make the pain go away for ya ;{

Tell your man to give you a nice long massage :flowerforyou:
  • landorki
    landorki Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Headaches are often caused by strains or spasms in your neck muscles, and not actually anything to do with your head itself! Perhaps you've done something to your neck?

THIS! I suffer from Migraines and my husband just rubs my shoulders, mainly my trap muscles and I do a little neck rolls and I am feeling better in minutes!
  • anewattitude
    anewattitude Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    These are all fantastic suggestions!

I especially like the ones that state my fiance should give me more massages! Perhaps I should tell him its Doctor's orders! LOL

Thanks everyone! You're the best!!!:happy:
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I too have had headaches that would not go away. On one occurrance the migraine lasted weeks. After a couple of adjustments from the chiropractor and her recommendation to put an ice pack on my neck it finally resolved.
    I also get headaches whenever I eat or drink anything with splenda, equal or any sugar substitutes.
  • joanne1953
    joanne1953 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My personal experience is this: after years of chronic migraines, once I gave up drinking Diet soda, I only rarely get a headache now and it is considerably milder, too.
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    Have you changed your diet?? liek going no carb or no sugar?? that can cause a bugger of a headache.... if that is the case, it should be over soon
  • ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I personally feel I am the QUEEN of headaches since I've had them so often lately. For me, the best remedy is laying down with a heat pad on your forehead. Works so much better for me than any Excedrin or Tylenol, etc.