Fat girl spinning??

Options
Okay, people. I weigh 287 right now, and I REALLY want to try spinning. I've heard how awesome it is and how many calories you can burn. I've tried it once, when I weighed about this weight, and I couldn't even make it through one song. It was terrible. AND, I don't know any other way to say it, but my crotch HURT for DAYS after, to the point where I could barely sit!

Is it b/c I weigh so much and it's maybe something I should try as I get smaller?

Or can a fat girl get her spin on?!

Help! :)

Replies

• e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    i've been trying to spin, too! we have a spin bike w/video at my gym and i've tried to use it a couple times. and i always jump off after like 10 minutes because the seat hurts my back-end! it helps to stand while pedaling, but it's a killer on your legs! i guess that's how you know it's working...but if i can't use the treadmill, i go for the bike because i HATE elliptical machines...
  • e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    i've been trying to spin, too! we have a spin bike w/video at my gym and i've tried to use it a couple times. and i always jump off after like 10 minutes because the seat hurts my back-end! it helps to stand while pedaling, but it's a killer on your legs! i guess that's how you know it's working...but if i can't use the treadmill, i go for the bike because i HATE elliptical machines...
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    spinning is a really great workout! if it hurts to spin for u.. try doing the other bike first to build muscles there and you will also burn calories and lose inches as well.

that's what i had to do for about a couple of weeks.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I started spinning when I was 255. I lost 2 lbs a week for 5 months with just 2 spin classes a week.

Yes you can spin, I have seen others do it. My guess is that you tried to go too hard too fast. The class actually is your own workout as you control the resistance and speed. The first class is always the hardest and yes, your butt will hurt the worst. It does stop hurting if you continue to go. It also helps if you stand up in class if your butt starts to hurt.

If you feel this is too difficult for you, give the c25k program a try. I had started running before I did the spin class and I'm sure it helped a lot.
  • CallMeMamaBoo
    Options
    When I started out on the bike it hurt like heck for the first month and then one day I noticed that I went an entire hour with zero discomfort. I don't know if it's because my bum got used to it or because I lost 20 lbs either way it was definitely worth sticking to it!
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I would try talking to some of the instructors at your gym. See if they have suggestions on how tonbuild your endurance. You cab also get a seat pad to help ease the crotch pain. Personally I felt it was to slippery unstable, and just built up a tolerance. Bit I do see a few other women using them.

I am quickly becoming the spin girl who used to be fat.
  • KaitieBug
    KaitieBug Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    no honey it's not you!!!:flowerforyou: i HATE spinning (well, i LOVE the workout, but...) it has ALWAYS hurt my *kitten* and hooha and it hurts so much i refuse to go often, so i can't "get used to it". :grumble: the few occasions i go, i just stand the whole time. and those "cushions" they have don't work, for me anyway.:ohwell: keep on truckin, girl!! i hear you get used to it after a few classes...either that, or try other things easier on the butt bones!:laugh: :drinker:
  • tinalina81
    Options
    I went spinning today ( I am 170 right now) and I kept up with it even though it was hard and yes my sitbones and other bones down there hurt after but that goes away the longer you do it. You could also buy a cushion for the seat at walmart that is what I am going to do. Try and do it again and tell the teacher that you are a first timer, she or he will help you get setup, it is very hard to set up the bike the right way when you don't know what to look for. And alos you don't have to do all the things the teacher says. If it gets really hard I generally just sit and pedal at a fairly high resistance. You are still burning calories but are not killing yourself.
    Try it again.. com on you can do it!:bigsmile:
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    You will likely get the tush pain on a regular bike as well. I would suggest getting some padded spin shorts. They are cycling shorts with a little less padding. Just google them.
  • no_worries
    no_worries Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    There are a few larger girls in my spin class and they can out spin me! So yes, you can do it!
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I was just gonna post a topic about spinning to see what to expect and if any padding is needed and what kind. I appreciate all these resopnses.
  • Icandoittoday
    Options
    yes e1lindsay bikes are killer on the back-end & legs. I don't like them or treadmills. Ellipticals are the best! They burn soooo many more cals than the treadmill or bike. A gazell type of machine is pretty cool too. it burns even more cals than the elliptical!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    yes e1lindsay bikes are killer on the back-end & legs. I don't like them or treadmills. Ellipticals are the best! They burn soooo many more cals than the treadmill or bike. A gazell type of machine is pretty cool too. it burns even more cals than the elliptical!

A gazelle! There's no resistance! How could that possibly burn more calories?

As far as elliptical vs. bike, I could see that argument going either way. It all depends which one you can push yourself harder on. Personally I can push myself harder on a bike because it's easier to control the resistance. It's also easier to sprint, which really gets my heart moving.
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Start at the beginner classes. They are usually shorter so don't hurt so bad. I did two months of beginner classes before going to a full class. For the first month I hated every minute because of being sore but once my butt got used to it then it became easier and now I love the class.

There are all shapes and sizes at the spin class at my gym.

There was one larger lady next to me at the class on Saturday. I thought she was awesome. Back when I was her size I wouldn't of had the nerve to even enter the gym.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago I saw a girl so large she was struggling to fit on the bike sitting right in the window of the studio. I went into another class but she was still there at the end so it must have been possible. I was very impressed. I'd say get a seat pad and keep going if you enjoy it. It would be my idea of total hell and I'm quite small but I have massive respect for anyone of any size who can do it regularly.
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    They call it "virgin butt" when you find yourself so sore starting a class. Happens to everyone starting out. Padded shorts are essential in the beginning, and your fanny will get used to the seat and not be sore down the road.

Another option is to rise out of the seat a bit, or a lot. It's your workout and in these classes people all the time modify their workout a bit to suit.

Also shift a bit front to back or move your seat over a bit to one side then the other so you aren't constantly on one pressure point. Experienced bikers do this all the time and it is one of the tricks to staying comfortable on longer rides. No one will even notice you are doing it.

If you really like these classes, don't give up. It is a terrific workout!
  • jam3114
    jam3114 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    don't see why not - I was about 250 + spinning & was able for it - mind you when I went to the class first I thought I'd die but I got some work out - haven't been back in ages I think the sore rear end put me off :blushing:
  • Angeladobush
    Angeladobush Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I spin almost daily because I suffer with Plantar Faciitis and it a painless workout as far as my feet are concerned. It is difficult in the beginning because as with any new execise routine, you are working muscles that aren't in shape. I too quit several times in the beginning but found that I needed to push past the mental road block that was before me. I would actually tell myself that I just couldn't do it. The great thing about spinning is that everyone works at their own pace while still being in the group setting. Working with a group tends to help us hang in longer. As far as the seat being a pain in your b..... yes it is very hard in the beginning, but it does get better with time. You can use it to motivate you to ride standing up which will take your heart rate even higher....I have gotten much better and can do many programs from start to finish.....hang in there, it really is a great and low impact form of exercise.....start out slow and work your way up......I hope this helps you!