Peanut butter on whole wheat bread?

Options
alright so I'm just trying to get some opinions on having a peanut butter sandwich. No jelly just peanut butter. Is it alright to have once in a while. I was thinking of having a peanut butter sandwich with an apple and celery for lunch tomorrow. Sound ok???

Replies

• Teeeravis
    Teeeravis Posts: 16
    Options
    If it fits in your calorie goals, sounds fine :)...omitting the jelly will keep it low GI, which is probably good, some protein and fiber in there. Sounds good to me :). nom.
  • ariasbano
    ariasbano Posts: 11
    Options
    whats GI?
  • Jaedynmoon
    Jaedynmoon Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I do PBJ's often for lunches and my numbers are always good! I use Smucker's Simply Fruit jelly and it's 45 cals for a tbsp. I love PBJ's and I often eat them with apples too :) Enjoy it!
  • carrie145
    carrie145 Posts: 297
    Options
    I do PBJ's often for lunches and my numbers are always good! I use Smucker's Simply Fruit jelly and it's 45 cals for a tbsp. I love PBJ's and I often eat them with apples too :) Enjoy it!

I was just gonna say the Smucker's Simply Fruit..It's really good!
  • dietcokeplease
    dietcokeplease Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    That's almost exactly what I eat for either lunch or dinner each day. I've never been a jelly fan! I think I'm going to start eating it open faced and eat more fruit or veg instead of the extra piece of bread. Or just dip celery/apples in it; I feel like a lot of my calorie intake is carbs so I'd like to cut it down a bit. Enjoy your lunch!
  • RichGebs
    RichGebs Posts: 345
    Options
    Arias- GL means good luck and everyone else.. I stopped eating peanut butter sandwiches because I heard they were bad fats for you so I just stopped. How many calories you think are in them like 250ish?? Just peanut butter
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,211 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with Peanut Butter as long as it is the all natural type--you know the one where the oil will separate out. Just read the ingredients on the other type and you will realize it is full of other stuff including sugar that is not good for you. Peanuts are good for you, so the all natural peanut butter is fine in a sandwich as long as you stay within your calorie budget.
  • Jaedynmoon
    Options
    I know it's amazing!! Definitely my favorite jelly :)

I was just gonna say the Smucker's Simply Fruit..It's really good!
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    whats GI?

He means low on the Glycemic Index. Has to do with how different foods affect insulin release, and are classified as high on the GI scale (quick insulin release), or low (slow and steady insulin release). But if you google Glycemic Index there is a wealth of info.
  • RichGebs
    Options
    Yeah Riley I agree. I have jiff In my house. And by lunch I'd only have about 230-300 calories out of 2140 so I'm definately good!
  • Jaedynmoon
    Options
    Well, the numbers will differ depending on your items you use but mine comes out to:

130 for the bread
    95 for 1 tbsp Peanut Butter
    45 for 1 tbsp jelly
    =270 for the whole sandwich If I do 2 tbsp peanut butter it makes it 365. I keep my cals around 1300 and I have no problem at all eating PBJ's :)

Arias- GL means good luck and everyone else.. I stopped eating peanut butter sandwiches because I heard they were bad fats for you so I just stopped. How many calories you think are in them like 250ish?? Just peanut butter
  • RichGebs
    Options
    Ah I see when I search peanut butter sandwiches on MFP they come up as like 250-270 cals so I always just put that
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    whats GI?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=GI

Natural PB all the way. It's cheaper and healthier. Win/win
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    It's so good. I just had a slice and half a tbsp for a snack :)
    Especially if you have it for breakfast, and toast the bread so it's nice and crunchy.
  • littlemissanguissette
    littlemissanguissette Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I put my peanut butter on toast, or a toasted wheat bagel, and I sprinkle it with whole flax seeds.

I can't just do a straight PB sandwich, I need something with it like honey or sugar free jelly.
  • RichB77
    RichB77 Posts: 88
    Options
    I have the crunchy Whole Earth peanut butter with no added sugar on a slice of wholemeal toast an hour before i go spinning, love it

:drinker:
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    More then OK, it is the perfect meal. When I have extra calories to eat, I always eat pnb on ww.
  • RichGebs
    Options
    Awesome guys