help !!!!!!

Options
Iam doing good with my calories iam always able to stay below everyday but i cant seem to stay under my sodium ,is sodium really that important and if so what foods should i be eating to stay under bc iam obviously choosing the wrong ones.Thanks !!

Replies

• DenShort
    DenShort Posts: 39
    Options
    having too much sodium makes you retain water.

are you eating a lot of processed foods? these tend to be very high in sodium. it's not the end of the world to go over but it's not very healthy but you will still lose weight :)
  • Sarawoods
    Sarawoods Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    well i dont know to much but n do know that a high sodium intake can make you retain water, and when trying to lose weight you definitely do not want to retain water. sorry im not much help.
  • bigbeth_02
    bigbeth_02 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i usally have cereal for breakfast and lunch a turkey sandwhich and fruit then dinner is always different , i usually always cook but its different .
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    it isn't great for you not only for water but for long term health issues. that being said it is hard to cut it out also. shop smart (ie i even pay more for starkist canned tuna because the sodium is better for me then the market brand). I also avoid processed whenever possible and don't double and triple up in a single day. i tend to stay under just by being smarter when i can.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Too much salt makes you retain water.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    While water retention is a negative effect when looking to lose weight there are more serious risks to consider as well, among these are high blood pressure, and a more increased risk of heart disease, and kidney function as well. So it isn't simply a matter of water retention. I go from super healthy to super unhealthy, but I've decided to put my foot down and remain healthy. Personally, I try and eat as many fresh products as possible, such as grilling meat on the george foreman grill, steamed veggies, oatmeal. Maybe play around with the calory calculator before eating so you can see what your calories could be then you can see what there is to work with. Bottom line, as someone else mentioned there are serious health risks involved with a high sodium diet, eat fresh foods and pay a few extra cents if needed to purchase a product lower in sodium.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Ok....I looked over your diary...I will tell you the things that stuck out to me:

-Regular taco seasoning-use Mrs. Dash fiesta lime seasoning and 1/4 of a envelope of reduced sodium taco seasoning.

-Fajitas- Are these homemade or pre-packaged? Making your own and using your own seasonings like Mrs. Dash fiesta lime seasoning (no sodium), chipotle seasoning, cilantro, salsa, diced peppers, onions. You can make fajitas in advance and freeze individual servings in zip lock bags.

-Lunch meat-Don't eat it. I have only found one brand (Hormel-natures choice, I think) that isn't full of nitrates, MSG, preservatives, modified food starch, etc. Cook boneless, skinless chicken breasts ahead of time and slice that for sandwiches.

-Casserole-homemade or pre-made? I know using fresh veggies isn't always possible. You can make things with no salt added veggies or at least rinse the veggies you do use. Add a tiny bit of salt if you need to. If you use soup (like cream of mushroom) find the low sodium version. Use 1/2 soup and 1/2 sour cream. That cuts the sodium down.

Pizza-pre-packaged and restaurant pizza are going to be crammed full of sodium. You can make your own pizza. I use flat bread, Naan, and Pitas. Use veggies....meats like pepperoni, ham, and canadian bacon are full of not just sodium, but also nitrates and other chemicals.
    Pickles-most larger grocery stores sell low sodium pickles.

I only went back to Sunday in your diary...but these were just some suggestions I had for the items you are eating that are high in sodium. Sodium is a biggie for me too. I struggle with it daily. I wish you luck!