Could someone please help?

Options
I am trying so hard to eat right & exercise, but I am ALWAYS over my sugars & fats each day. Would anyone be willing to look at my food diary & make suggestions on how I can eat better?

Breakfast is really hard for me. I am not a morning person & so even if I "log" that I ate something for breakfast, I don't really mean that I ate that until 10:30 or 11:00a.m. - Could this also be a problem?

Thank you for anyone who can help!!

Replies

• j_fattler
    j_fattler Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I think I just fixed it so my diary should be public now. Sorry about that!
  • e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    i went to your profile and couldn't access your food diary...is it set to public? If you're eating alot of fruits during the day, that can raise your sugars. just remember that alot of healthy foods contain natural sugar, which isn't as big of a deal as refined sugars. A good rule of thumb for me is if i'm buying something out of a package, i look at the ingredients. if any of the words: Sugar, Cane Juice, Corn Syrup or High Fructose Corn Syrup appear within the first 3 ingredients listed, i don't buy it. I also look for stuff with less then 5 grams of sugar per serving.
    Same goes for fat...there is good fat and bad fat...
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Alcohol has a ton of sugar, fruit drinks do too.....opt of tropicana 50% less sugar.....look on the ingredients when purchasing and opt for the low-fat, low-calorie versions if available......hope this helps....
  • lalalalyndsey
    Options
    I see that most of your sugar and fat is coming from processed foods. You should try and cut back on processed foods like fruit punch... which usually isn't made of fruit juice and is full of sugar, or buttered popcorn... which is full of carbs and processed fat. Cutting these types of things out and swapping in fruit juices that are 100% juice (and no sugar added) or just have a piece of fruit , and regular popcorn (although I would suggest not having popcorn which is a carb and instead trying a healthier snack, like nuts or fruit)!

Looking at ingredients and nutritional info on all foods that you buy helps a bunch! I hope this helps a bit!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI!looks like a high sodium day also.maybe drink more water and watch the salt intake on foods.good luck
    jane:wink:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I noticed you aren't drinking much water and you aren't really eating breakfast. These could be the problem. Eating breakfast in the morning jump starts your metabolism and can help keep you from eating foolishly later in the day because you've gone so long without eating. Drinking plenty of water helps you flush toxins out and keeps you from holding onto excess water weight. You seem to be eating all of your calories later in the day as well. As for the sugar, you aren't over it by much - mostly just when you are drinking fruit punch or doing jello shots or something like that. Otherwise, your other foods don't seem too sugary to me. But I'm no expert...
  • e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    air-popped popcorn is a great snack! it's tasty, almost zilch in calories and super high in fiber! it's the all natural, whole grain snack!
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    You should drink more water (aim for 8 cups a day) and less juice. Water not only flushes toxins from your body - it also helps flush fat from your body. Try to eat a balance of protein/carbs/fat with each meal. Eating protein and good fat with your carbs will help you matabolize your food better.
  • suziehomemaker
    Options
    i took a peek and from what i can see there are lots of ways you could improve heres a few

first off try to eat as clean as you can, meaning as natural and unprocessed as possible, processing puts all the bad stuff into seemingly good food,

2you can counteract your sodium with potassium they they bond together and eliminate each other so try to stay the same or over on your potassium as your sodium

3 drink water like crazy i find it easier to drink pretty much only water i drink a tea and a coffee a day the rest of the time its water

• suziehomemaker
    Options
    let me try that again...... i was on

4 try to cut down as much as possible on sugar, whether natural (fruit) or processed its all the same to your body and it turns to fat upon entering your body

i hope some of these things help you....if your not sure about some of the stuff i mentioned there are a few really good articles on this site...best of luck
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I took a look at the past week of what you ate. The one thing I noticed is that you're usually going over on fats and sugars because of one or two items each day, so it shouldn't be too difficult to make some better substitutes. Here are some suggestions:

-Instead of Peaches-n-Cream oatmeal, try regular oatmeal sweetened with honey (throw in fruit if desired)
    -Try to find a whole grain breakfast cereal other than Raisin Bran...the bran flakes are great but the raisins are packed with sugar
    -Watch jarred spaghetti sauces closely, they're usually packed with sugar to make 'em taste good. I use the cans of plain tomato sauce and doctor them up instead (way lower calorie, add just a little sugar/Splenda if need be)
    -Skipping the butter on your popcorn will lower your fat intake big time, or switch to a low-fat microwave popcorn
    -Try Bisquick instead of the sugar-loaded pancake mix...Bisquick only has 1 g. of sugar per serving

Cut down on:
    -Cookies, a couple of your really high sugar/fat days were pretty much to blame on a cookie, 24g of sugar in one
    -Jello shots, that was the biggie for today
    -Fruit snacks
    -Juice boxes...had as much sugar as the cookies
    -Chocolate chips

It's okay to have treats every now and then, of course. But you're often having numerous "treats" in one day, which is going to make it hard to stay under sugar/fat goals. It's also probably going to make it more difficult to stick to your eating plan in the long run because it's hard to feel satiated on 1200 calories if many of those calories are "empty" sugar calories or bad fats. Hope this helps and best of luck to you on your journey!
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    let me try that again...... i was on

4 try to cut down as much as possible on sugar, whether natural (fruit) or processed its all the same to your body and it turns to fat upon entering your body

i hope some of these things help you....if your not sure about some of the stuff i mentioned there are a few really good articles on this site...best of luck

I have to disagree with the comment about fruit sugar being the same as processed cane sugar. It's not. Sugar from fruit (fructose) has a glycemic index of 20 while table sugar (sucrose) has a glycemic index of 59. The elevating effects on blood sugar from a piece of fruit with 20g of fructose is 1/3rd of that from a quantity of candy with 20g of sucrose. Also, fruit provides nutrients and fiber...most processed foods with sugar do not.

Too much sugar in any form is not good, but for this individual I think switching from the processed things she's been eating to fruit would be a huge step in the right direction.
  • dietcokeplease
    dietcokeplease Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, those Jell-o shots have tons of sugar; the alcohol and the gelatinous treat itself. If you want to have a cocktail with friends when you're out, try a weaker mixed drink that's diluted with a little sparkling water or club soda. Little sips, just nurse it all night. It'll save you money and sugar.
  • DenLeb
    DenLeb Posts: 1
    Options
    noticed none of your salad dressings were "light". Check the labels on the back, way less calories and fat in the light dressings and they taste just as good!
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Ok, my suggestions... either cut out the popcorn or buy unbuttered or 'light'. it is one of the things that is pushing your fat WAY out there. As for sugars... there are a lot of juices and 'jello shots'. I know it's fun, but alcohol contains a lot of sugar and really isn't conducive to weight loss... and the jello is pretty sugary too, so I'd cut back on or cut those out completely. Make them a RARE treat or something. And the juices.... well... there are actually a few 'diet' juices out there now with little to no sugars in them, so you should give those a try. I've tried them and I can't tell the diff from the real thing. If you have other questions or just wanna talk, feel free to message me. :D